1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Star Trek : Discovery] : New Star Trek series coming from CBS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Nov 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I thought 3-5 were the best: the introduction of the Jem Hadar, assassination attempt against Gowron, and the changing of alliances, all took place during those seasons.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Would think that for Star Trek to succeed on a mass scale they need to first develop a standout video game. Do that, and then think they could build another core audience of children who will follow. Make cool toys. While I think the content is generally adult and intelligence themed it has the power to cater to kids too, as well as bored college students with nothing better to watch after midnight, but they need to get them to watch first.

They could go the premium content route, focusing on adults, but think they would be better suited doing that where they can get a built in audience, like at HBO, and get financial support. I don''t think they can pull it off at CBS as nobody cares about CBS anymore. And I don't think they have enough well known characters they can route origin stories from, whereas Star Wars has a lot more of that available to them.

4. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Agree. Those seasons had some of the best one-shot episodes in the series, though the later-season multi-episode story arcs were very cool in a different way.

Re-watching DS9 now for the umpteenth time. Season 1 definitely meh, and season 2 isn't much better. Probably won't start really binging it until a few episodes into season 3, which is what always seems to happen. Season 3 may even be my favorite, much as I may like DS9's much more nuanced take on Worf.

5. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

I am watching DS9 for the first time (I mean I watched it a little bit when it was on UPN or whatever but not religiously). I am currently in the middle of season five. I agree with all the comments about S1/S2 being meh. Once SIsko shaves the head it gets way better. Looking forward to seeing the full on Dominion War.

Question. I have seen TNG twice and currently crushing DS9.
    I have "watched" (see above description of watching ds9 back in the day) Voyager and OG Star Trek. Have seen none of Enterprise.
    Which series should I watch next?

Sucks about the CBS show getting delayed or whatever. I wouldn't subscribe to their app anyways but all ways down for more trek.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Voyager is good. Don't waste your time on Enterprise. It's far and away the worst of the bunch and never should have been made.

7. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

I like that the new show is an anthology. I hate that the first season takes place 10 years before TOS. To me it sounds like Enterprise all over again. I know the movies are really successful but there's too much dwelling in the past.

They should make a show that takes place way in the future - like 100 years after TNG. That would be really interesting. I'd pay to watch that.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The last 2 seasons of Enterprise had better stories but I still didnt watch many.

Id watch TNNG

I think they just need to write better sci-fi stories. I'm not a Dr. Who fan but it has a pretty deep cult following because the stories are interesting.

There isn't that many sci-fi shows in prime time. With a nice budget, no one really cares where the Enterprise goes as long as new ideas come out and some of todays issues are addressed without being too preachy.

It won't do well in the box office, but for a TV series, people don't need gimmicks as long as the writing is solid.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I noticed they are premiering the show on TV (CBS) this Sunday in a one hour episode. I'm not sure if there is a 2nd part to the pilot they will air on the network. They are trying to hook you and get you on the pay streaming service to watch more. In that regard, it better be good because it wouldn't be a good look if the pilot sucked. But, I'm confused on the pricing for this show. How much do you end up paying to watch the entire season? My current limited understanding (which I read somewhere but can't be sure how they are releasing this show on streaming) is the season will be released in two parts....one part in the Fall and one part in 2018. So, in theory, couldn't you just binge watch part one for one month paying $5.99 and then turn the service off? Then, do the same thing when part two is released in 2018? The other possible scenario is they release an episode at-a-time on a staggered timeline to keep you paying the monthly fee while they drag it out. This makes more sense to me financially but would also piss a lot of people off imo and turn them off. At this time, I haven't found anything definitive that explains the exact release schedule and total pricing that will be paid to watch a season. Does anyone know anything further on that?

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

if it's better than gamr of thrones, people might pay. but it won't be.

11. Surfguy

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

People do that with every streaming service, so idk why this would be any different.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's pathetic they have to resort to this flawed model, but the bean counters at CBS know trekkies will pay good money for it.

Too bad there aren't as many as there were 20 years ago...

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I have serious doubts one new show will cause masses of people to sign up for CBS' streaming service. IMO, it's more likely to merely stunt the viewership of Discovery.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  15. Le$$

Le$$ Member

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not releasing them at once.
    A paid tier with commercials.
    What a rip off.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Is it flawed? Looks exactly like Hulu to me

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Check this out: http://www.tvgrimreaper.com/2017/09/19/cbs-access-isnt-real-business-negotiating-leverage/2983/

The article opines the purpose of CBS All-Access isn't to make a profit, but to increase negotiating leverage with cable companies. It only has ~1.5 million subscribers. I seriously doubt a huge number of Trek fans will pay $6 or $10 per month just to watch one show.

If Discovery is truly excellent, I expect CBS to change direction and air the last 14 episodes on television. They won't allow a hit show to languish with a tiny online audience.

19. Surfguy

I think they are going to make deals with streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, etc. to air it next year. I think it's safe to say you can wait it out until it appears on a streaming service you subscribe to. There's always the DVDs to be released, too (hiss). It could take a bit but I think it will be released on Netflix sooner rather than later. Of course, I can't back it up and it's my opinion. I just think there are several outlets for getting this material out there and CBS would be stupid if they didn't take advantage of it. But, if you want to watch it right away, then CBS All Access will only have first run. I don't see this going on television like you said....especially for first run. Maybe down the road...?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone plan on getting the streaming service just to see this?