1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sporting News: Astros shopping Wade Miller?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by countingcrow, Dec 15, 2003.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=rocketsettorelaunchin&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Rocket set to relaunch in 10, 9, 8, 7 ...

By Ken Rosenthal - SportingNews.com

Astros owner Drayton McLane shouldn't stop with Andy Pettitte. He shouldn't stop with Roger Clemens. The day Clemens signs with the Astros -- and yes, I'm betting on Rocket Redux -- McLane should introduce another hometown hero as his new special assistant. Welcome back, Nolan Ryan

Heck, why even stop there? Kerry Wood, another Texan, is a free agent after next season. Like Pettitte and Clemens, the Cubs righthander is represented by Houston-based agents Alan and Randy Hendricks. The Hendricks brothers and Astros general manager Gerry Hunsicker generally are as friendly as Don Zimmer and George Steinbrenner. But in this new era of good feeling, maybe they'll join forces to resurrect Enron.

McLane loves this stuff, loves making a splash, loves basking in Houston's adoration. Signing Pettitte electrified the city. Signing Clemens would send it into delirium. And if the Astros ever won the World Series -- in 42 years, they've never won a postseason series -- baseball actually might start to matter deep in the heart of Texas.

For his part, Clemens is acting like a hot politician contemplating a run for higher office, hemming and hawing, allowing momentum to build. All he has to do is say, "I'm staying retired." There's a better chance of his saying, "I forgive Dan Duquette." Any moment now, he'll be sailing a fastball under Sammy Sosa's chin.

I guess a callous sort could be cynical about all this, particularly after Clemens milked everyone's emotions last season, most notably with his farewell curtain call during the World Series. But except for Steinbrenner -- who is busy trying to exhume Ty Cobb to join the other misanthropes in his clubhouse -- would anyone really be upset?

Clemens' return would be great for baseball. And not even Steinbrenner can say a word, because he initiated the whole thing. He made Pettitte's decision easy, all but ignoring him while courting Gary Sheffield and the like. Clemens might never have considered the Astros if Pettitte had stayed with the Yankees. But the two friends worked out together at 8 a.m. the day the Astros introduced Pettitte. The lefthander donned Clemens' No. 21, and Hunsicker joked about Clemens' becoming "No. 21A."

Pettitte, 31, could use the help, in part because he is not certain to duplicate his New York success in Houston. He won 21 games with a 4.02 ERA last season, benefiting from the second-best run support in the A.L. He's going from Yankee Stadium, a park suited to lefthanded pitchers, to Minute Maid Park, one that favors hitters. And without protection from Clemens or any of the other Yankees aces, he also will assume the role of No. 1 starter for the first time in his career.

The increased responsibility shouldn't bother Pettitte, who made 25 postseason starts and thrived as a Steinbrenner Yankee. He's at a point in his career at which he can mentor Roy Oswalt and Wade Miller the way Clemens mentored him. But it's revealing that Pettitte started Game 2 in nine straight Division Series. When the Yankees had a chance to set their rotation, they always had someone ahead of him.

The other issue with Pettitte is the condition of his elbow, something that didn't prevent him from pitching 2081Ú3 innings last season or stop the Yankees from reportedly offering him up to $39 million. The Astros' physical revealed nothing more than normal wear and tear, and Clemens told Sporting News Radio, "I am disappointed that some people mouthed off inside the (Yankees) organization about his elbow. To me, if they want a test or an MRI, they should have grabbed a tape of the game that he pitched in 35-degree weather. He threw 134 pitches, had 11 or 12 strikeouts. I would have written MRI on that."

An elbow is always a risk, and Pettitte's three-year, $31.5 million contract will keep the Astros in their usual financial bind. The only way the team can sign Clemens is if he pulls a Karl Malone and signs for a pittance. The Astros already have informed rival clubs that they might entertain trade offers for Miller, who is in his first season of arbitration eligibility. But the real trouble lies ahead. Pettitte will be paid $17.5 million in 2006, $7.5 million deferred. Jeff Bagwell will get $17 million that season, $10 million deferred. Richard Hidalgo, Jeff Kent and Craig Biggio will be long gone, but Miller and Oswalt will be arbitration-eligible players, poised to become free agents.

McLane has blown his budget the past two offseasons -- Kent was his big splurge a year ago -- and signing Clemens would put the franchise in a definite win-now mode. The Astros still need to bolster their middle-inning relief after trading Billy Wagner and making Octavio Dotel their closer. The team's offense, fourth in runs in the National League last season, will suffer if Hunsicker succeeds in his quest to trade Hidalgo. But let's not nitpick. With Pettitte, and maybe Clemens, McLane is on a roll.

Don't stop now, Drayton. Come to think of it, Josh Beckett is a Houston boy, too.

2. oldman

oldman Contributing Member

who would we get for him?

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

It'd be a salary dump, basically.

4. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Highly disappointing if we trade Miller. He is a great pitcher. Very young too. We need him.

5. franchise?..NOT

Millers showing signs of wear and tear. Trading him while he can still be thought of as a No.1 for some teams should bring plenty in return. Could even be the guy being mentioned in the ARod/Ramirez trade where Bosox are shopping for a pitcher to throw in w/Ramirez to Texas for ARod . Makes sense, just depends on what we get in return. Word is it would be Scott Williamson.

6. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

This seems to be a time where Wade's trade value would be somewhat low. Inconsistency and injuries have probably cut his trade value in half of what it was after the 2001 season.

7. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Am I the only one in the Ruddy Lugo fan club?

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

You're joking right? You'de willingly trade the young #2 starter for what has been a playoff contender for the past few years for an average middle reliever? If we're essentially going to dump Wade, Clemens for one year isn't worth it.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If they really do swap Wade there had 'better' be a stud or two coming back this way. This guy is Schilling, just younger. A true Schill clone.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

wade miller was very inconsistent last season but what pitcher doesn't go through that at some point. fact remains that he has a mid 90's fastball and a sweet curve. he's young and has #1 stuff. like xiki said if we trade him we better be getting something good in return.

11. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Why upset the apple cart over a nearly-finished Roger Clemens who has ignored the Houston Astros for his entire career?

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Why? - I wouldn't take Nomar for Miller. We need a strong pitching staff and Miller is a vital part of that.

13. ths balla

ths balla Member

nomar for hidalgo and a reliever

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

isnt mclane selling the team after the all star game or something?

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You really wouldn't take Garciaparra for Miller? Nomar is one of the top 10 players in the ML and plays every day. While Miller has a great W-L record, take away the Brewers and the Reds and his record is much less spectacular. For example, the last 3 seasons Miller is 45-25 (outstanding) with a 3.61 ERA. Take away the Reds and the Brewers (2 of the worst NL teams over that period) and he is 31-23.

Unless you could guarantee that Oswalt was over his groin problems, I'd trade him for a long-term signed Nomar as well.

16. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Why does every sportswriter assume Pettite is the #1 starter on this team? I think Oswalt has proven he's one of the top pitchers in the NL and easily worthy of #1 status.

17. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

I agree. Clemens would be a fantastic addition to the team, but c'mon. Moving Wade Miller to make room for a 41-year-old has-been is stupid. I know Drayton is thinking of the turnstiles, but Miller could develop into a #1-type pitcher. Aren't many of those around.

18. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

I also think Miller is a vital part of the Astros' future, but Nomah is in a class by himself. If the Astros could somehow get the Sox drunk enough to take Hidalgo's contract, too, I'd be all over this like stink on a monkey.

19. Buck Turgidson

Well, in a class with Tejada, Jeter, Renteria, and Orlando Cabrerra, miles behind ARod.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

do i need to post stats? come on...i mean i can see at least the argument for the 1st 3 but ORLANDO CABRERA??