1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Small Business Optimism at Highest Level Ever

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman1981, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/11/small-business-optimism-surges-to-highest-ever.html

As an investor in smaller businesses, we have directly seen the change in governmental policy and attitudes by regulators making it easier to expand operations, reduce wasted money on consultants and lawyers and focus on the customer and the products.

Glad to see others are seeing this as well.

This is tremendous for Americans, entrepreneurs and the world.

cml750 likes this.
  2. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Guess the people here only like news about p*rn stars, drama about quotes and Washington nonsense.

Americans care about jobs, the economy and small business is the lifeblood of that.

If the economy stays on this pace. Trump will win again!

Astrodome and cml750 like this.
  3. biff17

biff17 Member

so why do his poll numbers keep dropping?

and he will lose to a credible Republican candidate who can run on the economy and embarrass the party

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My interests are only partially aligned with the interests of small business. I own a small business, and I know what a pain in the ass jumping through hoops is (though I've seen no deregulation benefit for us so far). I am interested to the extent that small businesses can avoid wasting money on stupid regulatory bs, serve the customer, grow and yield cashflows, and employ people. But some of the regulatory bs serves to stop businesses, including small businesses from doing bad things that hurt my personal interest as a consumer or a citizen. So, not all deregulation is good. Smart regulation is good. The small business has a different lens because smart regulation can be as burdensome as pointless regulation. So, I don't see any particularly good reason I should be happy because small businesses are happy. They might grow as a result, but I might lose valuable protections in the process.

The other thing I think is not very useful is measuring 'optimism.' Optimism is informed somewhat by run-rate, but also colored by expectations built on your political disposition. If you have a population overweight in Republicans who lament the evils of overregulation, electing a Republican government saying they will deregulate is an immediate boost to your optimism before any particulars are identified, any actions taken, or any results are realized. They assume the deregulation will reach their industry. They assume deregulation will help their bottom line. They assume sparring with China will not turn into a trade war that will sink us all into a severe global depression. But they don't know any of these things.

JayGoogle, weakfromtoday and foh like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

This is an interesting finding.

His approval rating is below 40% but "small business" optimism is at an all time low.

I'm not sure how that small business optimism will figure into the 2020 election.

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

As a small business owner in Houston, our costs have gone up due to tariffs. So...yeah not really optimistic. But go Dotard! :rolleyes:

Nook and No Worries like this.
  7. foh

foh Member

Your comment makes me think of this vox article I read today, that had the following quote in it:

"Similarly, perceptions of economic change were filtered through broader views about Obama and the country: the political scientist Michael Tesler found that the most racially resentful Americans were the most economically pessimistic before the 2016 election and the most economically optimistic after it."

Could it be that majority of small business owners polled were in the Trump supporter pool? It doesn't seem unlikely to me. The graph clearly indicates that it could be politics related - a HUGE upshot in this sentiment happened right after Trump is elected. Since then it has inched higher only slightly.

Deregulation has economic benefits but they come at the expense of social benefits. They may have benefited from the tax cut too, which is paid for by a deficit/debt, so could be very temporary and not something to be super excited about. That tax cut was a distasteful give away to the rich causing a bigger class divide in an already pretty divided america.

8. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

So small business owners are racist? C'mon.

Deregulation HELPS those at the bottom more than the top. When you have a regulated bureaucratic and difficult system to manage it allows those in power to STAY in power. They have the lawyers, the connections etc. to keep competition out through government pressure.

Think of the silly laws in New Jersey in which African-American girls that have been braiding hair since they were 5 years old are required to go to beauty school and spend $10,000+ dollars on 70 hours of training. Is this to safeguard people?? Was it someone who got their hair braided incorrectly going to the state to create a fuss?? No.. it was the competition, the entrenched, those in power that use government regulation and power to protect their turf and limit competition to themselves.

So now these girls that could have been young African american entrepreneurs starting a small business are either getting in debt, wasting years or running an illegal business all due to the onerous power of regulatory overreach and its supreme benefit to the big people in power.

These feel good and 'safety' policies hit the poorest and like gravity pushes down the aspiring entrepreneur to the benefit of the bureaucrat and those in power.

ipaman likes this.
  9. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

If you are not on a net net basis succeeding in this economy and benefiting from the Trump measures across the board I would look at myself
    in the mirror and not blame anyone else.

Tariffs are a silly political tool, something i don't agree with and do have an asymmetrical affect on certain industries and companies, but we have
    had unfair trade agreements due to weak bureaucrats managing this and now we have to show some spine in order to push other countries to create fairer deals across the board.

10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

im a small business owner and my industry has been hurt by comrade trumps tariffs - costs of materials have skyrocketed. and guess what...those costs are passed onto the consumer.

of course, things are rolling right now - but there is definitely nervousness in the air - everyone is anticipating a slow-down if not outright recession by next year.

No Worries likes this.
  11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I've been "succeeding" for over two decades now thanks. Does that mean credit goes to Bush and Barrack? Not really. I have not see any net benefit from Dotard. Not did I expect to. Our prices on some manufactured products have gone up due directly to the tariffs though. So thanks for playing.

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

As an independent consultant, I've seen my clients budgets increased and approved in same cases where there had been delays. Not sure if this is direct impact or coincidental but I'm potentially looking at a record 4th quarter.

Exiled likes this.
  13. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Are you set up as a C-Corp or an S-Corp? The tax cut was meant to benefit those that employ and spend on machinery equipment
    allowing rapid depreciation.

it was not focused to help S-corp sole proprietors that don't employ or have capital expenditures like a doctors office, a law office,
    an import-export business etc.

What kind of business is it as i'm genuinely curious why one would not be better off from the policies??

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'm LLC but many of my clients are Corp and S-Corp which is why I'm getting more consulting business perhaps. So it can help non-corps as well depending on clients.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Are these the sorts of regulations Trump has been knocking down? No. State and municipal regulations are what affect micro-businesses like hair salons. And, imo, they aren't doing the hair-braiders any disservice with it either. These businesses take normal profits, enough to hopefully pay for the operation of the business and leave enough left over for the owner to have a middle class life. They essentially made a job for themselves. The barriers to entry into that kind of business, though, is very low and if every woman who has been braiding hair since she was 5 jumped in, the competition would be so much that no one would have profits left over.

Those aren't the regulations the Admin is addressing. He's addressing the big federal rules that impact the big corporations. The big corporations don't just eek out enough cash for middle class living. They generate abnormal profits that make their owners millionaires and billionaires. They are the engine of the 1%. The most recent news was that the EPA would roll back regulations on methane emissions. It's supposed to save the oil companies a half-billion a year on compliance costs. Is some African-American woman who has been braiding hair since she was 5 going to get in the E&P business now because the compliance requirements have been lowered? No, it's the same super-majors who will distribute those savings to their 1%er shareholders. They get richer and I get more methane in my atmosphere.

And yes, btw, there are small E&P entrepreneurs. They buy a stake, try to produce, and hope the price of oil doesn't tank. If it works, they'll be 1%ers. But who are these E&P entrepreneurs? They went to good schools, they've worked in the industry awhile already, making 6 figures, and feel they know enough to open their own, they have family money or have other access to capital. They aren't on the bottom either. They might not be the bigshots that Exxon is, but they aren't anywhere close to the bottom. I think your deregulation narrative is a fairy tale.

Rocket River and superfob like this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

How would federal deregulation help with your example?

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You waited half an hour from op before blowing your load to whine.

Good for you. You get a gold star.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Our businesses are doing well but it isn’t due to anything Trump has done. Most regulations that small business owners run into are not federal level ones.

Nook and dmoneybangbang like this.
  19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

So it just reached the level it was just a couple of years before the Great Recession!

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Regulation can also be helpful to a small business. I'm a CPA, have strict licensing requirements, but my primary revenue is from tax preparation. There really aren't any limits on who can prepare tax returns, and I'm so sick of seeing so many preparers who have no understanding of tax law out there preparing returns. Some willfully preparing fraudulent returns. I'd welcome a little more regulation.

FranchiseBlade and JuanValdez like this.