1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stein] Carmelo Anthony set to sign with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 23, 2018.

?

Do you like the signing of Carmelo Anthony?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2019.
  1. YES

90.9%
  2. NO

9.1%
  1. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

You are very off base.

Examples of my sparring

“Melo has always been a bad teammate”

This is categorically false. His teammates have rarely...RARELY had issues with him. He’s was actually teammate of the year(lol I’ll laugh for you guys) his final year in New York

“Melo sucked in OKC”

Okay cool, let’s breakdown the numbers and see why

“Jazz got anything they wanted vs Melo”

Okay cool, DRTG says otherwise and now I’m told that stat doesn’t matter anymore.

At the end of the day I’ve outline Melo’s weaknesses, the mentality he needs to have now, things he needs to do this off-season and during the season and that has all been bypassed. So regardless of what you all think I could care less.

RyanB and BigShasta like this.
  2. Chamillionaire

He's gonna get so many good looks.

#622 Chamillionaire, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  3. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

I’ve never slandered Ariza. I’m using numbers to see why the perception doesn’t match the statistics. It’s a weird case to me because like I said I’m prettt sure Ariza was much more impactful vs GS than numbers show but dammit if the numbers do not support that claim. That is very weird to me.

Don’t ask me how I became a Melo fan. Last time someone asked me a personal question it was disguised as a joke and dudes jumped in laughing at me. So I’m good. I’ll keep discussing basketball and leave personal things out of it.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Anyone who thinks Melo is WAY past his prime (like Joe Johnson) or that he won't be a MASSIVE upgrade offensively from Ariza is insane.

All the team has to do is find a way to hide his defensively deficiencies. With our switch-everything D, that's not impossible.

Come playoff time next year, you guys are going to be soooooooooooo glad we landed this guy.

dlite316, DonKnock, JVL713 and 7 others like this.
  5. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

These people see the NBA out of the lense of 2006. They will never learn if they haven't already.

6. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Look at the poll numbers. You are talking with the vocal minority.

DonKnock, Tfor3, H-Town Melo and 2 others like this.
  7. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

I know and unfortunately negativity is much louder than positivity and I let that blind me. I apologize.

8. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Easy to get swept up in if that's all you see. No worries.

H-Town Melo likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

LMAO Good Luck with that Atlanta.

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

[​IMG]

MONON likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Friday 5:45 then?

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's not gonna be official til next week huh?

15. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Oh.My.God

16. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Yup, he's still gotta go through Waivers even though no team has the cap space to absorb his deal.

17. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Tuesday 5:45

Os Trigonum likes this.
  18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You can't look at players in a vacuum.

Pretty much EVERYBODY would have had a similar thing to say last year about Melo vs. Andre Roberson. Sure, Roberson is a [much] better defender than Ariza at this point, but even with Ariza's horrendous shooting in the playoffs, he's still a better scorer than Roberson was/is.

But ultimately we know that Roberson is probably the better player to have on a team when it comes to winning basketball, and OKC was happy to recognize that "mistake" and pursue addition by subtraction wrt Melo.

In actuality, Melo was horrible in the playoffs.

The question are/will be can he mentally FINALLY adjust his role, and can that improve his game along with hopefully a better system than whatever the Donovan/Westbrook combo were running offensively.

And even with that, and even with potentially [much] better offense, you still have to look at both sides of the ball. Any lineup with Harden and Melo out there together, without CP3, Tucker and Capela around them, will be horrendous defensively. So is Melo coming off the bench? Does that mean he's getting PT with Eric Gordon, Gerald Green, Ryan Anderson and whomever is playing backup center. How the f is that lineup going to defend?

I mean MDA is really going out on a limb here. Already DID NOT get along with Melo. Already kind of struggles with deep rotations... especially as it relates to the playoffs. He's going to have to REALLY figure this thing out and how he'll be able to maximize skill-sets.

And of course, as much as anything, CP3's health will rule all (well Harden's health, but knock on wood, he's always available come playoff time). Not that any signing would change that fact though, since the Rockets have no cap room.

YOLO likes this.
  19. MeloMan15

MeloMan15 Member

20. bratna8

bratna8 Member

[​IMG]

DonKnock likes this.