1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They can't use a third to team to manufacture salary matching though.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

EDIT.

DonKnock and Codman like this.
  3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

A three team trade would not change the fact that Lakers are bringing in a single contract worth $20 million and would have to send out almost as much as that. I’m just stating facts here not going out of my way to be evil.

EDIT: if I’m missing something here with the rules of trades I’m more than happy to be corrected

4. ROXTXIA

It'd be tough. Probably wishing they'd held onto Deng a little longer.

5. malakas

malakas Member

The most important thing that Cod said is that Butler refuses to play with Lebron.
    There have been many whispers lately that other stars don't want to play with him but I have always been sceptical because why wouldn't they want to team up with the possible GOAT in LA of all places?

Makes you wonder what is being said in players cycles about what kind of teammate Lebron is! He always gets the players award for player I want to be in my team though year after year.

Easy, Corrosion, jch1911 and 3 others like this.
  6. justtxyank

Still would be hard to pull off.

Nothing out of Laker Land suggests they are willing to move Lonzo, Ingram or Kuzma. So what would they have done?

There's also no reason to believe the Lakers would pay a premium to acquire a guy like Butler and lock up their cap for him when they think they will be serious players for Kawhi or Durant.

I have no doubt that Cod has heard these things I'm just agreeing with the other poster that it's probably not true. I'm sure Cod hears all sorts of things from players/coaches/whatever. It's not all going to be accurate. Those guys are just as prone to making up stuff/playing telephone with what they know/etc. as any other human.

Zoplicone likes this.
  7. fattz

fattz Member

My words are not going to make a difference to you so I will be praying for you. Please know your words and thoughts bring joy to many.

Richie_Rich, Pat, bballjunkie and 6 others like this.
  8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Not saying this is the most rational thing to do but it's not impossible. Again, I can't see the Lakers trade BOTH Ingram and Ball for Butler when they probably didn't offer the same package for a better player in Kawhi...but it's not impossible.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9xv56ua

9. malakas

malakas Member

If they think they are serious players for Durant then I have a bridge to sell them.

DonKnock likes this.
  10. justtxyank

Right, already established that if they were willing to make that offer for Butler they could do it. If they WERE willing to make that offer though Butler would be a Laker already.

Goes back to what has been said already. The Lakers have apparently taken Lonzo and Ingram off the table in ALL trade talks they've had, including for Kawhi.

DonKnock, Zoplicone and steddinotayto like this.
  11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

That was already pointed out.

12. justtxyank

I tend to agree with you, but who knows. People on this board railed against me for saying Lebron was going to LA. DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE! HE'LL NEVER WIN! LOL!

I'd be shocked if Durant left GS to go to LA, but people in LA are taking it seriously.

malakas likes this.
  13. steddinotayto

I think it's probably due to the fact that LeBron's teammates have all went through a neutralization of sorts when they go play with him. Bosh went from an All-NBA player to a 3rd banana shooting 3s. Kevin Love went from an elite player to a spot up shooting PF. Granted all players benefitted from playing with LeBron in terms of getting a ring but for guys that really want to lead (the Kyries, the Butlers(?)) I doubt playing with LeBron is all that beneficial.

Richie_Rich, malakas and justtxyank like this.
  14. justtxyank

Media people keep scoffing at this saying he makes guys better, but there's no evidence of this. He gets shooters open shots, YES. Bosh was very open about how hard it was to play with Lebron. Basically said it wasn't fun and that it's stressful.

With that said, hard to see how a guy who doesn't want to make those sacrifices to play with Lebron would be ok with coming to Houston. Playing with Harden and Paul can't be much easier in terms of limiting what you're going to get to do.

malakas likes this.
  15. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

LeBron isn't going to spend more than a year in "Rebuild/Regenerate" mode....it's championship or bust. Lonzo isn't the guy to do it, nor is Ingram. Kuzma is that piece you cling on to for dear life because of the intelligence and ability to defend and score at all positions.

The Truth: Lakers are doing their diligence. They'd be willing to part with a piece with a third team involved.

16. steddinotayto

Agreed. I think if you're a veteran then it's a no brainer that playing with LeBron has more pros than cons. But if you're a young and upcoming player, you are going to be conditioned to do certain things that benefits the team (e.g. LeBron). Kyrie probably didn't want to be a glorified Mario Chalmers for the rest of his career lol

malakas likes this.
  17. ROXTXIA

Maybe the Lakers are thinking December 15th, when a couple of their new dudes would be available for trade. Granted, that would be wishful thinking; how would the Timberwolves not implode in the meantime?

And it's not what the other poster said, it's how he says it. Confrontational tone.

Anyway, yes, the Lakers' pursuit is a long shot. I don't think Jimmy can keep it together until mid-December.

malakas, DonKnock and steddinotayto like this.
  18. justtxyank

I'd like to see someone post a 3 team trade where enough salary goes out to acquire Butler that doesn't include them moving Ingram and Lonzo. Still run into the same problem. None of their salaries add up without including multiple young pieces and a third team doesn't get to fill that salary gap for you.

Unless you are saying they are willing to trade Lonzo and ingram for Butler which would be huge news and wouldn't require a third team at all probably.

19. justtxyank

They December 15th think is legit. If Butler is still a TPUP but then it opens up everything really.

And yes, I understand the confrontational tone issue. I'm not ragging on CODMAN at all and I hope he doesn't take it that way.

DonKnock likes this.
  20. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Hahaha