1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spending a Week in NYC....Any Trip Advice?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by itzIce, Feb 19, 2007.

1. itzIce

itzIce Member

Hey guys, going to spend 1 March week in NYC....Any advice on the following? :

-What Broadway Show(s) should I see?

-Aside from visiting Empire State Bldg, Statue of Liberty, Ground-Zero, where else should I visit?

-Any must-eat restaturants?

And always looking for a way to save some cash...discount web-sites, money-saving tips, etc...

Thanks for the advice guys!

2. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

The only places I have found in Manhatten that are somewhat affordable are in the MSG, NYU, village areas. If you get near times square and central park get ready to dish out some jack.

Last time I was there I met up with a buddy at the Fridays accros from MSG and we got trashed there on a pretty cheap happy hour then hit up 5 or 6 bars in that area then ate over there before heading up to times square.

3. tested911

tested911 Member

Try Gray's Papaya ( Hot dog joint ) - Cheap as hell...
    Try those famous Lombardi Pizza joints too..

4. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

be sure to invest $24 in a 7day unlimited MTA card. Cab rides, even short ones add up...

5. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Yeah they sure do all I take is the subway or I walk when I am there.

6. itzIce

itzIce Member

Thanks for the advice so far! I'll be sure to hit up Gray's...

I found out that the all the popular Broadway shows are sold-out like Lion King, Wicked, Jersey Boys, etc... I hear Avenue Q is pretty good....

Have any of you watched Broadway shows within the past year?
    Which one(s) should I stay away from?

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Are you a Seinfeld fan? If so, go on the Kramer tour, great fun!

Go to little italy in the Bronx as well

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Patsy Grimaldi's for pizza in Brooklyn (right underneath the Brooklyn Bridge)
    Katz's for delicatessen (send a salami to your boy in the army)

9. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

If you want to stay in the middle of everything for a pretty good price, I recommend the Mansfield. (On 44th Street near 6th Avenue.) Call them and bargain, you should be able to get a week for under $100/night this time of year. The staff is great there as well.

10. Cesar^Geronimo

You should at least see Times Square - St. Patricks Cathedral - Central Park - Upper East Side near central park has some great old building.

For a cheap meal there is a little food court type place at the South Street seaport and you can sit out and look over the east river and see the Brooklyn Bridge.

I like people watching and allways think it's fun to just wander around the neighborhoods. It seems like most anyplace south of the 100's is pretty safe. Wandering around SoHo, The village etc... is allways interesting and if you don't really have a plan or a route mapped out it's even more fun.

I also like wandering thru Chinatown.

11. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Go to the gyro stand off of 53rd and 6th. Best stuff ever! Get the gyro over rice. He normally doesnt get there till the late afternoon, and he is always busy. I have had to wait for almost 20 min in line before at 4am

12. itzIce

itzIce Member

NYC, also known as a top fashion-store city, has an abundance of clothing stores. Aside from the Louis Vuitton's, Gucci's, and 5th Avenue, there are probably some stores that offer the same brands at half the price.

Any under-the-radar stores that come to mind? Someone mentioned Century 21's dept. store that does this kind of selling. Thanks.

13. typhoon

typhoon Member

My girlfriend and I went to NYC last month and had a great time.

Instead of the Empire State Building I would recommend the Top of the Rock. No lines or wait times, few bucks cheaper and you can take photos of the Empire State Building. All around awesome experience. Go to Yahoo travel section and read the reviews of the Empire State Building. ;)

I would also recommend:
    Time Square
    China Town
    Harlem - 125th St
    5th Ave
    The Village
    Central Park

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Lombardi's Original Pizza. Right in northern little italy(nolita) it's the first american pizzeria. opened in 1905 they still have the original brick oven to cook with. new brick oven's are now illegal, not sure why, but if you had it before a certain date you got to keep it. oh and the pizza is really good!!
    http://lombardisoriginalpizza.com/home.html

and in same area, about 2 blocks south, they close the street on weekends and have a little street festival.

15. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Oh yeah! Lombardis is good

16. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I heartily suggest a tour on the G and L Train. It's a great learning experience and will really make you appreciate the things you life that you often take for granted. The train is often populated by very friendly commuters who are more than happy to share with you the many different experiences you can enjoy in New York. All you have to do is tap them on the shoulder and they will be more than happy to start a conversation with you. You should probably bring some money along since, like all cities, some of these custom experiences can get quite expensive.

17. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

At the risk of sounding repetitive, Lombardi's is incredible.

18. itzIce

itzIce Member

Lombardi's = A sure visit!

Thanks guys for the continuous flow of advice!

19. napalm

napalm Contributing Member

I second this wholeheartedly. Also, visit some of the museums. The Met and Museum of Natural History are my favorites.

20. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

if your in and around the LES, be sure to check out the "sidewalk cafe". pretty good brunch place. Its on the corner of ave. A and east 6th