1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Butler still Moreys MAIN target this summer/MDAs seat getting hot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 10, 2019.

1. rocketseagles07

I’ve always thought butler was good but a little overrated.

Having said that he’s the only reason why philly is still in this series I don’t know what you guys don’t like about him as a NUMBER 2

xaos likes this.
  2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Gordon has been here for 3 years, how many players are getting traded in the first three years of their contract? Let's not overeact here, the media darling Warriors who can do no wrong were pretty quick to dump Bogut in order to sign Dwight, just like the Raptors traded their boy Derozan after telling him he was not going to be traded, or like OKC traded Oladipo after one season to get Geroge, pretty sure there's plenty of other examples to be made, that's just how the nba works.

3. bmelo

bmelo Member

Backcourt od CP Harden Butler+ Tucker? Man thats a dog fight and i love it

xaos likes this.
  4. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Yesssss please....people are sleeping on how good butler fits on this team....it mores cp3 back to 3rd best player on the team..his age says he cant be 2nd on a championship team...next year. Plus people butler is a 2 way player...u can never go around with a 2 way star. Plus he isos like we isos.

TheRedRanger likes this.
  5. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

Unfortunately none of us can put an owner on the hot seat, or get him fired. I'm convinced that the cost cutting to get under the luxury tax was clearly Tillman driven, and it cost us a lot of picks (and some offseason flexibility). It seemed that Morey followed orders, and somehow navigated this team to a top-4 seed without hitting the luxury tax threshold in a season where we have a very short window to win a championship with 34-year olds PJ Tucker and Chris Paul.

However, let's stop already with the 'free agent losses' being a bad decision by Morey:

Trevor shot .399 FGs and .334 3FG this season...less efficient with each passing season as he ages. (He turns 34 next month).
    Worse, on defense, his DRPM dropped from #14 at his position (+1.15) last year to #82 this year (-1.24).
    That's HORRIBLE production at $15MM/year.

Luc played in FOUR games all year. I'm convinced the Rockets' medical staff knew that Luc had injuries that needed surgeries and were convinced that he was high risk. What a horrible use of the MLE (or even a vet minimum) that would have been.

None of the VETERAN minimum acquisitions worked, so no argument there, although Ennis played as expected at his cost. I have no idea whether Melo was the reason Bzedlik left, and then came back (after Melo was jettisoned) or not, but I'd add that into the whole Melo debacle. It was supposed to be low risk, high reward - but clearly team chemistry, his terrible play, and the Bzedlik saga made this a MUCH higher risk signing than acknowledged.

Daryl is boxed into a corner now on salary cap, so whenever this season ends, it will likely be another frustrating offseason.

6. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Hope management told MDA that he may be getting some heat depending on this series outcome. Needs to step it up.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You nailed it. I couldn't agree more with the bolded parts. I like Mike D but man, I just don't get this stuff. Including why Nene played 4 minutes when he played well.

#67 napalm06, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Except Jerebko only played because Durant was hurt. Kerr did not bring him in during the two losses in Houston.

Kerr is doing the same thing, playing very short rotations because of limited depth.

If Faried actually wasn't such a huge defensive liability I think dantoni would play him more.

10. xaos

xaos Member

One small note: Elton has made big name moves (Butler/Harris) because he's had an accumulation of assets GMs dream of. But to think Morey could negotiate a deal with Elton Brand has to be in the mix, right?

11. macan

macan Member

Thank you cyberx! I needed it in a dark time like this!
    bring jimmy buckets home Morey!

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I didn’t say they would want to get rid of him, but if he wants to leave he can. So why not get something in return? He’s a FA so it makes perfect sense if Butler wants to leave.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

East is the best place for anyone.......easier path to the Finals...... and you know it!

Lebron is out of the way too. Well, maybe pray for an injury to Giannis.

Philly is a like a second or third Rockets team..... they got history with Hinkie.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

You might be right, but when has Butler shown any lasting loyalty? When has Butler stated that he wants to stay in Philly? Just not sure it’s a foregone conclusion.

Also, the Bucks look like they are here to stay.

Let’s look at Philly? Is Simmons an important enough piece to stay? Probably not. Embiid imo has serious health concerns moving forward. Is Harris good enough to be a main cog and will Philly sign him to a huge deal? Not so sure.

If Butler chose Houston, I think he would love the offense, he loves to iso. I think the Rockets would put the ball in his hands often, especially with Paul in serious decline.

Do I think Butler to Houston happens? I think it’s unlikely, but a case can surely be made.

Vivi likes this.
  15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Man, this is so weak. Like, y’all done mixed a can of tomato sauce with a gallon of water, sprinkled some salt on it and called it spaghetti in your best Italian American accents. Middle of a war and y’all minds are on what? Blowing up the squad?!?!

Madmanmetz and Plowman like this.
  16. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

He's too much of a players coach. His subbing is atrocious or either nonexistent. This coach is letting this team make the same mistakes as previous years. Its the coaches job to call out adjustments and hold slackers accountable.

I promise you, if we win anything it wont be because of his coaching lol. I've seen better coaches do more with less, such as JVG, Adelman, Popovich.

I personally would love to pry Popovich from SA but he just signed another contract.

17. PrinceH

PrinceH Member

If Morey can move CP3 AND get Butler he's a magician

JoeBarelyCares and ROXTXIA like this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I have no problem firing MDA if he cant get us out of this. If not now... WHEN?

19. Voltik

Voltik Member

I am not completely sold on Jimmy Buckets being a viable option espically after our series with Wolves, barely noticed him playing and making a meaningful impact. This year with 76ers has been disspointing, he’s dissapered so many times during games.

20. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

If Butler comes, Paul is gone. If they don't beat the Warriors with a healthy Paul, he is useless. It would be better to try to unload his contract while he still has game left and do whatever they can to retain Rivers and keep Gordon while possibly adding Butler. Or any star who doesn't share the same position as Harden.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.