1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So I got assaulted today

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gatsby, Feb 23, 2019.

1. gatsby

gatsby Member

My wife and I were walking to the Whole Foods in our neighborhood (we live in Manhattan). We do the same trip every Saturday morning...

As we were across the street from WF, I saw a guy ahead who seemed to be bothering a father with a child.

The guy looked a bit ragged and sadly mentally unstable people are all too common here.

I moved so my wife was to the right of me (furthest away from him) as we were going to walk by him.

As we walked towards, I didn't say anything or look at him, but the moment we had passed him, bam — he turned back and hit the back of my head. It knocked me down to the ground.

I told my wife to run into Whole Foods and she did. The guy came after me but I outran him down the street so he was away from my wife.

I called NYPD and they came with a few vehicles. They took a report and then started searching the area for him to arrest him for assault. They said I should expect a call in the next day.

It's really shaken me up. No words said, no look, nothing. Just a straight haymaker at me entirely unprovoked.

My wife took a photo of the guy as he left.

Attached Files:

conquistador#11 and KingCheetah like this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Glad you & your wife are ok man.

3. jacoby

jacoby Member

I tell my mother and sisters to always carry pepper spray and never make eye contact on the subways with other people (We also live in NYC).

It's sad that it's come to that, but on more than one occasion I've locked eyes with someone on the train or bus and they wanted to start a fight. At least tomorrow I start jiu jitsu class so I'll be able to beat their asses if I have to.

Stay safe man. Tell your wife to protect herself.

gatsby likes this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That sucks man.

I know it seems counterintuitive to instincts, but if your ever in a similar situation again, DON'T take your eyes off the guy, you need to able to see exactly what he's doing.

Luckily it was just a punch, but if he had a knife that could have been you or your wife's life, it's better to keep your eye on the person in order to be able to defend yourself or run sooner.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

glad you're ok breh. so no one around helped you out, or that poor father/child? or is that just part of new york life where no one cares?

deb4rockets likes this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That sucks! I'm glad you and your wife weren't hurt worse. It sounds like you did the right thing after you were attacked to make sure your wife was safe. That's good. I really hope more is done to address the mental health issues facing those who don't have the financial means to see it out themselves.

deb4rockets likes this.
  7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Always be wary of homeless people on the street. Its sad to say and kinda prejudiced but these people have nothing to lose are likely mentally unstable and probably harness some sort of grudge or base level jealously against regular members of society.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That is intense - it's always when you least expect it.

9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Glad that you and your wife are okay @gatsby!

I wholeheartedly agree with @ThatBoyNick about never taking your eyes off the person who seems suspicious. Your instincts had already kicked in and gave you a sign/feeling that something wasn’t right, that’s the reason you placed your wife farthest from harms way! The only thing that might have helped you (speaking in hindsight) would’ve been to walk completely around him at a safe distance while keeping your eyes on him.

I hope they catch the perp, not only for your peace of mind, but for the welfare of everyone else who might come in contact with him!

Kudos for trying to protect your wife!! You’d be surprised how many cowards are in this world who wouldn’t have done what you did.

Two Sandwiches, gatsby and CCity Zero like this.
  10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Really glad you and your wife are okay, that’s a scary thing. You never know what can happen.

You could never tell, but I’m a bit paranoid when I’m out and about. I’m constantly watching people to make sure I catch something before it happens. It’s no way to be all the time, but I’d rather be safe than sorry. I’m also ALWAYS prepared, I’ll just leave it at that.

I genuinely like and trust people in general, but it’s that one person or one scenario that I always feel is possible. I guess it’s the world we live in unfortunately.

Don’t let it affect you guys too much. Live your life as you always do, but stay aware and stay clear of anything you feel may be a bit off. You felt it the other day so your instincts were on point. Feel something like that again and head toward the other side of the street. Don’t take any chances.

11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Why didn't you at least give him a few knocks?

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'd have hit back...I think. Anyway, glad you are ok.

13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I recommend a medium sized pocket knife with a pocket hook on it (not a switchblade but it opens as you pull). Personally it comes in use as a tool all the time but it’s not why it’s carried. Don’t remember the model but mine is a spyderco, bought about a decade ago and the thing is still going strong. Good on ya for protecting the lady.

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Wow... that's crazy. Glad to hear you are OK, @gatsby.

gatsby likes this.
  15. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'm glad the guy wasn't violent enough (or maybe didn't have the wherewithal) to get on top of you after he knocked you down.

Stay safe.

16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Random question: what color was your hat?

Seriously though, glad you and yours are ok.

17. Buck Turgidson

This is a great post.

And damn, man, glad you and yours are alright. Hope they catch the guy.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Take care, @gatsby, and thanks for sharing this scary event. I'm glad you weren't more seriously hurt and that your wife escaped the violence.

FWIW folks, the law enforcement folks I know say a little eye contact is, on average, a good bet for warding off random attacks or muggings. I know that has always seemed counter-intuitive to me. It probably really depends on the weirdo one is dealing with on any given day on any given street corner.

deb4rockets, gatsby and CCity Zero like this.
  19. gatsby

gatsby Member

Thanks all.

There's lots of differing thoughts here: some experts say you should make at least some eye contact while others say avoid it entirely. My wife and sister took a self-defense class a few years ago so I felt at least somewhat comfortable.

The knife part scares me given I watched a stabbing happen literally right next to me about 6 months ago on the subway 4/5 line between Brooklyn Bridge and Union Square... started going to therapy because of it. This doesn't help.

I don't think it's that no one cares, but pretty much universally everyone understands that by intervening — especially given the mentally unstable and homeless here — you're very likely to get injured or worse. It's a sad situation all around.

Same. Anyone who hits a random stranger without any reason clearly is facing some mental issues.

I struggle here: we often buy food/water for the homeless in our neighborhood... (kinda the "Not in our neighborhood" concept). We've found most to be friendly, appreciative, etc. and many truly have had bad circumstances. But I think the reality is that homeless probably falls into three buckets: 1) bad luck, trying to get back on feet, 2) don't want help/prefer homeless way of life or 3) mental issues.

Thanks BamBam. Unfortunately the sidewalk wasn't very wide there, so it was either pass there or walk to the other side of the street. The disappointing thing is that, as the guy was black and we're white, we've been very cognizant how walking to the other side of the street may make people feel so we intentionally never do.... clearly a mistake in this case.

I'm not exactly a pacifist, but if there's any other way besides fighting, I'll choose that first. Running was the safer alternative.

Maybe... I'd easily physically defend my wife or sister. Once it was clear my wife was safe as she started running into Whole Foods, the situation wouldn't benefit from me hitting back other than assuaging a "macho ego" complex.

Thanks Clutch!

Same. I'm not sure what (if any) his goal really was.

Interestingly, I always wear an Astros or Royals (my wife's team that we watch beat the Mets in the WS a few years ago) hat when running errands. We'll get some nice words or sometimes some joking "go home" words, but it's always been in good fun. For some reason I didn't wear a hat this weekend.

Unbelievably lucky given everything.

Kim, B-Bob and BamBam like this.
  20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, always beware of the crazies. Hope they catch him.