1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

South Carolina cop charged with murder in black man's death

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheRealist137, Apr 7, 2015.

1. dback816

dback816 Member

Yes, because blaming all cops for the actions of some cops is totally rational and okay.

Blaming the Muslim world for the actions of fringe terrorist groups is also totally okay.

But insinuate anything negative about certain other minority groups with the backings of overwhelming statistics then suddenly it's racist, suddenly it's about numbers don't reveal the whole picture, and how it's the majority keeping them down.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That was straight up murder. There was no threat to the cop as the suspect was running away.

I wonder why they were outside the vehicle for a traffic violation and why the suspect was tasered to begin with. Also, running from a cop is generally not a good idea.

3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Absolutely horrible. I don't think the cop would have gotten away with it were it not for the camera though. They guy was shot 8 times in the back and 0 times in the front, from a distance of more than 10 feet. This is everything the Michael Brown shooting was made out to be, but wasn't.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And give them to crazy people like you? I think not.

5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Wow terrible. This is murder.

His name "slager" is the dutch word for "butcher".

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Imagine the result of this episode without video evidence. Now imagine how often this scene plays out without video evidence.

Ironically, this police department was given money for body cameras, but for some reason they aren't using them.

I wonder why?

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I can't imagine the mindset that would allow one to believe this is just a one-off incident.

1 person likes this.
  8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

He still may have gotten away with it because of the planting of evidence.

9. Remii

Remii Member

The Michael Brown murder didn't have a video... And if this shooting didn't have a video the officer probably would have gotten away with the "feared for my life" crap like most of them do. But if convicted he will probably be out in 5-10 years.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Except in the Michael Brown case the deceased was shot on the front of his body, not the back, forensics supported the officers account of where the deceased was shot and the eyewitness testimony supported the officers account.

I'm not saying this cop wouldn't have gotten off without the video, but the differences are pretty stark.

I mean do you believe that cops are always committing murder and are never justified in use of force?

11. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Pretty sickening video especially after he dropped the taser. I hope this cop gets what he deserves.

12. justtxyank

It's hard to figure out when you watch the whole video what he actually dropped and what he picked up by the victim. I'll be very interested to see what the video experts are able to tell us after they enhance this.

The officer really has no defense though. Even if you accept a theory that the man grabbed the police officer's taser and then ran off, the video clearly shows the officer was in no danger and the amount of time it took the officer to draw his gun and shoot allowed enough space to get between them that the cop can't even begin to make the "I feared he would turn around and _______" argument. I told my wife, watching the video, I can hear it going through that cop's head: "God d*** this stupid prick (insert n word if you prefer) is running." Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Where is Bigtexxx to say he deserved it?

14. justtxyank

CNN had really good coverage on this last night, and Van Jones made the best coherent argument I've seen from talking heads. Normally they go one way or the other too far, but Van Jones was spot on. Not all cops are bad and not all people who get killed by cops are victims. But we have to stop treating cops like sacred super heroes. They are city employees and just like any other city employees, there are some good and some bad.

The time has come for people to wake up and do something about the criminal justice in this country. From the police to the prisons. Reform needs to happen.

15. Remii

Remii Member

I don't believe cops have to empty their clips into people. Just look at the dude with the screwdriver... He was falling back after the 1st shot. Or the Latino dude who was throwing rocks. There's another guy that 5-6 cops shot 30-40 times because he had a knife. A lot of these guys are just assassins.

16. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Need more facts

17. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Bigtexxx must be waiting for the toxicology report. They'll find weed in the guys system and it will be justified in the eyes of tex.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

deleted

#58 REEKO_HTOWN, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  19. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Imagine if we always had the capability to record video instantly.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Deleted

#60 REEKO_HTOWN, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015