1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sporting News: Astros shopping Wade Miller?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by countingcrow, Dec 15, 2003.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

No-mah is 'Free' after this 15 mil season, and wants to negotiate a big, long term deal -- from Drayton? Miller will be putting up big W totals for the next decade+.

Sure WM was down this year, but he was hurt. Pitchers and hurt are a bad mix, but I believe the guy is Schill II. He just reminds me of Schilling, except Wade is (still) a 'stro.

2. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I love Wade Mller. But if i were going to trade him it would be near the trading deadline. At the trading deadline, the team trading the pitcher can absolutly rape the team needing a pitcher to get into the playoffs. Providing Miller has a good season, the Astros could get alot of talent and superb prospects in return, especially because of Wade's low salary and high potential.

Providing Clemens signs, we would already have a rotation to get us through the playoffs. It seems like it's now or never if Clemens joins.

Then again, if the Astros are actually considering trading him now, then they know something we don't. Maybe Miller pitched so bas last year due to an injury. Maybe the Astros are looking at his MRI's and are predicting he could break down at anytime. Maybe Miller is going to want a 10 million per year contract. IMO he is worth 6 million per year, but there are teams like Texas that would gladly pay him.

Any thoughts/opinions?

3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

In years past I would have jumped on a Miller for Nomar trade, but I like where this team is going and I'm not a Nomar fan like I used to be. Plus I'd rather have great pitching and less hitting than more hitting and less pitching. In fact I'd like to see them get another sub 4.0 starting pitcher (and I hope the Cubs don't add Maddux who still has some gas left in his tank).

Now if we could only sign Vlad we'd be set to rule the NL.

4. redgoose

If i remember correctly Nomar batted like an Astro in the playoffs.

But it would be ridiculous to trad a good pitcher that basically plays for free for someone that wants 15 million dollars every year.:rolleyes:

Good hitter are a dime a dozen these days. But finding a quality pitcher is like finding a needle in a hay stack.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yes...Yes you are. I have seen him pitch and it ain't pretty.

If signing Clemens to a one year deal means trading Wade Miller away, I think that it should not happen. Why trade away one ofthe best young arms in baseball for a one year wonder. They should only bring Clemens in if they can add him without subtraction.

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

All this over a throwaway line that hems and haws and that barely touches the crux of the story? I saw Bah.

7. redgoose

That's not what this is about. Signing Clemens for however much money he makes effects Miller in no way. Miller practically plays for free. But if Tim Redding and Carlos Hernandez are throwing lights out this year(by some miracle) then we can trade Miller for a whole lot of top grade prospects. And by top grade prospects, i mean studs that could be on the team in 2006. This way we don't have to resign Miller for Millions of dollars.

8. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

YOU DO NOT TRADE A YOUNG PITCHING STUD LIKE MILLER. EOM!!!!

9. redgoose

Only if your team has bad economics. Then you trade a good pitcher who is up for salary arbitration or contract renewel. Then you get at least 2 guaraneteed stud prospects in return.

ie:Clement and Alfonsaco for Dontrell Willis

But i do agree with you that at this point we don't need to trade Miller. As Soon as Doggie's and Bagwell's contracts come off the books we should be able to hold onto Oswalt and Miller. I'm not exactly sure when Oswalt and Miller are free agents, but it should be around the same time Bagwell retires.