1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] European championship 2012

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by arno_ed, Dec 15, 2011.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If the U.S is going to create a crop of great midfielders they will need to change the mindset of kids and how they look at football. I think it will take a full generation to see very football intelligent kids that know football beause of international play on TV (espn) and MLS games.

The exposure to really great international football growing up will be key just like the kids that watched Magic Johnson play. It will take a seed to grew in a kid's mind that will inspire him to dump the "I want to score goals" attitude and see the beauty of the game.

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Worldsoccershop.com

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You know what is cool, is that we went to a party at a friends house yesterday to watch the match.

The guy is an ex NCAA Div 1 linebacker and has never played soccer before, but his son plays on our team and he has embraced the sport.

10 years ago, I think that would not be happening, soccer has really finally gotten a toe hold in the USA, it will only get better.

And, I think ESPN has helped a lot.

DD

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I know, I was being nice.

:)

DD

5. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

Can you guys tell me this:
    I thought Sergio Ramos (#15 Spain) got two yellow cards in 2 straight consecutive games (vs France & Portugal) and he couldn't play in he final?

6. il italiano

il italiano Member

but the reason its not prevalent on club teams is because its really hard to replicate. 1st you must have exceptionally talented and technical players on another level. 2nd the amount of time and dedication it takes to implement a system like barcas is incredible. Most teams dont have the resources or patience to do it.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

All cards were wiped clean after Quarterfinals according to UEFA.

8. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

Very good, thanks for the response. I almost bet against the Spain because I thought Ramos was not playing, I'm glad I didnt :)

9. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

My attempts at highbrow humor were lost in translation. Damn internet.

10. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

UEFA and FIFA decided to change those rules and to wipe out all yellow cards after quarterfinal game, so a player could only miss finals because of a red card, being sent off in a semis...

No More Michael Ballack vs Brazil

11. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

It was a pretty curious situation when even ref said that he didn't remember about Ballack's yellow card and if he did remember, he never showed him this YC on a semifinal game vs South Korea

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Agree with DD, more teams should play like Spain/Barca. Always look for the open man, create short passing distances and play slow with low risk until you see space or a potential situation that ends in a goal. It's what I always preach when playing in my freetime and with friends. Don't try to play too risky/rely on 1on1 situations, secure the ball and make the easy passes instead of trying something fancy. Don't let the opponent come too close to the ball. People sadly barely have their heads up to scan the field and look at their team mates, same with the patience to play in a calm manner.

It's not the most beautiful thing for the audience sometimes, but surely the best way to success.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

14. REEKO_HTOWN

LOL. I didn't see this earlier but after the Semi-finals here's a gem

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Mario Balotelli: "I will invite Shakira to the final, so that she can see what I will do to her boyfriend (Pique)."</p>&mdash; Latest Football News (@Euro2012_NOW) <a href="https://twitter.com/Euro2012_NOW/status/219121004771938304" data-datetime="2012-06-30T17:31:33+00:00">June 30, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

and this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ug9D5530rrE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#1314 REEKO_HTOWN, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  15. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I find the Spanish/Barca style of play very boring to watch. I compare them to the Spurs. I still respect them, but boring none the less.

And to compare this to Total Football is a bit of a joke. Yes, Barca did orginially get this style from Cruyff and the Netherlands but it has been heavily adapted. I tend to describe the difference as, "Total Football is different than this Spanish style in the sense that Total Football is always about moving the ball forwards and creating runs opening up through the triangle passing but the Spanish style tends to be more about possesion and just passing and eventually trying to score."

16. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Well Barca makes it look better because of that dude with the #10 running around creating chaos. :)

17. REEKO_HTOWN

You guys have to watch the Pepe show on Youtube when it comes out. Sergio Ramos is drunk and talking about balls. LMAO.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Love how he adds the #15 so that we know which player he talks about. :grin:

19. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Arsenal actually play a very similar style. They just aren't as good as Barcelona at pulling it off, but then Arsenal don't have Leo Messi and Xavi.

20. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

The wikipedia entry for Total Football does a decent job in summarizing the current use: