1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Star Trek : Discovery] : New Star Trek series coming from CBS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Nov 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

without question season 1 is the worst of the seasons.... which does make it hard to tell people “watch this show, it’s amazing!”

but even season one is just fundamentally better than something like Star Trek Discovery... which is nice fluff sci-fi but that’s about it.

DFWRocket likes this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . .people seem to think that GRAY
    will somehow be able to be seen by everyone next season
    That will be some Wack isht to me. . . .
    His and Adira's characters are just "A cute couple"
    and seem very Wesley Crusher
    if he becomes a physical being again. . . .maybe too much

Rocket River

3. TimDuncanDonaut

Discovery writers is kind of breaking Trek's own rules with Trills and confusing. A symbiote moving on from hosts to host. Is Adira the host+symbiote? Isn't Gray just a very temporary host. A husk that died, but now isn't.

My Cynical take is that the writers made Gray kind of a selfish ghost. He technically died but don't want to move on. Seems like they may make him walk around and interact with other people with holodeck based technology.

#243 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Rocket River likes this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, they stretchin the "I'm not crazy, it's real real" fantasy a bit too far.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I want to check out The Expanse, but I swear it's going to end up being something like Firefly to me : nice, but over-hyped and with a cult following. But I'll give it a shot. I once tried watching it but fell asleep during the first episode. Not because it was bad, but well, I was sleepy. I don't even remember any of it other than it seemed dark and dirty. lol.

6. Invisible Fan

I seriously recommend watching the first season in the background.

World building is a huge investment and I remember the writing, budget, and actors were too clunky, low quality and unlikable, even for Sci-fi channel standards. A couple of eps in that season were devoted into vignettes over how dark and depressing Belter life was, and the protagonists were just everyday people living in that shitty death spiral. Not that aspirational compared to Trek or SW...

It was one of the few shows w/ 4k on Amazon at the time, so I passively watched to get my scifi geek of. Took mid second season before I started paying attention to what they were talking about.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I swear this is true of most sci-fi series : "The first season sucks... it doesn't take off until the 2nd season!"

8. Invisible Fan

I guess it's learned behavior for starved scifi geeks. B5 and even DS9 paid off despite terrible initial seasons.

There are more stinkers series than gems though.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, thanks to a 50% off coupon, I decided to finally pay for Paramount+ and watch Discovery. I binge-watched it for a week (hell, I could've just watched it for the free during my introductory week but decided to pay for a year).

It's already one of my 2 favorite ST's. I think it may be ahead of TNG now. I love the fact that the story initially revolved around no certain captain. I also love the fact they aren't goody-goody about everything and have to make some evil decisions here and there. And, it seems like ever other episode has a "whoa..." moment in terms of Star Trek lore, plot twists, or just the action-filled storyline. It's like there aren't many dead moments like on TNG, for example. I also love the nods to older Star Treks dropped throughout the first 3 seasons. It's also not your father's Star Trek with women running the show, cursing here and there, and every minority on the planet brought to the forefront whether they be gay, female, androgynous, black, etc. Kind of like "we need to drag this into modern times".

All-in-all I love this stuff. I may check out PIcard next.

Some possible spoiler stuff :

Not a big fan of how they keep changing Klingons every series, but they always come up with "explanations" in every series as to why they keep looking different. lol. I didn't like the Klingons in Discovery as much because they all talk like they're chewing with their mouths full and their makeup makes the mouth movement less-than-realistic.
    I wanted to hate Tilly because they tried to make her the Wesley Crusher of this episode, but I can't really even hate on her.
    They took one of my favorite creatures (tardigrades) and did that with it? Sad. Quite possibly the corniest thing. :D
    I love Michelle Yeoh's Philippa Georgiou character was one of my favorites in the first 3 seasons. Here mannerisms and off-the-cuff lines can be hilarious.
    I loved Captain Pike getting a big role in this. I'm sure he'll be great in the spin-off.
    The Spock character was pretty good. He'll do well in the spin-off, too.
    I'm glad they threw them into the future. The final episode makes me wonder what the "good doctor" is going to end up being, though.

Ottomaton likes this.
  10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Picard was a bit of a disappointment. There were a few "fangirl" moments, which I won't spoil, but the overall storyline was kind of disappointing. 7 of 9 and Space Legolas were the only characters I cared about.

They are apparently still working on a Michelle Yeoh spin off series. They're planning to spam Paramount Plus with Star Trek shows like Marvel shows on Disney Plus.