1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So What Do You Sacrifice?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T FOR 3!!!, Jan 6, 2023.

?

Who are you?

1. Luthen: We're in it for the Endgame

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Red Head dude: I would like to be excused from the rebuild

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Andor is the best Star Wars Content in the last Decade

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. I watch the Mavs now

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I feel like the most vocal members of our fanbase have officially had it with losing. There's literally multiple polls on twitter asking who we should blame for the current team, every other tweet is about firing Silas, and I just wanted to put some things out there that I feel like aren't focused on enough.

The rockets traded Harden in January 2021. The team at the end of that month started a 6 game win streak and won 7 out of 8. February 6th started our 20 game losing streak and officially kicked off the tank.

Many forget it was a shortened season as well that only required 50 games of tanking. Just for reference, we have 43 games left this year. We tanked for 50 games and basically won a coin toss to draft Jalen Green. 50 games for Jalen is absurd! Something that may have skewed many fans thoughts of how much time actually goes into a tanking rebuild.

Last season we tanked our way to a 3rd pick (in a draft that was top 3 heavy) and got another amazing talent that fits right next to Jalen. You couldn't plan it much more perfect if you were trying. Several other pieces include Sengun showing elite flashes, Tari being a true hooper and getting KPJ for absolutely nothing!

So... Here we are, 43 games left in the last year we control our pick. Not even 2 actual calendar years into our tank, with several generational prospects declaring this year, and suddenly it's too much?... We have had one of the quickest rebuilds ever!

You would think a city that watched what the Astros have become would have more resilience, but maybe not. Sam Hinkie crawled so that Stone could run, and things are going ALMOST (you can nitpick all day) exactly as planned. If you want to point fingers at someone, point them at Stone, because this has always been the plan.

So pick which character from this clip that you are. Are you someone who understands the assignment and can sacrifice playing the blame game or do we need another "who's fault is it" poll?

Any reason to post about Andor is worth it!

ramotadab, Corrosion, burlesk and 3 others like this.
  2. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Getting high draft picks does not mean the rebuild is going quickly, it just means your team is very bad. You need players to actually pan out to say that a rebuild is going quickly. Where did JG finish in ROY rankings? Where will Jabari finish?

duluth111222, DaDakota and evo8lover like this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Great thread. Tanking is not easy, nor is it for the weak of heart. If you think 2 seasons of sucking is enough to vault this post-Harden/MDA franchise back into contention, I've got some very bad news for you:

TANKING IS HARD!
    [​IMG]

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

One thing I know, I don't want to sacrifice our future.

ramotadab and Corrosion like this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

5th? He was first team and that was with a putrid start to his rookie season.

topfive likes this.
  6. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Jalen had a rough start and still made the all rookie team and is the leading scorer from his class. Better yet his shooting struggles have proven he can score even when his shot is off.

Jabari is going through early growing pains and is still #3 on the NBA rookie ladder, and we knew his game was going to take longer to be appreciated.

Only 3 players were drafted ahead of our 2 guys. 2 out of the 3 are out for the season… Even though it’s way too early, they both have looked great.

ramotadab, topfive and Deckard like this.
  7. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

There’s loosing but looking good doing and there’s loosing and just looking like doo do. As a fan I understand a rebuild it takes time but I also want to see improvement from young players. For instance green become more consistent with his efficiency scoring and defense. Porter jr less turnovers, so for. This rockets team under Silas looks like doo-doo. Just how I feel and my opinion

ramotadab likes this.
  8. Xopher

Xopher Member

Swap out "Curve Ball" for "3-pointer"

9. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Finishing 5th in ROY rankings, when being selected 2nd in what is shaking out to be a pretty weak draft is not something I would qualify as being part of a "quick rebuild". He started out bad, but he really has not gotten much better this year. He actually looks worse than he did to end the season last year. He and KPJ ended the season very well, but still lost a ton of games. They don't look like they did the last 7 games of the previous season.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

High draft picks bust more often than hit.

DD

11. bj3175

bj3175 Member

I want to see the young guys use Rick Adelman's offense. Even if they lost games that would make for a dominant young team when this tanking stops

evo8lover likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

His shooting looks worse. His pnr ball handling is significantly better(best on the team on high volume). And he's getting to the rim and therefore to the line a lot .ore so than anyone else in his class.

The only regression is shooting and that can be from many factors like getting used to more muscle mass.

13. fchowd0311

Good thing no is a bust on our roster.

14. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

i think they could end up tanking beyond this season. If they are the worst team again, there are OK odds of keeping the OKC pick for 2024.

topfive likes this.
  15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

its a sh*tshow...

we're not building a culture - we're still accommodating dysfunction....

guys arent learning... its all flashes without consistent improvement...

we can continue to add assets...

but were jus looking more n more like the 80s/90s clippers... potential talent without direction...

BallSoHarden and fchowd0311 like this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

Some folks just didn't truly grasp what a true rebuild would take...... or they didn't believe what it would take.

We got "lucky" keeping the #2pick in 2021, but we haven't gotten "lucky" with a Ja or Luka or Tatum or whoever being within reach. I bet folks are wishing we had Paolo now instead of Mr Jabari "fit" Smith Jr.

I doubt many folks also grasp that there are no untouchables and that we may trade any of high draft picks for the right player. High draft picks aren't just meant for development and to grow old with.....

17. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. dmoneybangbang

LOL. All because of we traded James Harden half a season into the 2021 season? We talking two full seasons of tanking from midway of 2021 to almost midway of 2023...... and now we are worried like we'll be rudderless for a decade(s)?

Get a hold of yourself.....

xaos likes this.
  19. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

TY LAWSON IS MY SPIRIT ANIMAL

20. a time to chill

At some point (this offseason) Stone is going to have to make a splash to bring in more talent by moving some players and picks in addition to working free agency. Stone didn't do anything besides the draft to improve the team and our top draft picks have underperformed which are the main reasons we look like WWE jobbers on a nightly basis.