1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stem Cells and Cloning

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sishir Chang, May 20, 2005.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

MartianMan: The New Champion of Abstinance! :D

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This guy just called and said he thinks cloning is a great idea.

[​IMG]

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

LOL

HOnestly though
    Would anyone be upset if the government said
    we will clone people. .to fight wars
    NO MORE OF YOUR CHILDREN NEED DIE . . ONLY THEIR CLONES

Who would complain .. . who would be against that
    IT WOULD BE UNAMERICAN to want our kids to die when we
    have an alternative

Rocket River

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If you can not have a child for what ever reason, you can not clone yourself? Why is that?

5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

6. MadMax

What you're talking about is EXACTLY why I'm against human cloning. Exactly, exactly, exactly. We're taking human life and calling it something less than that...creating a lower tier of persons whom we can drain for biological resources and send to fight our wars. Bad, bad, bad idea.

7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i haven't read through all the posts in this thread, but the issue as i understand it is whether embryoes left over from IVF treatments are to be discarded, kept frozen indefinitely, or used for this research. as the proud father of two children conceived by IVF, and as one who is profoundly troubled by abortion, although not on religious grounds, i think the last option is by far the best. how are either of the others more "humane?" and isn't the possibility of curing horrible diseases worth the minimal risks involved?

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Excellent. Couldn't agree more.

Keep D&D Civil!!

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

[​IMG]

That is why we need a droid army.

10. MadMax

But be careful:

[​IMG]

11. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

So you must not be against the use of embryos that are created for IVF, right?

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No... you should all be careful of this guy.

[​IMG]

13. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Are we going to see pretty soon in US bombing of stem cell research labs using frozen embryos if cloning gets underway? Maybe religious fanatics here can provide some insights.

EDIT 1: Only fanatics need to reply.
    EDIT 2: Change fanatics to "fanatics who at least sympathize with abortion clinic bombing/abortion doctor threathening" need to reply.

Note to MadMax: sorry I didn't make myself clear sooner. Please don't get upset I lump "religious" together with "fanatics". Admit it or not, there are plenty out there in the US, all sorts. I gather their 1st amendment rights are protected as far as the expressions of symphathy towards these actions are concerned.

#33 wnes, May 23, 2005
    Last edited: May 23, 2005
  14. MadMax

it's on my list, right behind blowing up statues of Buddha.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The government would probably give custody to the most distant genetic relative. There's been court battles over the property of sperm and egg storage once the orginator has passed away. Some people even store embryos from other procedures and use them once the spouse passes away. I think the courts would use those cases as precedents to decide the issue of clones. So in a sense, could you ask your children, who are one of your closest genetic matches, to give up a kidney without their consent? We assume that the parent and child share loving genetic bonds, but what if the parent only wants them as organ farms?

Still, it won't be as simple as that because the definition of parent and conception will also come into question. Rights of the parent will be given to the biological donors, the financial host (sometimes the same as the others), and the lab doing all the work. But the precedent set by in vitro fertilization can still be applied here.

In vitro fertilization, test tube babies, is the process were they take eggs out of the women, stick a sperm cell inside each one of them, and repeat that process 10 or more times. They make those many embryos and put 3 or four of them inside the woman because it's a crap shoot on its success. If the first attempt fails, they take three or four more of those embryos and do it again. Can anyone define life on those completed embryos as a natural process? Anyways, when the parents satisfied or out of money, they have the option on what to do with the other embryos, freeze them or throw them away... which could be used for stem cell research in other countries. If they freeze them, the parents are assuming their custody of those fertilized eggs, but they have to pay for its maintenance. A more passionate angle could call it child support. Future parentage rights through artificial processes will be defined by contracts relinquishing and assuming them (Michael Jackson...).

I believe Catholics are consistent in their voice against in vitro fertilization. Most of the other groups haven't paid much public attention to the destruction of embryos through this method to create life. Because fertility rates are plummeting as the industrialized world gets older (it's related in the sense that birth control pills and their persistent hormones are being flushed down are getting used up in our water supply), there is a powerful family lobby that will fight for in vitro fertilization and other artificial pregnancy methods. These lobbies conveniently downplay the destruction of possible life and some of the pro-life groups won't take it on because it'll damage their political clout if they do.

16. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Well I presume Mad Max is fanatical about the Rockets but then again so am I. So there's nothing wrong with a little fanaticism. :D

I've got a couple that I'd be willing to trade for some Bibles I could flush down the toilet. ;)

17. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Every night when I put my child to sleep I tell him. "Someday you'll be big enough for daddy to harvest your organs.";)

I brought up this issue in the latest abortion thread and at least one pro-life came out against it since it kills embryos.

18. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I have no problem with Max. I look at the man through his posts, I can get a sense of his soul.

19. MadMax

nah..that's just gas.

20. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

KANSAS:
    Lord Vader, this is an unexpected pleasure.
    We're honored by your presence.

VADER:
    You may dispense with the pleasantries,
    Kansas. I'm here to put your stem-cell research back on
    schedule.

Kansas turns ashen and begins to shake.

KANSAS:
    I assure you, Lord Vader, my scientists are working
    as fast as they can.

VADER:
    Perhaps I can find new ways to
    motivate them.

KANSAS:
    I tell you, the stem-cell research and new, evil clones will be operational
    as planned.

VADER:
    The Emperor does not share your
    optimistic appraisal of the situation.

KANSAS:
    But he asks the impossible. I need more scientists.

VADER:
    Then perhaps you can tell him when he
    arrives.

KANSAS: (aghast)
    The Emperor's coming here?

VADER:
    That is correct, Commander. And he is most
    displeased with your apparent lack of
    progress.

KANSAS:
    We shall double our efforts.

VADER: