1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sous Vide

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Falcons Talon, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Science and data, man.... people don't respect it in GARM, either. Smh.

I've never tried this before, but a lot of people have tried grilling and/or sous vide'ing steaks in mayo. Sounds odd, but then there are a lot of crazy things on YouTube that are revelations to me. I've heard it makes for the best grilled cheese sandwiches, too. I may be willing to try that one before attempting it on a steak, though.

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

It's true. It is like rubbing mustard on certain smoking cuts but a little different. The mayo just makes the sear better than other methods. It's cooked down so much that you're not going to taste it like you would on a sandwich. Can't speak on the grilled cheese as I hate cheese.

It's cool that there is a sous vide thread. I have been using my setup for years and am currently doing pork chops. :)

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You hate cheese? Evil!

Yeah, the mayo thing has been a revelation to me. I didn't know people used it cornbread, either.

I have a rib roast still sitting in my freezer that I'm going to need to sous vide... been saying that for a few months now. I keep forgetting. That and coronavirus has curbed my appetite for beef for some reason. *sigh*

arkoe likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

*EDIT*

Oops... ignore.

6. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I always thought this was ridiculous, and I used to hate mayonnaise when I was younger, but I finally tried it a few years ago and it's absolutely better than using butter (plus you don't have to wait for the butter to melt)

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Yep, this checks out. Just finished a turkey and swiss melt...the mayo is the way to go.

Next time I'm doing a steak indoors I'll try it.

Dr of Dunk likes this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yup. Just tried it myself with a grilled cheese, and I may go this route from now on.

9. Buck Turgidson

Anyone ever done sous vide burgers (seared afterward in cast iron)? Trying it now since it's a blah soggy crap day up here @ I had the patties in the freezer pre-sealed and seasoned and ready to go.

Xerobull likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Oh wow, outside of a campfire cookout I may never cook a burger any other way again. Hell, I may never order another burger again. Damn.

Astrodome and JumpMan like this.
  11. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Intriguing!! So did you use real mayo or miracle whip?? Just a thin layer? I do like grilled cheese but I ruin the bread with the butter and I always forget to put it out to allow it to be soft

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Some people use either, but others say don't use Miracle Whip. Try mayo first, then try Miracle Whip and see. I've never tried it with Miracle Whip.

ROCKSS and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Just make sure whatever you buy has real eggs in it (I just buy regular Hellman's, some people swear by Duke's but I don't use enough on anything to taste a real difference), and I'd stay away from anything "low fat". It's the emulsified eggs and fat that make the browning magic happen, and apparently the low fat stuff can separate when you hit it with heat.

Also, I hate Miracle Whip so I'll never know if it works or not.

As far as how much, this looks about like what I've done:

[​IMG]

#93 Buck Turgidson, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    ROCKSS likes this.
  14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I killed pork belly a few weeks ago. Seasoned sous vide for 36 hours at 150 then seared on the green egg. I didnt even want to share.

15. Buck Turgidson

No brine? What did you season it with?

The burgers were just the best texture and juiciness I've had. I've cooked a bunch but not sure how you could replicate that one.

16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Mainly Montreal and Tony's. No brine but I may add that step.

17. Buck Turgidson

Gotta try the pork belly now.

Astrodome likes this.