1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So our offense still looks good

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Dec 29, 2020.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Let's face it, any offense with Harden will be a top 5 offense. That's been the case for the last half decade. The question is how we will do when he's not on the court and how good will our defense be.

I'm assuming that our defense was atrocious because some players were conserving energy. Also Cousins brings some size and Wall is a good defender at the 1.

I'm not worried about our offense at all especially with Wood looking better than expected. However, I'm still worried about our defense because it was a layup drill in Denver. I guess we will see when our top role players join the team. It does bring me optimism that Wall only has to be our 3rd best player for us to be good.

s3ts, Joe Rocket and finsraider like this.
  2. finsraider

finsraider Member

Wall / Gordon
    Harden / McLemore

Wood / Cousins

That is the best offensive playmaking/scoring rotation we’ve ever had. Real potential to keep the offense humming even when Harden and Wood sit.

3. rockbox

For all practical purposes Wall is our backup PG even though he's in the starting line-up. Harden or Wall being bringing up the ball and setting up the offense 100 percent of the game. Gordon will be our backup SG. Ben will be getting minutes at 2 and 3 just to give some people rest or for some instant offense.

finsraider likes this.
  4. ksny15

ksny15 Member

The offense with Harden will always be elite. The defense is going to be bad. Wood is bad defender in the post. He has been lost so many times in just 2 games. He looks great on offense and scores and create a lot of points but he’s going to give up a ton on the other end as well.

BasketMAD and HP3 like this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I still think the defense will be fine. Rockets have too many dawgs on the team (Brown, Tate, Nwaba, PJ, Wall, EG) for the defense to continue to be bad. Silas hasn't had any practice time and he was playing with 9 players. I remain optimistic. It would have been nice to pick up one win though.

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

One of Silas’ most difficult jobs will be to manage egos. In an ideal world Harden and Wall should spend very little time on the court together. Unfortunately, both will require they start and finish. Harden is the best offensive point guard in the league. Wall is a great pg but not a great shooter. Harden, Gordan, Tucker, Wood, and Tate to start. Wall, Cousins, House to lead second unit with Wood, Tucker, Tate or Brown split mins with 2nd unit. Harden and Wood should get at least 32 mins on the court. The rest of the mins would be determined with matchup and who’s hot.

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. The loss of Roco hurt. We definitely need an upgrade at the 3. There is absolutely no reason for keeping Danuel House at this point. We'll see how eric gordon looks as well.

BamBam likes this.
  8. rockbox

I wish we could have dumped Gordon instead of Roco. I still don't know why we gave Gordon the extension that we did.

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

Agree. I think it’s best to think of Gordon as a scoring guard, which is why he and Westbrook never worked. Westbrook was always looking for his shot first...that made Gordon a spot up shooter. In theory, Wall/Gordon should fit better, especially with more ball movement.

McLemore is what really makes me excited about the 2nd unit. We may not be amazing defensively, but Wall/Gordon/McLemore/Nwaba/Cousins is going to absolutely destroy most bench units.

10. dmoneybangbang

Be nice to see what we really have once we get everyone back. Gordon is very underrated on defense and hopefully Cousins can rebound and take advantage of mismatches.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

a 120 offensive rating when on the court, even with all the scrubs

legend

Rocket River, rockbox and HP3 like this.
  12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think the defense will start looking better after not too long, if the team can get healthy. The team needs more practice time and more vets on the floor.

Joe Rocket and HP3 like this.
  13. DooghMaster9

DooghMaster9 Member

Players that will play 60+% of all minutes that will be played has not yet played. Anyone making definitive statements on the D being trash is misguided and really just bring negative.

Silas has had like 5 minutes with the guys that are available. Let’s give him a few weeks with the whole crew.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Defense and Rebounding . . ..

Rocket River

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It looked better without Harden to me. Harden was just waiting for double teams to trap him and trying to throw bounce passes to Wood.

But yes, i agree that it all comes down to defense.

16. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Not going to go anywhere without those two things.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

So, our offense still looks good?

18. xaos

xaos Member

Harden needs to learn how to trust plays that are generated without him starting it. Its almost like Wall has to intentionally play with the ball as if Harden isn't on the court just to get the ball to move.

HP3 likes this.
  19. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Harden a B. That post game interview was pathetic.. reporter asked Harden if he feels like he let down the team over the last year and Harden acts like he didn’t understand the question. Granted it was broken English and had to be repeated, but hell, I’m not Hispanic or anywhere close, and I got what the reporter was asking.

Harden is good, and I’m a huge fan of his, but I’m about done with him to be honest.

20. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member