1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Lakers plan this summer? Trade for Kawhi - sign Bron/PG

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by cyberx, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

I honestly think "going home" is a bit overstated in matters like these. LeBron doesn't go back to Cleveland if they don't have a young all-NBA point guard and the ability to trade Wiggins for another all star like Love. KD left DC to go to college at UT and didn't even give the Wizards a meeting in free agency, because he doubted ownership. A quarter of American NBA players are from southern california, But you didn't see Harden and Westbrook line up to go home because they sucked.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I don't think Pop cares where Kawhi is from. If he trades him it will be to the highest bidder.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Makes sense, even though for some reason i don't see Kawhi and Lebron mesh together.

I also think the Lakers will be fine with Kawhi and one between Bron and PG like @A_3PO said, which on paper would be good for us too.

4. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Deng isn't even in the rotation, 9 min played all year.

If they intend to dump Deng on San Antonio while getting Leonard, they would give up Ingram and one of Kuzma/Ball for sure, and I'd keep Kuzma over Ball if LeBron is coming, simply because I want the ball in LeBron's hands and Lonzo can't do much off ball.

5. cyberx

cyberx Member

I also don't see teams giving a lot for him if they aren't confident he will resign. I guess we will have to wait.

First Rockets championship parade, THEN free agency!

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Deng is definitely worse than Ryan, Ryan still plays, one of the best stretch four in the league and he's in the rotation on the best team in the league. Deng otherwise isn't even playing in one of the worst teams in the league.

BallSoHarden and malakas like this.
  7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Quite sure Boston will trade for him without assurances because they think they have the right culture and everything. Plus if LeBron goes to the Lakers then Boston will be guaranteed finals berth if they have Leonard. It would make much more sense for Leonard than trying to beat out the Warriors and the Rockets for the next 2 years. Yeah being in LA is great for his brand. But being the finals would more than make up for Boston's "smaller" market.

I can see LA having a prohibitive advantage if it weren't for a team like Boston in the bidding.

ghettocheeze and Nook like this.
  8. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

I doubt he would leave a 62+ win Boston team that would most likely make the finals if the Celtics acquire him.

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, this is also a good point, if Kawhi just wants to be traded like Irving, i can see Boston or Philly make a better offer than the Lakers, they have the assets. But if Kawhi wants to be in L.A like PG Ainge and co. won't offer anything good for him.

10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Lakers could offer a ball and Ingram with filler package. Toss in Cavs 1st but that’s likely not the strongest possible package.

Cleveland could offer up the Bknpick+ Clarkson+ nance

Boston could offer a multitude of picks and player combinations

Ultimately I expect many teams to reach out and engage but I don’t think he is going anywhere

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Something to consider: If Lebron wants to play with Kawliflower, he's got a very good BKN #1 pick to trade, as well as young ex-Lakers. If the Lakers can't navigate the waters of the cap to get all three w/George as well, then Lebron can just stay put, and try to reel in Kawaii with his very good #1.

#31 heypartner, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  12. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Golden Trophies can silence golden jerseys.

13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I have to admit, I kind of liked the years where all three Texas teams were really good.

ghettocheeze and Nook like this.
  14. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Rockets, Spurs, and Mavs were all top 3 in winning percentage from 2003-2016, but during that time, one team had a superstar whom embarrassingly underperformed in the postseason except for one year where he went god mode, one team with an all-time great that crushed everyone's dreams except for those damn Lakers. The third team probably would have been very good if their two best players didn't take turns with season-ending injuries every year.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't think Pop gave him a No Trade Clause

Rocket River

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

@Swiss Roll @cyberx

i hear you but so many things have to happen and happen in an exact order that i just don't see it. i also don't see pop giving away kawhi after what he put them through. he will gut the lakers or he won't move him. more likely that the spurs make the lakers wait until 2019 and by then lebron will be somewhere else.

like i said, too many steps, and i really don't see lebron spending his final years in the west unless it's with a western powerhouse ala gsw, houston. otherwise he will stay in the east where he can coast until the all star break then wipe the floor.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  17. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

I never said that its going to happen, Boston or Philly could offer more and the Lakers could fail to dump Deng. LeBron could go to Philly or stay in Cleveland. There are many things that could derail this scenario, but they could pull it off if things break their way.

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

nobody knows but everybody knows it's rox or cleveland!

19. cyberx

cyberx Member

Understand 100% - big things like this are hard to pull off. I do think the Lakers have the assets and pieces to get a star. I really think BI is going to be a GREAT NBA player. The kid can play. Do I know San Antonios interest? No, I do not. I just know what the Lakers are prepping to offer. I know Pop loves BI and Randle. I think those 2 are great pieces for them. Also, a player like Josh Hart OR Zubac would thrive in SA. Again, a personal opinion.

ghettocheeze and ipaman like this.
  20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I hope this happens. It will make the Lakers a good team, but not good enough to win it all. As others stated, Pops isn't giving up Leonard for cheap. Their bench will be weak and LeBron will be that much older.

I am starting to feel Leonard is damaged good. He is either mentally fragile or physically fragile. He was fortunate to have the teammates he did in SAS. LeBron and the Lakers have way too much drama for him to thrive.

ghettocheeze likes this.