1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, Russians Committed Espionage to give the Presidency to Its Stooge, and We're Just Gonna Take It?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Nov 16, 2016.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Do you even know which hacking we/the NSA are referring to?

The hack of the DNC (by Russia, to install Trump) was not the same thing as the silly private state department email to avoid FOIA.

They are not the same thing.

Do you understand this? I'm actually seriously asking if you knew these things were different.

2. Dei

Dei Member

Bill shares the same opinion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ngry-threw-phone-roof-Arkansas-penthouse.html

Just because the Russians showed Hillary used an illegal server, was doing favors for donors and treating everyday Americans with contempt doesn't mean Hillary didn't do all those things. The thing is with a leak, the offense caused by the leaker is actually relatively trivial; it's the actual admission of guilt of the party leaked that does most of the damage. You could even argue what a leaker does to expose wrongdoings is a public service.

#22 Dei, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The analogy in this situation is if you had an elementary school teacher where your children attend that lost his job after someone exposed the fact that he was a convicted sex offender who had inappropriately touched little kids in the past.....but the person who exposed that information did so because they wanted someone else to get that job.

Would you

1. Be glad that the teacher got exposed and fired?

or

2. Be upset that the hacker's friend got the job?

It's funny though, everyone seems to love the romanticized idea of a hacktivist exposing corrupt politicians....until it's a corrupt politician they support.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I would be concern if she benefitted.
    Hell I am really not enamored with the Idea of some Electoral Coup where they give the Presidency to her
    All of that would be Hell and IMO Almost Civil War Worthy

America has allowed a **** storm.
    Time to work through it.

The Idea of Muslims having to register
    and **** like that. . . . is almost Civil War Worthy as well

National Stop and Frisk . , . . is almost Civil War Worthy

My point is .. . this presidency can be explosive or not . . . if the Russians are behind it
    That too .. . maybe Civil War worthy.
    They will have their Cheif Operative in the Presidential bed .. . to make sure he behaves #Snark

Rocket River

5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

This may be a generational thing. I am old enough to remember doing "duck and cover" drills in elementary school, in case we were nuked by the Soviet Union. I have considered Russia an adversary for my entire life.

Younger people have a totally different reality. They never saw Russia do any stuff that affects them. They think terrorists are the biggest threat to America. They never knew a world in which the Internet did not exist.

I do find it very surprising that Republican are now the party of "who cares about the Russians," but I was born during the Cold War.

Deckard and LonghornFan like this.
  6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Should be obvious as I mentioned all three in my first post. All three were in a position to easily prevent this from happening. They were instead negligent and paid a price. You are angry at the car thief who stole a car that was left on the road with the keys in it for months and defending the owner. I blame both with the understanding that car thieves will always exist and the owner had easy convenient access to a virtual Fort Knox and decided it was too much trouble.

sugrlndkid likes this.
  7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

SamFisher's credibility never recovered after the 2004 prediction that the "cell phone voter" was going to save the day and elect John Kerry over W. He lives in his faux elite legal echo chamber, likely in a gentrified hipster enclave in Brooklyn, and looks down upon the deplorables.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Brexit + Russian/US better Relations = they gonna form their own BIG THREE

Rocket River

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's a big red flag. But the Obama Admin said they would retaliate and apparently they didn't. It didn't cross whatever muddy line they had set for cyber interference.

My bet is that if this was in favor of Clinton, it doesn't sit well with most of the left. But since it was in favor of the Trump, seems the voters on the right doesn't care. Nation first is BS. Self first / team first / dam the nation is more like it.

10. Dei

Dei Member

Soviet Union collapsed. Since then, all Russia's been relatively isolationist in terms of global policing and focused on industrializing their country. Prior to Obama and the really take-over by the EU, Russia was going in the same direction as Europe. They've tried to pander to the West, considering their general populace shares largely European values. They even helped in the War on Terror.

This coming from the side who protest democracy when they don't win.

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Alexander Hamilton in Federalist #68 expressing the primary reason for the Electoral College, which formally meets on December 19:

RocketWalta likes this.
  12. SamFisher

[QUOTE="Bandwagoner, post: 10772478, member]You are angry at the car thief who stole a car [/QUOTE]
    Yes.

13. SamFisher

It doesn't really matter what hypothetically another side would have maybe done in an alternate universe.

What happened in this universe, Russia hijacked our election to install it's stooge and most of the GOP is EXPLICITLY fine with that

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't believe the protests are over losing an election. These protests are about sending the message that the stridently authoritarian platform Trump ran on is not acceptable to millions upon millions of Americans. You don't have to agree with them. There are plenty of things people protest over that I don't agree with. But so long as protesters aren't rioting, committing violence, destroying property, etc. I'm perfectly OK with them engaging in it. That goes for the vast majority of these protesters in the last week.

Now, some among them may challenge the legitimacy of our electoral process, as Trump did time and time again. If you really want to criticize that segment on the basis that they are anti-democracy, I hope you're consistent enough to also criticize Trump for the same thing.

Deckard, LonghornFan and JayGoogle like this.
  15. Dei

Dei Member

Yeah... I don't think that's true.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So you believe the protests would be the same if, instead of Donald Trump, it was Jeb Bush or John Kasich who won the election for the Republicans? I sure don't.

17. Granville

Granville Member

cml750 and generalthade_03 like this.
  18. Granville

Granville Member

Sam has come unraveled.

cml750 likes this.
  19. Dei

Dei Member

I agree but Jeb and Kasich are practically lambs they can boss around. They wouldn't be so butthurt, to begin with. But, the point is, no matter how you dislike the election, you recognize that it was done properly and the president-elect is legitimate.

20. SamFisher

Of course I am unraveled.

A Russian dictator just helped install a pro Russian wannabe funky, who is also a damned disgrace of a human being, by all accounts , as President of the United States of America.

This is beyond the pale of acceptable.

This is what tens of millions of Americans, regardless of political affiliation believe.

Deckard likes this.