1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So Time Warner is finally making their caps official...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by br0ken_shad0w, Apr 2, 2009.

1. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Remember that metered plan they were trying out in Beaumont? Looks like that was a success:

At least the 250gb cap from Comcast was reasonable. This is highway robbery. Hope you folks in San Antonio and Austin and other places find better a better ISP (if you don't have a monopoly already in place).

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

**** Time Warner.

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

You have no idea.

Cliffnotes: Tax breaks given to shore up telecom infrastructure to the tune of 200 billion were wasted by these jerkholes. Instead, we are now paying more for lousier service instead of the fiber they promised but never installed.

EDIT: Oops! Fixed link. One is the investor scam (750 billion) the other is the government tax scam (200 billion).

#3 rhadamanthus, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm happy for some price differentiation. As a technology laggard, I'd rather not subsidize folks who are more aggressive in their consumption.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Al Gore won't stand for this!

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This isn't about consumers using too much, it's about providers not wanting to catch up to the times.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

:confused: It doesn't matter what it is "about." The effect would be lower prices for low-level consumers like me.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

40 GB, wow that is ridiculous.

9. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I wish I knew how much I used :/ It isn't something I've ever needed to know.

Like, how much is streaming a movie on Netflix? Playing WoW for an hour?

10. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I thought the govt was intervening with this nonsense.

11. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

If other cable companies follow suit, which they probably will, how will this affect online gaming activities?

12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

So if we already have Time Warner, does this affect us? When they test-marketed it Beaumont, I thought it was just for new customers. If so, I'm switching to AT&T.

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

How? I pay 34.99 for a 3 meg VZW DSL pipe.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

5 GB cap is ridiculous.

WTF.

15. Nero

Nero Member

Folks this is a *Good Thing*.

Remember the very early days of the internet, with the early crapfests of places like AOL, Prodigy and Compuserve?

From the very beginning, those outfits wanted to charge a rate instead of a flat fee per month. All it did was piss people off and encourage them to use their service LESS.

And think about it, back then it was mostly early-adopters, and even they couldn't stand it. Those models vanished when consumers abandoned them for ISPs who charged a flat rate.

Warner just needs another reminder. They will see their customer base erode drastically in these markets, and the plan will once again end up on the trash heap, and maybe they will get it through their heads for another generation or so that this kind of moronic money-grabbing is not going to work. There are simply too many competitors who offer flat rates.

And not only that, but if other outfits want to follow suit, so what? It just creates more demand for the smaller flat-rate sellers, and gives opportunities for more start-ups.

This thing is going to crash and burn. Their 'trial' (Beaumont? really? Beaumont?), if they deemed it a 'success' was fool's gold. Others in the industry wil watch and see how badly it fails. Good for the rest of us. :)

16. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

you'll hit your cap in 5 hours.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm ready for some viable internet and cable competition to TW, ATT, and Crapcast.

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

no FiOS in Houston so eventually we'll be fuked by Comcast too.

19. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

has to be on new customers, if you already have a contract at a set price they can't breach the contract legally...this is bs, i doubt it will work, too much backlash, public outrage will damage this plan

i hope

20. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Super. :'(

(I don't have Time Warner, just worried about the cascade.)