1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Star Trek: Picard] Patrick Stewart/Jean-Luc Picard back in a new Star Trek series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

ST: D has become much much worse. DS9 came out when the best trek series was still on the air, so really you cannot compare.

DS9 made the Federation darker, but this seems to make it the complete opposite. This isn;t making choices for survival against the dominion, its just being assholes.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You are in the minority about Discovery. When they added Pike and the Enterprise, people opinions changed.

Deep Space 9 was better than the Next Generation. The storytelling was better. It made Star Trek more realistic.

The reason First Contact was the best Star Trek movie was because it was grittier, more morally ambitious.

The TNG was "sanitized" for most of its run (Best of Both Worlds, excluded). It actually changed after DS9 started and the Cardassians started to play more of a part in the TNG.

#82 Mr.Scarface, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  3. Bandwagoner

The audience rotten tomatoes score dropped from 51% for season 1 to 36 for season 2. I don't know what you are basing this on. If people liked fan service 1701 digital model that's great. The quality of the show still dropped.

You are fully allowed to have an opinion that DS9 was better than TNG. Using it as a model that Trek fans always dislike new shows is still faulty. Even allowing for the first two season were thought of as weak ( I like them) the show came out at a time television was changing. Dramas needed long story arcs.

First Contact as the best Star Trek movie? Just agree to disagree. All of the NextGen movies are crap compared to all but ST:V The Final Frontier (IMO)

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You do know trolls ruin Rotten Tomatoes scores? LOL . You actually use audience scores to judge quality? Many of those reviewers dont like a woman, a black, woman, is the main character. Nor do they like it heavily driven by women and that there are gay characters. It is the same white male privilege that has attacked other sci-fi/superheroes genre for diversity. Go read a trek message board/reddit or blog sites that review the show.

5. Bandwagoner

Where were these racist trolls in season 1? Did they only show up in season 2? I am not basing my opinion of the show on rotten tomatoes or justifying it. I am countering your posit that people started negative and became positive.
    So, where are you getting that people like the second season better?

Nook likes this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um, they were there. Season 2 was much better......

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-season-2-better-why/

https://www.wired.com/2019/06/geeks-guide-star-trek-discovery-season-2/

https://treknews.net/2019/05/02/star-trek-discovery-season-2-review/

#86 Mr.Scarface, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

who looks at audience scores for rotten tomatoes?

RudyTBag likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Picard looks frail, going to worry about Stewart's health.

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

He looks great for a 79 year old. He is moving fine.

daywalker02 likes this.
  10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Funny you point this out. I had the exact impression - in fact, I could have sworn I saw him trembling during closeups. But he is 79 so this is to be expected.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I thought the 2nd season was well done. In particular, I enjoyed how they linked Discovery to the Enterprise using Pike and Spock. That closing scene with Spock on the bridge of the Enterprise was greatness. They were able to link to the original pilot for Star Trek which I don't believe many people have seen. There were actually two pilots produced for the original Star Trek. The original pilot was shot in black and white and starrred Jeffrey Hunter as Christopher Pike. It had a very alien somewhat devish looking Spock as well as a female commander "Number One" played by Majel Barrett. However, NBC's brass were uncomfortable with a show depicting a woman in a command position (i.e.non feminine - it was the sixty's after all) and they were afraid that people in the Bible Belt would be turned off by Spock's somewhat demonic appearance. So NBC ordered a 2nd pilot which became the 1st televised Star Trek episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before" which starred Shatner & Nimoy along with Doohan as Scotty. Sally Kellerman and Gary Lockwood were guest stars. The original pilot was then redone as a colorized two part episode known as The Menagerie where the final fate for Pike is revealed. This is where the last ST Discovery episode linked back to Pike, Spock and the events that happened on Talos IV. The creativity of the folks behind Discovery is top notch as not only are they able to connect to the events of the original series but they have also forged a new direction for the Star Trek universe.

Surfguy likes this.
  12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/watchmen/s01/#

Review bombing, as it is called. That is what these asshats did to Watchmen (HBO Series). There are groups of people....Almost all of them white males, who can't handle someone creatively making any changes to their precious entertainment belief system.

However, if you go to fan boards or reddit subreddits, You can see the true fans of whatever give their opinions. Hardcore Watchmen fans LOVED the HBO series. They understood what was done and appreciated the creativity.

HBO would love to have another season of Watchmen because the ratings increase every episode and it became a Social Media darling. Although, right now it is a No......I think Lindelof will eventually come up with something (Money talks, right?).

The point being......Rotten Tomatoes has become useless for audience reaction.

rhino17 likes this.
  13. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Discovery sucked. Has nothing to do with a black female protagonist or gay characters.

ryan_98 likes this.
  14. Bandwagoner

ie they ran out of steam and pulled from nostalgia to somehow connect their current show to the name they are riding the wave of.

If you like the show I am really happy for you. I also like Star trek and wish instead of nostalgia laced action series it was a further into the future

Critic reviews for both seasons are the same according to metacritic. ie no improvement. I think you need to show a little more than "fans" like the second season more than positive articles. You constantly attack peoples race and sex when bring up their views of the show. I'm sorry to tell you most star trek fans fit that demographic. Your use of DS9 puzzles me because the better analogy would have been fan reaction to TNG and how it eventually stopped be a shitshow like it was the first season.

I don't want to think of the Federation and the future of humanity as being jerks who deny the Romulans help to evacuate and find peace. There are already sci fi worlds dealing with corrupt governments. Star trek was different and more hopeful. IMO

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Unlike Star Wars, it doesn’t seem like the Trek films built any reliable spin off characters or storylines that would peak interest. Little spok or little Kirk may have some interest, but they need to start some serous character development for the general public to become intrigued.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Science Fiction is a reflection of the times. In the 1950s & 60s "The Blob" and "Invasion of the Body Snatcher" were all about the fear of the encroachment of Communist ideologies.

I get what you are saying, but in the era of Jerk Politician(s) you get a show about the Jerk Federation and not helping foreigners. I'm sure if they could figure out a way to create Space Brexit and build a space wall on the border of the Romulan Empire, that's what you'd see.

Happier times will bring you more hopeful Science Fiction. The optimism of "the end of history" left the building a long time ago.

#97 Ottomaton, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  18. Bandwagoner

during the original run of Star trek which shows a hopeful future (IMO):

my lai massacre
    MLK assasinated
    tet offensive
    rfk assasinated
    DNC riots
    12th street riots
    Apollo 1 disaster (series ended before Apollo 11)
    10 million people voted for a pro segregationist for president

It went the direction it is going because patrick stewart requested it.

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have you listened to Patrick Stewart talk about why he requested it? Brexit and Trump.

TNG was much more utopian than original Trek. But now that I think about it, there were several dark episodes involving Federation officers of both original series and TNG. Original Star Trek had much more faith in the highest levels of government, but again, current events. Richard Nixon killed unassailable faith in leadership in this country.

#99 Ottomaton, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  20. Bandwagoner

and Brent Spiner co-wrote Nemesis which is one of the worst ST movies ever. These actors put their own agenda (Data having emotions so he can show his ACTING) over the vision of Star Trek. Because they generally don't give a crap about star trek