1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets looking at Wilson Chandler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 16, 2017.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Cap flexibility, shmexibility ... **** that. Maybe should have thought of that when they gave Ryan Anderson $80 million.

Paging @Carl Herrera! Cap Flexibility and Asset Collection have to go!

So now what? Are we going to punt on 2017 and aim for getting someone in the summer of 2017 or deadline 2018? Are we to be satisfied with Harden wasting an MVP season exiting the 1st round because we are suppose to watch the development of Cap and Asset?

Doesn't move the needle! Don't want him! Isaiah Thomas, doesn't move the needle don't want him! :D Wilson Chandler doesn't move the needle don't want him! Punt on the deadline & save for "cap flexibility"!

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Ask yourself what Wilson Chandler brings to the table and then ask yourself if you can get something similar at a cheaper price.

Somebody sell me on the merits of dealing for Chandler over, say, Robert Covington - at 1/10th of the cost (and no long-term salary commitment).

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Bogut :D

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

If you're only giving up Brewer and KJ(and a pick), it's a good deal. You basically replace Brewer with a much better player. Chandler doesn't really address their biggest needs(another big and another playmaker), but it gives you better depth at the 3 which is certainly not a bad thing.

vtjsr2 likes this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

I would gladly take Rob back but i'm not sure he's available...even though, Simmons and Saric are going to take most of his minutes next season so, who knows...

Ming The King likes this.
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Chandler is just a well-rounded player. He's someone you want off of your bench. Saying he is a rich man's Robert Covington is over-simplified and off target.

He can be physical, he can make athletic plays. He can rebound. He's a mediocre passer and not a great ball handler. Has a nice wing-span. But he's also really quick straight-line and laterally, so he can be a decent perimeter defender if utilized properly. He's more of a balanced Ariza, with slightly less defensive focus and more offensive potential at this point.

Instead of worrying about Covington, you should really be asking what Wilson Chandler could do for the team in Brewer's place.

Fyreball, BigggReddd and J Sizzle like this.
  7. varughese.arun

Wilson Chandler >>>> robert covington

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Brewer has to be included in any WChandler trade to make the salary math work.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Before you do that, ask yourself if Covington is even available. Because there have been no indications that he has.
    So the first merit of dealing for WChandler is....he is available to be had (at some price).

Fyreball likes this.
  10. raining threes

Matt Barnes is getting cut.

Give me him for free vs paying for Chandler.

11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Ideally, and the perfect scenario tbh, is to acquire barbosa and Tyson Chandler. For a package of let's say brewer/kj/ennis/1st.

You somehow gotta convince Tyson to unguarantee his final year or partially guarantee it for like 3m.

Reasons being, it gives us a starting center and a backup guard and allows us to really make a push this year and next.

Then next year we would have Tyson barbosa and ariza expiring. That's 24m which outs you in conversation with Max free agents.

This is the more likely scenario we could add top flight players. I don't see any of the star level players leaving this offseason unless cp3 decides to bolt for San Antonio I could then see us being players for Griffin.

Vivi likes this.
  12. mightybosstone

I generally agree with this, but one guy stands out to me: Gordon Hayward. I think he might be the perfect wing complement to Harden and the ideal No. 2 for this squad. And while I think there's a very good chance he stays in Utah, I also think he'd give the Rockets a legitimate chance to compete for a championship paired with James—something I don't think the Jazz can currently offer him. But if Hayward is a definite "no," Gallo wouldn't be a bad consolation prize, and he shouldn't warrant a max deal like Hayward.

13. mightybosstone

I would love Griffin in this offense, and he'd provide some much needed help on the glass. But just like Ibaka, I can't envision a scenario where he could coexist in the same roster as Ryno. That's why I think Hayward makes way more sense from a roster perspective.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

No offense but this precisely the type of thinking that makes me grateful there are more disciplined and greater minds than both of us calling the shots.

I get it: the trade deadline is like Christmas for us armchair GM's. Other teams are making moves. There's a lot of talent available. It's exciting.

But I asked you to sell me on the merits of trading for a player with similar production and at a much greater cost and you didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. I'm clearly playing devil's advocate here with a valid question, so trying to dismiss it as oversimplified or off target is a reach. Especially, whenever there's a large segment of us that believe DM is trying to avoid trading for long-term salary.

@Deuce I'm playing devil's advocate with a hypothetical question. Not even saying I necessarily want Covington.

Deuce likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

I like him too. He's worked extremely hard in becoming an all star caliber player developing into an all around player. he would fit very nicely here but yeah i just don't see him leaving utah so long as they don't struggle of course

16. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

We need to add strength up front. Rebounding is a huge issue. Stops are hard enough to come by with this team, so giving second chances needs to be a top priority. You can also address this with better perimeter defense. This would stop our bigs from having to help and being out of position to rebound.

The other glaring weakness we have is playmaking ability. We need drive-and-dishers. Currently, playmaking comes from the backcourt exclusively. Gordon isn't even a playmaker here. He's a damn good spot up shooter who can drive. A scorer. Pat has surprised me with his continued improvement on playmaking. But he's easily hurt. So is Gordon for that matter. The luxury of having Harden is that you don't have to have a guard as a playmaker.

Remlap likes this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If you want Hayward, it will take 30.9M in cap space for the max contract. Just know that.

18. varughese.arun

-I think WC is a better DEFENDER than what his numbers show and can be a much needed improvement on DEFENSIVE REBOUNDING.
    He hasnt been happy in Denver for a while. i wouldnt be surprised if he just stopped trying on Defense and Rebounds bc his team sucks.

-Also few years ago he was hitting 39% catch and shoot 3s

- He can create his own shot!
    THIS IS A BIG DEAL.

WC would be Much better than Brewer. I'm almost certain D. MOREY won't give up Dekker or a first round pick. I'd be okay letting Montrezl go for WC.

Willson Chandler would be to Lebron what Vernon Maxwell once was to Jordan.

Deuce likes this.
  19. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Well, the whole Chandler being available thing is the biggest reason.

I'd love Covington back on this roster. Haven't heard one peep that he's available though.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Th
    (One of) the NBA's single most obnoxious players. I like to like the players on the team I like.

Remlap likes this.