1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Butler will be Moreys main target this summer, and he feels fairly confident it will happen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Knight and Chriss were bricks on the salary cap more than players, with players (Gordon) we offered two picks ;)

#381 Vivi, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    malakas and pippendagimp like this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

young kids and brett brown, plus missing their best player. they looked like a hot mess last playoffs too. reddick can't shoot anymore and butler seemed hesitant to shoot this game.

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Ok

BamBam and burlesk like this.
  4. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

They were younger last year and missed their best player when they cleaned up the end of the regular season.
    I do agree with you, they’re a hot mess.
    But to not expect them to beat the Bulls when competing with Indy would be some Oracle type stuff.

5. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

When you watch Jimmy in Philly he is completely taken out of his game. The few times there are sets for him it is so forced and he clashes with Simmons in the same role and Embiid doesn't want to clear the lane. Harris has fit like a glove and they have made the effort to get him more involved at the expense of Jimmy. Philly is the least likely PnR team and Houston is maybe the most. Butler would thrive in our take turn ISO PnR that would preserve all three stars. In Houston, CP3 would want to thrive as the facilitator and focus less on scoring (15/10) so it would balance perfectly. Butler would fit the PG13 role and for a full 48 minutes they would be rotated so you have two on the court at the same time. I still don't think we swing this in the end but all three get along well.

jch1911, joshuaao, RyanB and 5 others like this.
  6. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I think he would shoot a lot better from 3 with us like PG13 has in okc, especially when he shares the court with cp3 and harden.

I don’t know if its harden or MDA prob both but everyone on this team gets wide open looks.

Even harden just standing around without the ball taking a breather 35 ft from the basket draws defenders to him, crazy.

Starting next year harden needs to lessen his usgage imo.

He’s had statistically one of the best 5 yr runs in nba history. Time to pull it back in the regular season as he turns 30 next season. So he can compete for chips the next 5 years as the best player in the team. Having jimmy and of course cp3 would help a lot.

If we could somehow get butler without giving up Gordon or tucker we’d be the best team in the league by a wide margin.

RichieBanks, RyanB, lilbird20 and 3 others like this.
  7. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

To me this is the heart of it. There are always perfect scenarios and perfect decisions and none of those are the reality you face. Right now the perfect player for us is Butler. The fact that this is still being talked about outside of our little forum says something about the relationship of Butler to Harden/CP3 and what Morey knows he missed on. CyberX pushed this last offseason for a reason and it is obvious it is very real. Still doesn't mean it happens. I will add because of the 120% rule I think that we can easily convince Shumpert to do a SNT + Nene and all of the picks we can send and Philly would want to get this done. This doesn't mean this is Butler's first or second option or that there aren't other obstacles. Just the possibility from our end. If he wants to come here I think we can do it. I would also promise him the 5th year if it was a condition to him going along with the opt in. I would trade Gordon but I would try to keep him as well. After next season, we are going to have some flexibility with signing an aging 6th man guard. No one is lining up to pay him $20M a season and he has a chance to sign a final 4yr deal with us to end his career. I doubt his price tag is as high as his current deal and he will want that stability.

This is our best and ONLY chance at a championship team. These are the BEST options we have to make this work and you have to overpay NOW because the future without it has unknown and less value. This with a 3yr TP MLE Faried gives us 7 top rotation players a team of vet mins that can be augmented by more rings chasers to fill that 8th spot. We get G Green back and maybe House can fill that 8th slot.

IvanLCPM, Handles, Relativist and 3 others like this.
  8. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Agreed and I think everyone knows Durant is gone from GSW for sure. If we beat them this year and then get Butler we will own the NBA for years with a Butler trade. Philly wants to own the East. They cannot afford to lose Butler and get nothing back no matter what it does for us. Toronto is likely to weaken and Boston as well. The Bucks are great this year but who knows in the future. Philly has a big upside with keeping Harris but they have diminished their assets losing Covington, Saric and picks. Shumpert plus a windfall of picks gives them a lot of flexibility back to upgrade.

YaoMing#1 likes this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yup. People get a bit too caught up in salary sometimes. Just get talent on the court. Let Morey worry about the salary and how the pieces fit.

Also, people tend to think the Rockets (or any team really) can get TOO CHOOSEY with getting stars. Every player has warts. Sometimes you just have to get the best talent you can and accept some shortcomings.

Hakeemtheking, topfive and D-rock like this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

THIS right here.

RyanB likes this.
  11. thekad

thekad Member

Seems unlikely the Sixers would take a S&T’d Shumpert and be hard-capped. I think Gordon will have to go in any trade, if only to save Tilman money.

joshuaao likes this.
  12. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Why
    I think 76ers gonna lose in the first or second round. Blame brown, fire him n break that team up. Its obvious from here. U have ur best player that's always hurt(embid) ur next star that wount even attempt a 3(Simmons) Harris is a really good player but not a guy u give max money too. They have to win it all this year to bring them guys back. N they wont

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The pathway is via Butler "opt in and trade" like CP3 did with the Clippers in the trade to the Rockets.

Yes, a Butler trade would involve Gordon and likely Nene.

I believe the 76ers max Tobias Harris. He will have suitors. He is young enough. 76ers trade for him, giving up the assets that they did, was the tell on what they wanted to do. It is a hedge on Butler.

Butler can leave the 76ers and they get nothing in return. If Butler is cool with Houston, Morey could work with the 76ers to give them some assets to facilitate a trade. Same way Morey worked with the Clippers.

14. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Sorry if this has been covered but I haven’t been paying much attention to acquisitions after the deadline and buyout market passed. But if opt-in and sign is the angle here in the off season, wouldn’t the biggest hurdle to overcome be butler leaving crazy money like CP3 did on the table for a year? Are there any indications or reports that he’s willing to do that? I mean cp3 did it and no one saw that coming but I don’t know if butler is similar in that respect.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

CP didn't really leave money on the table. He got a 4 year deal AND the opt in. If CP left in FA he would just get the 4 year deal. Butler is YOUNGER so that could be a factor for him in terms of getting ANOTHER contract.

Playing this out.....what is Butler likely to get?
    - 5 years MAX from Philly?
    - 4 years MAX from Clippers/Lakers/Knicks?
    - 4 years MAX from "team X" in an "opt in and trade?"

I don't know. I don't know if he gets "FULLY Maxed." Where is the best fit for Butler?

Kawhi likely to the Clippers
    KD likely to the Knicks.
    Not so sure the Lakers would make a play nor that Butler has interest in being the fall guy to a LeBron team.

Corrosion and lilbird20 like this.
  16. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

i hope not. i don't like jimmy butler.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

And try to avoid genital-wart guys like Dwert.

18. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Thanks for the break down but i should clarify. CP3 didn’t leave money but risked money on the opt in. He trusted the rockets enough to take that risk because he believed in himself, the organization and the fit enough to do that.

I guess my question here is has there been any report of him willing to do that or is all the talk in here based off Morey’s desire to pursue him and because of that the opt-in being the only real way to do that?

19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I just think the boy has too much pride

20. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

If Philly was next year or the year after and had to pay Embiid and Simmons then yes then wouldn't be doing a S&T. This year they are at the good spot of being right at the cap and not being at the apron. They would still have the full MLE and BAE up until the apron. After this year they are in cap hell. Just like us, Shumpert would be a contract asset they could use with other assets to upgrade. Losing Butler for nothing is a HUGE risk for them. IF Butler gives it to us, that would be huge leverage.