1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets looking at Wilson Chandler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 16, 2017.

1. mightybosstone

Looking over Wilson Chandler's contract, I'm less enthused by the idea of him as well. He's got two more years left on his deal for basically $12 million a year. If Houston adds him, it really hurts their cap flexibility this summer. And if Morey is willing to do that, he'd better be damn sure Chandler is the guys who will push this team into contender status. Personally, I don't think he is. He's a very good role player and energy guy, but he doesn't shoot the 3 particularly well, and he's hardly an elite defender.

Meanwhile, Tyson Chandler has a similar contract to Wilson, but at least he provides something the Rockets desperately need right now: interior defense and rebounding. And it doesn't hurt that he's one of the best pick and roll centers of the last decade. Gallo, meanwhile, would be a legitimate No. 2 scorer on this team. He's a much better shooter, he can play the 3 or the 4 and his contract is up this summer, so it gives Morey more flexibility if Gallo doesn't work out the rest of this season. Either way, those two would be significant upgrades, whereas Wilson Chandler would just be a minor addition.

BigMaloe, ramotadab and larsv8 like this.
  2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am not arguing Chandler wouldn't help us, just that he won't help us enough, for the costs, both direct and indirect.

Amir's Johnson likes this.
  3. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Both good points above, flexibility is something that we need. I think we have enough scoring and need a 4 that can play some credible D with the 2nd unit. Dekker is not the 4 that can handle that chore. I'm not as concerned with the 5 spot with Capela and Nene. We need a 4 that allows Anderson to have those off nights, which are occurring on a regular basis lately.

4. mightybosstone

They're different players who would play different roles, IMO. Chandler is more of a volume scorer and energy guy. He can competently defend multiple positions, but he's not stopping anybody and he's not going to be the sharpshooter the Rockets need. Lee, on the other hand, is pretty much the epitome of the "3 and D" player. He can lock down the opposing team's 1, 2 and (occasionally) 3 as well as anybody, and he shoots 42 percent from the 3-point line this season, albeit in a smaller sample size of 3 attempts per game. But he's also not going to consistently provide you offense, and he can't create for himself.

Gun to my head, I think the Rockets could use Lee more than Chandler, but I don't really think either guy is the answer to their problems. And both of them would hurt Morey's cap flexibility this summer.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Thought process on this might be that you have Ariza expiring next summer, so you needed somebody to step in as a starter if we used him as trade bait.

Chandler does have a "good" contract....reasonable even under the old salary cap.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Fair enough, even though, it's not like we lack shooters, imo at least...i think we need more defense and rebounding at this point, trading for Lee (with that contract) to play like what? 15 minutes per game, eh...Chandler would play more minutes than that.

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Was thinking about this yesterday...i wonder if Trevor is willing to resign here for cheap when is contract is going to expire...and what it means cheap with this salary cap...

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Question: if you are dead set on upgrading the center position, would you rather have Tyson Chandler or Robin Lopez?

Bulls have made Rolo available.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So if we add Tyson Chandler, which center are we not playing anymore? Capela or Nene?

I know we need to improve on the interior D, but that seems like a non-starter really. Unless you are straight up trading Capela and upgrading there I don't see it.

10. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Wilson Chandler is a combo forward, but he mostly plays small forward.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why do people want Dudley's terrible contract? If Morey wanted him he would have went and got him this last offseason. Gross.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Chandler is much better IMO

Harrell.

And hell, if Chandler really becomes a force for us, you could consider moving Capella. His value is high, and he could bring back a nice piece.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

Capela might just be the odd man out especially in the playoffs. Harrell/Nene are overall better options when going small ball and of course the FT's

14. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

$12 million is nothing when the cap space is gonna be 126mill next season.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

D'Antoni loves him some Wilson Chandler. Being able to take Ariza/Anderson out of the game and drop Wilson/Dekker in there would be GOLD.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  16. mightybosstone

Depends on the situation. I think D'Antoni has done a great job this year feeling out what's working and what isn't working on a nightly basis. If you trade for Chandler, I think he immediately becomes your starting 5. And it's hard to see a scenario where Houston makes a deal for him without Harrell or Capela getting dealt, so that likely leaves a trio of Chandler, Nene and Capela/Harrell. And just as one of Harrell and Nene currently often don't see minutes in the same game, I think the Rockets would have a similar situation in this scenario. My gut tells me Nene would probably play more than Capela/Harrell, though, as he provides very different strengths offensively than those two and Chandler.

And for the record, I don't necessarily see him as the best answer for the Rockets problems right now, either. But if they're looking for a quick fix to help address an area of need, I think he's a better option than Wilson Chandler.

17. mightybosstone

It's not "nothing" if you're trying to make room for another potential max player. And based on Morey's previous offseasons, I think there's a very good chance he will try to attract another max guy this summer.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

there aren't any true max guys that are realistic options for houston imo. It's going to come down to guys like the ibakas/gallos. Guys who aren't actual stars

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Watch us trade for Wilson Chandler and then MDA takes Dekker out of the rotation and keeps Brewer in

We'd riot

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member