1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Stein) Jalen Green joining East Asia Super League as investor and ambassador

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jun 1, 2022.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Houston Rockets guard Jalen Green, freshly named to the All-Rookie First Team last month, is expanding his profile internationally as he moves into his second NBA season.

In a recent phone interview, Green told me he is joining the East Asia Super League — which will feature teams from greater China, Japan, Korea and the Philippines — as an ambassador and investor. Retired NBAers Baron Davis, Metta Sandiford-Artest and Shane Battier hold similar roles with the fledgling league.

Born to a Filipino mother and having quickly emerged as a franchise cornerstone for a Houston team that has long been one of Asia’s most popular, Green already had a significant standing in the region. That only figures to expand now through his association with the EASL, which is scheduled to unveil its new format in October featuring eight teams in Asia’s first interleague competition sanctioned by FIBA, basketball’s world governing body.

“I just want to put the Asian basketball community on the map,” Green said, expressing hope that he can be “an inspiration for the next generation of hoopers in Asia.”

“Especially in the Philippines,” Green added, “because I have background there.”

Green, drafted No. 2 overall by the Rockets in 2021 after Detroit’s selection of Cade Cunningham, is just the third player in NBA history of Filipino descent (joining Raymond Townsend and Jordan Clarkson) and has been immensely popular in the Philippines since scoring 51 points in a game at the Mall of Asia Arena in 2018 on his first trip to his mother Bree Purganan’s homeland.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This is pretty cool. Power to us mutts! ;).

break down those barriers.

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

May I derail this for just a quick second?

Metta Sandiford-Artest? I thought his name was World Peace.

Back to the subject: Jalen is a connector of worlds. Love the guy! This is why I put stock behind him over a very promising Mobley during last year's draft... dude just knows how to bring people together.

TriumVirate and Two Sandwiches like this.
  5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I commend JG on what he's doing, but we need him to stay healthy. Nightmares of Yao playing year round come to mind.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Jalen seems so laid back, but underneath, there's a lion. This is more evidence of that. Get it, kid.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Buddy he's not playing in the league. He's an investor and ambassador. Dont worry this is good! :D Our lil bro is out there knocking out modeling campaigns and now he's expanding his reach as a name - all after his very first NBA season! Pretty awesome stuff.

Erik Spoelstra 2024 - CMON DOWN!! ;)

Plowman likes this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He does seem to have his eyes on the big picture of his career ala Lebron.

That means he’s smart and listens to his business advisors. A kid who is willing to listen is always great and can only translate well when it comes to coaching them up.

Two Sandwiches and TriumVirate like this.
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Really brilliant move to be honest, it’s going to make him a crazy amount of money. They’ll sell out every game forever and more NBA talent will emerge from that league.

TriumVirate likes this.
  10. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Yup ... good for him to invest so early in his career. There are far too many professional sports players that blow up their generational wealth by spending recklessly. On the coachablility thing, it's one of the reason why I was high on Jalen before the season started. People have all said how he works hard and listens to the coaching staff.

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gotcha! :D

Verbal Christ likes this.