1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So much for THAT outfield of the future...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Zac D, Nov 14, 2003.

1. edwardc

edwardc Member

One Name sticks out like a sore thumb CURT SCHILLING

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Rusty Staub
    Mike Cuellar
    Joe Morgan

3. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Johan (sp?) Santana

imagine him on the staff w/ owsalt and miller

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm guessing you could go through every team for the last 15 years and find three or four players they traded that ended up being a star of some magnitude. The Astros are not unique in this.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I was speaking of recent history. They simply made trades that turned out badly with those three. The commissioner screwed them royally on the Staub deal when Clendenon refused to come to Houston. Rather than negate the trade he essentially forced Houston to accept lesser players.

Including players in trades does not imply giving up on them as long as the trade appears equal.

I accept they gave up on Schilling because they made a 'change of scenary' trade (Jason Grimsley), but that was well before the current ownership/GM.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What's that the guy in D.C. has said about his worst move ever with the Rangers? Something about swapping Sammy Sosa?

No one is immune -- even us, if we got to be JHun for a day.

7. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Oh, admit it. They made that trade because Drayton McLane is cheap.

8. bobrek

Considering Schilling was traded in 1991 and McLane became owner in late 1992, it's kind of hard to blame him for that.

9. bobrek

Meant to say that Schilling was traded after the 1991 season, well before McLane bought the team.

10. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Hey, everything else that's gone wrong with the team is because Drayton is cheap. This must be one of those things, too.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

He's not cheap. He just has allocated his salary resources oddly, IMO. If he'd ever stop making money the public issue as he has, and as he does, then cheap wouldn't be considered by the public as the public has, the public does.

There will be no benefit required for Drayton McLane for his Astro ownership tenure. None.

12. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

we had him? when?? :confused:

13. DoitDickau

He came up from the astros venzualean program and through the astros minor league system until 2000. they left him off the 40-man roster and he was picked up from the twins. now he's the best young pitcher in the american league:(

14. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Luis Gonzales, but he wasn't so young.

15. DoitDickau

edit: by the twins, not from the twins.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

'stros had him twice, everyone else had him once. Then one day he got the mojo. Joe Hardy, anyone?

17. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

well that is just depressing . . . i never knew that. what a mistake that was for Hunsicker and Purpura to let him go. :(

18. edwardc

edwardc Member

What about guy's like Phil Nevin ,Steve Finley these guy's were still young when they traded them or let them go.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm assuming you didn't mean "required" but "acquired."

if my assumption is correct...how long have you been rooting for the astros?? the drayton mclane era has far and away been the best years of astros baseball...far and away. nothing else even comes close. 4 postseason appearances...and a contender to win the division year in and year out. how many other teams can say that?? plus a beautiful new ballpark.

i remember the days when this team was absolutely a joke. that wasn't so long ago.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

again...none of those guys left in the mclane era.

phil nevin never ever never performed up to expectations. he was the 1st draft pick and he was a bust. he's had some above average years in the latter years of his career...but i don't regret losing phil nevin...particularly since we had caminiti to fill in quite nicely.

steve finley i regretted losing. i liked that guy.