1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A. Smith: CP3 is the biggest loser of the offseason. Thunder is better than Houston.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Sep 25, 2017.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

What pisses me off is that we got one of the 10 best players in the NBA and one of the greatest pgs in the history of the game and these little b****es come out of the woodwork to complain about Carmelo Freaking Anthony. Is this 2007?
    I agree that he would be an upgrade to Ryan anderson but that’s where I draw the line. This should be an exciting media day but these little children keep crying about not getting two new toys instead of just one. This could be a great team let them at least get on the court.

Hui, BigMaloe, DonKnock and 2 others like this.
  2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Espns most espn-y show said something straight out of the ESPN handbook?

I'm shocked

3. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

the only rockets fan that buys this bullshit line of thinking are those that don't rate capela. that's the only way we get melo and i wouldn't even trade olympics melo for capela. we made the best offer we could to allow for melo to improve our team and that was ryan anderson. anyone else and melo isn't enough.

DonKnock, Tha_Dude and kevtse like this.
  4. AXG

AXG Member

The Thunder improved this offseason. They will now take the Clippers' annual 4th seed and 1st/2nd round out. Outside of their big 3, that team is garbage.

Cstyle42 likes this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There should be some sort of auto ban for ever posting anything first take related.

BigMaloe and Nook like this.
  6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

This whole notion that Gordon is a better basketball player than Melo is kind of ridiculous. I get what you're saying with respect to our team and all, but for me it simply comes down to if you were to play that Game 6 against the Spurs, would you rather have Melo or Gordon? Even Morey agreed that come playoff time you need the players like Melo more; and thats why he was adamant about getting him.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Thank u. The constant crying on here is getting dumb. Morey is obsessed with stars, and he managed to get a top 10 player here in CP3. People really think that Morey would let Ariza and Gordon get in the way of acquiring Melo if his arrival impacted whether CP3 stays here in any significant way? CP3 came here because of Harden's recruiting and his trust in the organization.

BigMaloe and DonKnock like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don't think he can design a fluid, free flowing offense so I wouldn't be surprised if OKC's offense was just Russ, PG, and Melo taking turns going 1 on 1

OKC has been last in the NBA in passes per possession in Donovan's 2 seasons there

BigMaloe and onreego like this.
  9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Melo and Rockets = Riskier move. Lower floor.

Ryno and Rockets = Less risky. Ceiling similar.

Don't underestimate this Chris Paul character.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Pot, kettle, Black

Stephen A is a loser himself

11. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Call me when he (a so called NBA expert) predicts the Finals right more than once in 8 years. Jimmy Fallon's Puppy Predictors are more accurate.

12. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

For the first time ever I agree with his evaluation.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Don't think this part is true. Ryno was an utter disaster in the playoffs, and it is absolutely a bigger risk rolling with him in the playoffs as opposed to Carmelo Anthony. I would agree that the ceiling isn't substantially higher, but the floor is certainly much lower.

14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Well i know we will at least get to western conference finals this year now. Lowered expectations. Good.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

ESPN's Basketball Power Index projected us to be the 2nd best team in the NBA behind GS...we were projected to be 5.1 points better than the average team, and this was without Melo...OKC was projected to be 3.8 points better than the average team with PG and Russ

Does the addition of Melo make up that difference? I wanted Melo here because he is a definite upgrade over Ryno and a much better option than him in the playoffs, but a lot of people seem to be under the impression that he is still some elite player. He had the impact of a slightly above average player last season. He is clearly declining.

ESPN's RPM projections also had us as the 2nd best team in the NBA. We were projected to win 55 games, while OKC was projected to win 49.5. Does adding Melo give them 5.5 more wins according to RPM?

Vegas had our over/under at 55.5 without Melo which was the 3rd highest behind GS and Boston while OKC's was at 51.5. Does adding Melo make up that difference?

BigMaloe, DonKnock and Tha_Dude like this.
  16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

They don't play basketball they are Avengers we have less they have more lol

17. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Lol! Nobody was in line to sign with team X cause melo was going there!
    CP3 came to Houston to win with Harden!

J Sizzle likes this.
  18. onreego

onreego Member

That's the thing. What makes GSW work? That system. Kerr has them bought in and playing for each other.

Why do we fear SA every year regardless of who they pick up? Pop.

Donovan to me is OKC's McHale. He's gonna roll the ball out there and see what happens. Underutilized Oladipo. Didn't know what to do with a McNuggets. Don't get me wrong, they'll win games on talent alone but that's only gonna get them so far.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Media Evaluation: "OKC has 3 stars, Rockets have 2. OKC better." /end analysis.

DonKnock and heypartner like this.
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

TNT > ESPN

Barkley/Kenny > Smith/Kellerman