1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Star Trek : Discovery] : New Star Trek series coming from CBS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Nov 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

DS9 never did it for me. I'm sure there is a DS9 rejection club out there for me. Or, am I the only member? I never really had an issue with any of the other series. But, we all have our own likes/dislikes. That's not to say I've never seen a DS9 episode or liked it at all. It's just at the bottom of my list. I guess part of me prefers a spaceship because, to me, that is what ST is about...not hanging out on some space station. lol

2. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I definitely disagree, but I do understand why you might not like DS9. My dad is the same way. He prefers the exploration part of the other series.

I prefer DS9 over the rest because Sisko is much more relatable than the other Captains out there. That's just me, though.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It won't be on CBS tho. You have to pay to see it on their streaming service.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Interesting. I liked DS9 best but Sisko was the hardest thing about the show for me to digest. Took a couple of seasons.

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I don't think the new one will revolve around a spaceship either.

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

It's stupid to do it for pay on CBS access. Most people (Like me) will just download the torrents.

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Sisko could really fight as opposed to Picard, Janeway, and even Kirk who wasn't bad just not badass as Sisko. I would Say Picard is my favorite Captain overall followed by Sisko, Janeway, then Kirk.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I liked the bald captains the best.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Excited but nervous, I know they are going to mess this up. I already don't like the idea of it being like AHS and it being a different story every season. Best part of Star Trek was getting to know the crew deeper and deeper every season and watching them go and come back or die off or whatever.

I guess I can only be pleasantly surprised with this one.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

The fact that they are doing it this way shows the lack of self confidence and leadership in their writing. They probably have several stories and an't decide which one to choose. One good thing about it is that we may get several spinoffs if each crew can generate a good story and fan following fans will keep pestering them until their favorite season has it's own show.

11. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

This. Only CBS could make a show allegedly about super-intelligent people (Scorpion) so incredibly dumb you literally have to avoid watching it so that you don't lose brain cells.

Worst TV network by far. If it's on CBS you know it WILL suck.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I actually thought it was pretty good. I liked the take and the change in the way the characters were not so diplomatic and politically correct all the time. I understood that reasoning in TNG since it was supposed to be a more evolved time in human culture.

I completely agree with you about the early episodes of TNG. They were not particularly great. Apparently there was a lot of conflict between Roddenberry and the Studio on the direction of the series and they brought in Maurice Hurley as the lead script writer. His previous hit series had been Miami Vice. The show was mostly a fail during his time on the set but he is responsible for one major plot line that turned out great, the Borge. He left the show after the 2nd season and that is when it took off IMO.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Desilu (owned by Lucile Ball and Desi Arnez) actually owned the rights to produce Star Trek and entered into an agreement to air the series on NBC. Once NBC cancelled the series after 3 seasons, that was basically the end of their association with Star Trek.

Paramount purchased Desilu in the late 60s and have never given up the production rights to the Star Trek franchise.

When TNG came out in the 80s, there was not a lot of networks wanting a new Star Trek series at the time or only wanted a something like a miniseries. As a result Paramount released Star Trek in syndication to independent stations instead of under the control of any one network.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I liked DS9 because they went a little deeper into the utopia idea and explored its darker sides.

Some fans hated the darker themes and longer arcs, but it was something different in between TNG and Voyager.

15. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

the first few seasons of DS9 were a bore. The 2nd half of its run was much better and actually became really interesting. The War with the dominion gave the series a much-needed boost.

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I love DS9 but those first few seasons were kind of meh, it did establish a lot of the characters but the plot lines weren't that interesting. Once the Dominion and Founders showed up it really picked up.

Ron Moore was the sole reason I gave the rebooted Battlestar a shot....

17. PeppermintCandy

The xindi arc that made up season 3 was really hard to watch when it aired because I felt like it was trying too hard to be a commentary on 9-11. Watching that season now, it still feels hokey, but drained of the embarrassingly trite social message, it's entertaining in its own way. And I always thought the last season of the series did a good job, though they did have to condense a lot of Trek lore to make it all fit.

IMO DS9 also began with a misguided attempt to be socially relevant with the Bejor occupation story angle. Once they made that into the subplot rather than the main storyline, the series began to fare better.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm completely baffled by the approach with a pay-for-it app.
    Not necessarily just this show, just the idea of that for any show by CBS.

The absolute only way that makes any sense to me is if they are going to deliver 100% premium content. That's how it works for Netflix, HBO and the like.

Ain't nobody paying for ok, or even above average stuff.

I can already watch really really really good content "for free" on AMC.

Maybe this show will be that good.. but it's hard to imagine that to be so...

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Star Trek:Discovery

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bqm9HSYbf0o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member