1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurs' new logo

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BubbaMac, Jun 17, 2002.

Tags:
  1. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/spurs/

I can't tell the difference but I never did really pay attention. Can't wait to see the Rockets change from their clown suits.

2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

wrong forum
    please direct all NBA related topics here.

Oh, btw... the spers suck!

[​IMG]

3. deepellumrocket

Look at the pic on the masthead on that site. Doesn't it look like Duncan is grabbing Robinson's butt?

4. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

Is the "redesign" the fact that there's no pastel in that thing?

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The website is still using teal.

No more Taco Cabana court :(

6. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

"The changes come after nearly two years of planning."

It took 2 freaking years of planning to drop the Taco Cabana paint splash?!?!?!?

Man talk about moving slow!

Spurs uniforms will also receive a slight modification, with the Spurs lettering on the front of the jerseys returning to a block format as opposed to the current 3-D look.

Wow!! That is a HUGE change!! Why the hell would they want to change from the 3-D lettering look to block format?? Lame.

From spurs.com:

The San Antonio Spurs on Monday unveiled their new logo. The changes come after nearly two years of planning.

“With our upcoming move to the SBC Center we thought it was the perfect time to return to our traditional primary colors,” said Spurs Executive Vice President Russ Bookbinder. “We wanted to modernize the logo and jerseys while keeping intact the history of the Spurs mark.”

The primary change in the Spurs logo will be the return to their original black, white and silver colors. The teal, orange and fuchsia color scheme had been employed in the logo backdrop since 1988-89 season. Spurs uniforms will also receive a slight modification, with the Spurs lettering on the front of the jerseys returning to a block format as opposed to the current 3-D look.

The new logo was designed by the Spurs Marketing Department in conjunction with the National Basketball Association’s Creative Services Department.

#6 Drewdog, Jun 17, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2002
  7. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I assume they were moving slow to coincide with the opening of the new arena.

We know the Rockets are working now on their new look even though it won't debut until 2004.

8. moomoo

moomoo Member

I can't tell the freakin difference. Two years of planning for no change at all? Sounds like a gub'ment job to me...

9. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

did you hear about the minor league hockey team that the Spurs are going to own having to change its name already? Apparently some minor pro football team IN SAN ANTONIO already was using the name they picked....

10. mrpaige

New Logo:
    [​IMG]

Old Logo:
    [​IMG]

You can't tell the difference?

11. x34

x34 Member

Sometimes the best changes are the most subtle...I'll take refinement over complete redesign. In hindsight, I think many of us would have preferred it if the Rocks did the same thing a few years back...

The pastels had to go...I like it.

12. mrpaige

You know, I looked up the teams in that League, and even though they have THREE teams in my area, I've never heard of a single one of them.

But I'm sure the rest of you go see the Texas Roughriders, Houston Wolverines and Houston Gunslingers (btw, the first line on the Gunslingers website is "Houston Gunslingers really do exist and have for the past 3 years.") all the time.

The irony is that this semi-pro team is engaged in trademark violations as they aren't the ones who own the trademark for the San Antonio Stampede football team (Guess who does. I suspect we may well be seeing an Arena Football team in San Antonio called the Stampede in a few years).

Surely that was a bigger player in the decision to go with "san Antonio Rampage over San Antonio Stampede than this semi-pro football team that no one has ever heard of.

13. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

both of the names suck. Long live the Iggies.

14. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I hate the spurs.

15. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

The new logo is more "Spurish"...:)

16. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Amen. no matter what they do, they still suck.

17. dirtyfithynasty

Come on Astro, you know you like Tony Parker a little bit. It is alright to admit it.

18. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Well I've been looking for a way to ease into posting after about 3 years of lurking on the sidelines and I'm glad I found a thread I can post on with some knowledge. No offense Mrpaige, but actually I've heard of the San Antonio Stampede. I play for the Houston Gunslingers (the same one whose web page you mention) and we play them twice a year. Coach put in that line you quoted because, indeed, very few people in town know about us since we get no media exposure (you'd think numerous years without the Oilers would make the Chronicle happy to cover ANY football ;) ).
    I'm sure you didn't mean any offense with the whole "team no one's heard of", but I just wanted to say that some people DO know and participate in the teams. I hope you (and everyone else who happens to read this) check us out. We're 13-0-1 and ranked 3rd in the nation going into the playoffs. Sorry of this sounds like an advertisement, but I'm tired of getting weird looks from people when I say I play semipro ball. They seem to think I'm leaking IQ points out of my ears :D .

rocks_fan
    AKA "Mobe" in chat

19. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Spers suck, have always sucked and will continue to suck from now until the end of time.

This is about enough spers dribble for the hangout...

admin, please move this thread or shut it down....

oh... btw, spers suck!

20. UNMKT4

UNMKT4 Member

It's Spurs not spers.

Give me 5 reasons why they suck.

They sure as hell beat out the Rockets

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

That's right.

<i><B>"I'm a
    Cool Dude
    from across the north
    to the east