1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Smegs are coming to America again

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SmeggySmeg, Mar 20, 2011.

1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

damn straight, a great way to live your life :p

2. SmeggySmeg

Thanks Rimbaud, will check out that resort, been watching a few hotels, but liking the condo idea

3. VanityHalfBlack

I'm new, are you a band/ Theater troupe, what???

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

think jackson 5, but joe jackson on steroids. that's smeggy.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Smeg,

If you and the misses like wines, you should try to get in a little of the Napa region, it is only about 45 mins north of San Fran, and there are some great B&Bs to stay in up there, as well as a train through the wine country.

Also, when are you in Houston, I might have to drive up and say hello for old time sake...

9 years ago....man, that was a long time ago.

DD

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Are you coming to the AMERICAn Continent, or just to the United States? :-? <- oops, that smiley doesn't exist in ClutchFans...

I meant :confused:

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like a good trip but I have to caution you about deciding to drive from Boulder to CA in the winter. There can be a lot of bad snow storms in the Rockies and Sierras that can shut down the roads. Plus if you aren't used to mountain and snow driving it still might be difficult even if the roads aren't shut down.

Anyway if you make it up to MN for some reason feel free to drop me a line. Also what part of Australia are you from? My mom will be in Perth for awhile and might stop by there sometime in the next year.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is overstated....

Saying snow storms shut down I-70 is like saying don't fly in to Denver airport (DIA). Snow storms rarely shut down I-70 for very long, because it is a very important truck route for interstate commerce (the alternate routes are going to Wyoming or New Mexico...states away) and it is the *only* route from Denver to the ski resorts. However, accidents do shut it down. So, 3 hour traffic jams can happen.

Just like saying don't fly into DIA, I wouldn't adjust a vacation path based on whether I-70 will be closed or not. Colorado is extremely efficient at clearing that route...just like they are at getting DIA cleared for traffic.

9. SmeggySmeg

cheers guys thanks for the advice, at this stage looking like Orlando, (will be in orlando for superbowl sunday, i assume there will be good viewing opportunities) then up east coast (note sure liking the drive idea and check out smaller towns), some how make our way to DC then New York, then probably Houston, then Boulder, then somehow into california either one way drop off rental to SF or maybe fly to LA then drive up california to SF, on way out thinking a quick trip down to San Diego.... although will be flexible and can adjust for weather

so b-bob and giddy-up a catch-up looks possible, plus of course something in Houston

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That's crazy. I used to live about ten miles from the original Chautauqua in New York (Actually worked there one summer). I had no idea there were others...

11. SmeggySmeg

Napa that would be awesome

Damn straight you'll be coming to Houston, beers on me mate!

12. SmeggySmeg

Heypee - is it a scenic drive?

13. heypartner

absolutely...I-70 through Colorado is one of the best major I-# interstates drives there is in all of the United States. Basically, any highway in Colorado in every direction is scenic. But once you leave Colorado, you must cross the deserts to get to California. But that is the same for any route to California. If your goal is SF after Boulder, I-70 it is.

If it wasn't winter you'd have more vacation route options...but we can talk. I'd like to here your itinerary. There are stopping points between Boulder and SF that are worth it. You can also make the drive in one day...but maybe not with Smeggy Smeg Jr. Have you considered Tahoe or SLC as stops in route to SF.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True they might not shut it down but you might also be stuck in traffic for a long time. A couple of times its taken me 5 hours to get from Denver to Dillon. Also I-70 isn't the worse. If they are taking I-80 from Reno to Sacramento during the winter than can get really bad.

If you aren't used to driving in snow and / or in mountains I would be cautious about doing either of those drives in the winter.

15. SmeggySmeg

certainly not in a rush, and hadn't decided on stops at all, was looking at one way return rentals on a campervan which costs $1 a day

really our itinerary right now is very flexible, in via LA on the 1st, straight to orlando and there for 5 days, after that nothing is definite, want to do New York at some stage.... but rest is flexible

16. heypartner

smeggy! this is a big country...as you know. The camper will break down...if you intend to go from LA to Orl to NY to Houston to Boulder to SF to Portland.

No American would attempt that drive...even in 1 1/2 months that you are saying.

I would suggest after ORL and the east coast to fly to Houston. Do not drive. Maybe then fly to Boulder...vs driving. Then get the camper. Scenic drives start in Colorado and finish on Highway 1 in California. Do all your other stuff first. Get the camper in Colorado and go from there.

but we should talk

#56 heypartner, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  17. SmeggySmeg

Heypee not driving all that only bit is either boulder to SF or maybe SF to LA

18. SmeggySmeg

anyone aside Rimbaud have some Orlando accommodation suggestions, at the moment the Hampton Inn Lake Buena Vista is our fav, cheap, free breakfast and close to the park

19. SmeggySmeg

hey rimmy,

checked out floridays resort, coming up at $170 a night at the moment for out dates, so probably not at this stage

20. SmeggySmeg

ummm why is this thread no longer in the hangout