1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spam blocker help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DFW_Rockets_Fan, Aug 31, 2003.

Tags:
  1. DFW_Rockets_Fan

DFW_Rockets_Fan Contributing Member

Can anyone recommend a good spam blocker (preferably free)?

I just recently started to get some junk e-mail and did not mind too much, but now the volume is increasing and the content is getting worse.

2. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

I dunno about spam blockers, but most email servers have an exclusive setting that you can customize and what not... That's about all I can suggest.

#2 meggoleggo, Aug 31, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2003
  3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I've been dealing with this for clients recently. This is a very tough issue.

The main problem is that spam filters are still not sophisticated enough to prevent legit emails from being deleted. This is especially true of spam blocking filters on your ISP's servers.

These are very loosely controlled for fear that they will wipe out legitimatte emails, so don't expect them to be terribly effective.

As I tell my clients, your best defense is to NOT use your primary email for public offereings - online purchases, bulletin boards and forums, eBay, etc. Most ISP's allow you to have several emails. For that matter, you can buy a domain name, park it somewhere and use that service's email which they almost always offer for free.

I always recommend you set up several emails and have one for purchases, one for online posting, etc.

Then, every six months or so, change the name of those emails - go from bob@mydomain.com to bob1@mydomin.com, etc. That is really the only way to eliminate spam.

And, if you only do some of those things, you can greatly reduce the amount of spam you receive.

4. BBnP4l

BBnP4l Member

outlook 2003 is good with spam. Also, make sure you set your mail client to not load remote images because that shows your email is real.