1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So much for THAT outfield of the future...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Zac D, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

November 14, 2003

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- The San Diego Padres claimed outfielder Henri Stanley off waivers from the Houston Astros and added him to their 40-man roster.

Stanley played at Triple-A New Orleans last season. He hit .292 with 11 home runs, 48 RBIs and 15 stolen bases.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-padres-stanley&prov=ap&type=lgns

I hope he plays a lot for them next year. I'm interested to see how Henri will do at the major league level.

2. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Rotoworld's analysis of this transaction...

Unbelievable. The Astros don't generate so much talent that they can just give it away like this. Because he's always been a little old for his levels and he doesn't look great in a uniform, Stanley has never been viewed as a top prospect. However, he has a minor league OPS of just under 900. The 25-year-old for Clemson Tiger hit .292 with 11 HR, 48 RBI, 93/60 K/BB and 15 SB in 506 AB while playing half his games in one of Triple-A's best parks for pitchers last season. He could be a decent regular in the majors, but since the Padres don't currently have any room for him, he'll probably return to Triple-A next year.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What the hell was the reason for putting him on waivers?

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'm not sure if he was on their 40 man roster, but if so, perhaps they were clearing a spot.

5. stubbyc

stubbyc Member

They could have cleared up space elsewhere. They could have dumped someone like Bland or Puffer to clear up room. Instead they got rid of a guy who could be a very good outfielder someday for nothing.

6. Timing

Timing Member

Wow, that's surprising.

7. edwardc

edwardc Member

I agree that the same *hit as before everytime there is a player that can move the so called team leaders there's a trade or the player get put on waivers.:mad: :mad: :mad:

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

what's mroe troubling is that if he truly was something of a prospect, he could have actually been saved for trade bait...

9. edwardc

edwardc Member

why trade him put him in biggio's spot and use he's talents to make the team better.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't disagree. I'm just saying why give him up for absolutely nothing at all, if giving him up is what you decide to do??

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

Why didn't they waive Colin Porter or Jason Lane :mad: :mad:

12. Buck Turgidson

Don't understand this move yet, and haven't heard the justification by the front office, but hopefully you're not insinuating what I think you are.

Waive Jason Lane? Whatever.

13. bobrek

Hunsicker is a pretty smart guy (at least smarter than any of us with respect to the team). I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

14. stubbyc

stubbyc Member

Waive Jason Lane are you crazy? This guy is our future in the outfield and could put up huge numbers if given an everyday spot.

Colin Porter maybe, but not Jason Lane.

They should have gotten rid of Bland or Puffer instead.

15. stubbyc

stubbyc Member

They are going to probably put Lane in Biggio's spot instead.

16. edwardc

edwardc Member

What are you assuming that i am Insinuating

17. edwardc

edwardc Member

How do you know that Stanley wouldn't have put up huge numbers. He wasn't givin the chance .

18. bobrek

Why did you ask why didn't they waive Jason Lane? Lane has been very productive in the majors when he has had the chance. He is also highly regarded around the entire major leagues as a legitimate prospect, and would have been with the Astros the majority of last season had he not been injured yet you asked why they didn't waive him. If they felt they had to waive someone, why would you want them to waive Lane over Stanley?

19. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

It was a sarcastic ?

20. bobrek

Perhaps, but I'll wait for edwardc's response.