1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starbucks closing stores after 2 black men arrested

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Invisible Fan, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And that's just your assumption. You are assuming bias, which shows your bias.

Back on topic though, the fact that there are some people who got away with breaking the rules doesn't make it okay for anyone to break the rules. Situations like this are much easier to defend when there's an actual innocent party being wronged. The guys were breaking the rules, they got caught doing so and they refused to leave when the manager told them to, that makes what they were doing trespassing. They were then told to leave by police and they refused. This whole ordeal is 100% their fault and they absolutely deserved to be arrested.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Meh I think that is true sometimes but not so sure that is the case here. Starbucks got out in front of it and is getting an insane amount of free advertising out of this.

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

i'm assuming bias exists so i'm biased. lol good one farva.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that's how that works. You are making assumptions about someone you don't know based on nothing but stereotypes.....I mean what would you call that?

Even then, it doesn't really matter, you aren't arguing that the 2 guys didn't get what they deserved, you are just trying to say that them getting what they deserved was racist....which is stupid.

5. xcrunner51

About as stupid as arguing racism as an implicit bias does not exist...

6. Nook

Nook Member

Maybe. I have never heard of anyone I know being asked to leave and I have never personally seen it happen but I don’t troll Starbucks so maybe. If someone isn’t causing problems and isn’t homeless, I don’t know why it would be worth going through the effort to make someone leave.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bro

Among regular people, any of the chains is fine to drink every day.

Just because something is expensive doesn't make it better.

I would never pay that much for coffee no matter how much money I had.

A 100 dollar bottle of Scotch is nice

I still choose Crown Royal

Next I'll say among normal people it's the most respected. It's just a cup of Joe. I doubt anyone in this thread but you spends that on coffee

100 dollar bottles of Scotch aren't meant to be consumed daily

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well first of all, I'm not arguing that it doesn't exist, I'm just suggesting that there's no evidence that it was a factor in this incident. You on the other hand are assuming then when black people are caught breaking the rules it has to be racism, which is really dumb.

Do yourself a favor and stick to what is actually being said.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would bet you'd have only a few situations where people were not customers who were just hanging out and of those you'd have a ridiculously small number who wouldn't just leave when told to go, and out of those assholes left, maybe one or two who would be such assholes that they'd make cops arrest them.

This kind of policy is pretty common in highly populated areas and there's rarely any problems with it.

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Bro with all due respect you don't know what the hell you're talking about when it comes to coffee. I do coffee for a living and you don't have to spend anywhere close to $100 to get excellent coffee. Just step out of McDonald's and go to one of the many craft coffee shops available in Houston and spend $4 for a drink and it'll blow the most respected coffee - McDonald's out of the water.

11. xcrunner51

Lol you're assuming I'm assuming xyz; no where did i say that particular phrase you just attributed to me. Stick to whats being said.

From what I understand, there was an internal control to the scenario: another person who was there who hadn't paid who wasn't asked to leave.

My contention is that the implicit bias of who gets to stay is wrong, but I don't particularly care that its racism. It could be sexism, sexuality bias, etc... i'd probably still think its wrong.

I think having a conversation to find out if it was a case of implicit bias should be step #1, but i don't see how it hurts starbucks to have that conversation. It's their time and money.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You implied that the Starbucks manager 9 out of 10 times would go to the black guys and ask them to leave instead of the random white woman and suggested that there was implicit bias on the manager's part.

Suggesting that someone who wasn't caught breaking the rules means that the manager was merely targeting those who got caught is not a very good argument.

I think step #1 is having a talk about how assholes who break the rules and refuse to leave once caught are not victims.....even if they are black....or brown.....or female......or gay......or trans. Literally the only reason this is a story is because the 2 guys were black, so knuckle draggers assume racism is a factor.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Bobby wins again

BruceAndre, Nook and Harrisment like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Make an intelligent argument against what I'm saying if you want it to go differently.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Ok I will try some one day. You just didn't have to be a snob about it

Secondly the coffee you named didn't seem to come to four bucks a cup seeing the beans are so much more expensive

Thanks for the recommendation in all seriousness

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I wasn't trying to be a snob at all. People can drink Starbucks and McDonalds all day long for all I care. Some will definitely gravitate towards the chains even after having some good craft coffee. I was just trying to point out that none of the chains are using respectable coffee. The darker the roast the shittier the bean had to have been.

pgabriel likes this.
  17. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

You stated earlier that the white lady that had been seated there longer had not been noticed by management. I could believe that to be true since it may have appeared that she "belongs" there but do you know this to be a fact that she was not noticed. Your argument seems to be tied to that being a fact.

18. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Yes I have.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, or....she didn't draw attention to herself by asking to use the restroom without purchasing anything. But sure, always assume racism first before any other possibility.

20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I remember back in the day if you were in my club and you didn’t tip or drink then I would throw your ass out. I didn’t care if you were black brown white or green. I miss those days.

macho GRANDE likes this.