1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Smeg, Can You Explain This One?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DREAMer, Jul 24, 2001.

1. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Umm, no we (and by 'we' I mean all democratic countries, and hell, humans in general) don't need laws to protect people too stupid to protect themselves.

------------------
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Can you say "Darwin Awards"?

------------------
    "For there is nothing either good or bad, thinking makes it so."
    - William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Hamlet

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

If you try to stop idiocy, they'll just make a better idiot . . .

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Agreed except for the children element. It is one thing to subject yourself to a ridiculous, life-threatening act. It is another altogether to do it to your child who cannot protect him/herself. That one guy who took his kid out there is the biggest idiot of the bunch!!!

------------------
    Who's your buddy? Who's your pal? I am, aren't I?

5. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

What is the big deal? The other day I was standing on top a dead Elephant playing fetch with a bengal tiger. I had an uncle who used to stand on dead grizzlies and feed bobcats.

------------------
    Now this shirt is chafing me

6. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

7. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Aw [​IMG]HAw!

------------------
    This space left intentionally blank...

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

No explaination Jeff

Too Many clowns from my town and plenty more are visiting, hopefully they continue the behaviour and someone falls in the water, if everyone loves watching great whites chomp on a dead whales imagine the excitement of watching them tear apart of a live human.

Maybe I'll email Dubya and see if we can set up some even by a shark program instead of the electric chair.

Two sides (and more important) notes
    1. Apparently this is the 5th whale to die in the last 2 weeks on the south australian coast, which is rather bizarre and disturbing.
    2. Australia's attempt to establish a whale sanctuary was this morning voted down, apparently Japan bought the votes of a few small caribbean nations. Damn you Japan, how much scientific research do you have to do on whales [​IMG]

Smeg

PS trying to find you guys some pics

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

9. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Channel 13 just had video of the whale, sharks and idiots.

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.
    Start more Dream threads!

10. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

QUESTION:
    Given the chance, how many of you would stand on a dead whale to watch sharks feed?

I mean we watch nature shows with Lions and other big cats killing and eating other animals. Also, some shows follow hyenas, who scavenge the kills of other predators. I've even seen a show on vultures. So, how is watching sharks any different?

You might say you don't get to stand in the middle of the other examples. But, I say that's because you don't have the opportunity.

Now, I am not for any human mutilation of the dead whales, don't get me wrong. But, why complain about someone doing something that isn't hurting anyone or anything? As long as people aren't killing whales on purpose just to stand on them, and as long as people aren't standing there shooting or otherwise killing the sharks, then what's the harm?

Jeff, I do see your point about the child. But, who knows, that kid may grow up to be the next Jacques Cousteau. (If he lives. [​IMG] )

------------------
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

HA HA HA HA!!!!

------------------

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Why do I get the feeling that at least some of the dorks out there had to be from the good ol' US of A? [​IMG]

------------------

13. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

I don't have all the facts, but I'd wager that somehow beer was involved.

------------------
    The time for logic and reason has come and gone.

It's homer time now. Believe.

14. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

apparently two of the guys that reached over their boat and grabbed the sharks snout as it was feeding had a cousin who was killed by a shark a few years ago......biazzreee

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

15. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

*Sound of crickets in the background*

[​IMG]

I don't think so. There's a fine line betweent being an adventure-seeking explorer and an idiot. In some sort of controlled environment (or at least as controlled as possible) MAYBE. But 'hey look! Sharks! Let's get closer.' is just sad.

And 'come on, son! This'll be fun!' is even worse...

------------------
    "Do you know what nemesis means? 'A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent'. Personified, in this case, by a horrible c***: ME."
    - Brick Top, Snatch

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Shark Patting by Sightseers May Prompt Whale Ban

ADELAIDE (Reuters) - Authorities in Australia might ban people going near dead whales in the sea after sightseers climbed onto one and patted great white sharks as they tore chunks of flesh from the animal's carcass.

``These creatures are not toys,'' an angry South Australian Environment Minister Iain Evans said after television showed one man standing on a dead whale's back off the coast of Adelaide and other people patting the snouts of circling sharks.

Media reported another man had climbed onto the whale's back holding a young child as hundreds of people in boats flocked in a sightseeing frenzy to watch the sharks feed.

``In the case of the great white, they can be extremely dangerous and it is clear the state government will need to look at changing the law in order to protect people too stupid to protect themselves,'' Evans said.

The minister said people were banned under environmental protection laws from approaching within 330 feet of a live whale in the water.

``I will now ask the department to...look at exclusion zones for dead whales,'' he said.

Marine officials said they believed the whale died from natural causes.

------------------