1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nero, Apr 12, 2019.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This! These are exactly my feelings, thanks for confirming episode 3 (I thought that was the better of the 1-3).

Kruze10 likes this.
  2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I guess I should count myself lucky that I can enjoy movies even if there are plot holes, non compelling characters, and not perfectly developed characters.

cwebbster, Deuce and Xerobull like this.
  3. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Yeah, I saw that movie a few times in the theater. It was good, the ending was complete despair, sadness, with some glimmer of hope (wink, wink). Good lightsaber battle too. I didn't care for the scenes after Anakin's transformation to Vader though, when he asks about Padme, it was weird.

CCity Zero likes this.
  4. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Good for you.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

The killing Snoke so easily was a buzzkill. Let’s see how the bring back palpatine.

My guess is Kylo becomes the good guy... since he’s a skywalker

6. larsv8

I thought it would be interesting if Rey was a Palpatine, with the family roles swapped in terms of Dark / Light side, with the underlying idea that the force does nothing but balance itself, and uses the vessels of those with the right genetics, as the tool to do so. So as the dark rises in Snoke / Kylo, and the light fades with Luke cutting himself off from the force, the force looks for a vessel to bring balance and finds a palpatine descendant who has the right genetic makeup.

The balance concept is a constant theme in all the movies.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They've kind of dismissed all of the spiritual, universal themes of the Force though haven't they? I mean Luke basically threw all the books in the trash and said they were BS.

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  8. larsv8

Well Snoke said "Darkness rises and the light to meet it"

And the prequels suggested you had to be super young to train in the force but later Rey just does a quick CPE course and wham she is a powerful jedi. So I dunno.

Vader / Emperor wipe out the light, and then Luke rises to meet them, fails, then yoda / Kenobi die, then Luke is powerful enough to kill them.

So now the light is out of balance, as Luke is supremely powerful, so Snoke rises and corrupts Ben. Luke cuts himself off from the force, so now darkness is way out of balance and all of a sudden Rey is now a force monster able to tangle with Ben who has had years of training. Then Snoke dies, and the last scene in TLJ is a kid who starts doing force stuff.

Seems like it could make sense, but who knows.

#28 larsv8, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    peleincubus likes this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oooooh, now that the trailer has been posted I see it's the latest in the current trilogy. When I read the title I assumed it was another satellite prequel franchise. So Rey is related to Luke? I'm actually enjoying the new trilogy, I just don't care about any of the secondary movies, including Rogue One.

10. Buck Turgidson

Cool, I'm in.

Yall can let the nerd-hate flow through you.

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Exactly!! That laugh I’m the background?! Maybe they will make things right and make this one to remember.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Looks great. Can’t wait. I’m a child of the 80’s and my childhood obsession was the original trilogy.

I liked TFA a lot and I think TLJ would have been much improved if you edited out Space Leah and the entire Finn arc. It certainly wasn’t terrible, just too long with a few bad spots. Just my opinion.

I will be watching opening weekend.

The rest of you can go back to letting the hate flow through your veins!

13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Cleanse thy palate with John Freakin' Wick 3.

All shall be forgiven.

arkoe likes this.
  14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Bringing back palpatine when we never learned who the hell snoke was or how'd he get to be so powerful or how'd he come out of nowhere. They never should have had this whole sith lore of one master one apprentice in the first place.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Hard to tell much from a teaser but it looked cool.

I hope they haven't leaned too heavily into the 'member berries in an attempt to Make Star Wars Great Again to appease the 40+ crowd that lost their **** over TLJ. But, doing so is probably the right thing to do, dollar-wise.

Either way, I look forward to it.

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

Agreed. I’ve found the new movies enjoyable.

BigM likes this.
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Perfect. I still enjoy them. But they could be so much better.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

They had their moments. But Rouge One was simply bettta

19. droxford

droxford Member

I'm hoping the next movie has more of Rose. She's the best character in all of Star Wars. She had such an influencial role in TLJ and I really liked the tangent where they freed the poor racing animals. I'm glad they included that in the movie instead of showing Rei develop as a Jedi.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Kylo can't be made into the good guy - dude put a light saber through Han's chest - **** that guy.