1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So much for THAT outfield of the future...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Zac D, Nov 14, 2003.

1. edwardc

edwardc Member

TRUE it was sarcastic comment but doesn't it make you wonder about the stros. Why give up someone with good speed can hit and come off the bench to pitch run or drop down a bunt .

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

As I've stated before, Hunsicker is a smart guy and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. There has been absolutely nothing that I have seen in Houston media.

3. Timing

Timing Member

Lane was a legitimate prospect 2 years ago! The guy is 27 years old or something. He's Berkman's age and has barely a sniff of MLB playing time. I swear I get annoyed reading people talk about this guy like he's the next big stud in our lineup, the "future" of the team! Argh...

I don't know what Gerry is doing with babying some of these older draftees through our system. By the time they get to triple A they're 25 years old. Waiving Stanley is still bizarre with some of the older scrub players we have laying around. Maybe there was something else going on that we don't know about, some kind of behind the scenes nodding to give him a chance with another organization or something.

4. bobrek

Ensberg is around 1 1/2 years older than Lane. He had his first success in the majors last season after being labelled a "prospect" for a couple of years before that. What makes you think Lane can't take a similar track?

5. Buck Turgidson

Same age as Scott Podsednik.

I've never once heard anyone refer to him as the "future" of anything.

6. Timing

Timing Member

Both of you are arguing the exception to the general rule on prospects and it's a losing argument. Of course any player at any age can finally become a productive player at some point but players who turn 25 begin to lose their prospect status for a reason.

7. bobrek

Unfortunately for Lane, he came into professional baseball at a late age. He was drafted in 1999, so he has only been playing professionally for 4 seasons. More than likely, Lane would have had siginificant playing time last year (once Hidalgo was out), had he not had the abdominal strain. From all indications, Lane will be a productive player. So what if he'll be 27 soon?

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

Give me a chance with another organization yeah right once again i have to ? this move another young player let go .

9. rockets688

rockets688 Member

The reason Lane didn't play for so long is simple - we had an outfield that worked. Don't fix something if its not broken. The End.

10. edwardc

edwardc Member

It had to be broken thet traded D Ward to change the outfield that worked . If he's such a big prospect why not bring him in after the Ward trade.

11. Buck Turgidson

Some guy named Jeff Kent had a little to do with that.

12. edwardc

edwardc Member

yeah what about a bench spot . The stros were trying to put a second basemen on first.GH *ucked up and let go a good firstbaseman because he was a threat to someone who has been around for awhile.

13. bobrek

Are you talking about Daryle Ward? The same Daryle Ward that had 20 hits in 109 ABs last year with the Dodgers? His one double kept his slugging percentage from being the exact same as his batting average. The same Daryle Ward who struck out 19 times inthose 109 ABS with only 3 walks? Daryle Ward was supposed to be such an offensive threat, but the Dodgers who finished in dead last place in the major leagues in runs scored and next to the last in team average, sent him to the minors. He could not even make it on the worst offensive team in the major leagues.

Or are you talking about someone else?

14. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Ummm...nothing.

15. edwardc

edwardc Member

Yes i would be talking about DW he had 1 bad year with the astros and they shipped him off .As For the year with the doggers you can't blame him for a team that just flat out sucked.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

But you can blame him for the crappy year he had.

17. bobrek

Ward actually never had any "bad' years with the Astros, just a few average years and one disappointing one when he was handed the starting LF job and did not put up the power numbers expected of him.

The only mistake Hunsicker made (in hindsight) was not trading him a year or two earlier.

At this point in his career (even prior to last season), it would be hard to classify Daryle Ward as a "good" first baseman since, prior to 2003, he had only started 11 games at 1B in the majors.

He's still relatively young. Perhaps he'll turn it around and have the career that was expected of him. I believe he is a free agent, so I suspect he'll give the AL a try.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the team (dodgers) sucked...and he STILL wasn't good enough to stay on it. they shipped him off to double-A ball. dude never performed. he never came close to his potential. at some point, that's no one's fault but his own.

19. edwardc

edwardc Member

Yeah he did have a crappy year but he's not the first nor will he be the last .The stros have a habit of giving up on some young players to soon.

20. bobrek

Aside from Ward, who have they given up on too soon? They made what turned out to be a bad trade a number of years ago when they traded Lofton for Taubensee, but they didn't give up on him.

They traded Garcia and Guillen, but they didn't give up on them.

Aside from Abreu, who they left unprotected in the expansion draft a few years ago, I can't think of any young players they simply let go of for no reason. They may have made some poor trade decisions, but who is there they have simply released that has had some stellar years?