1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Six teens drown trying to save each other

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DarkHorse, Aug 3, 2010.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

This story is 95% horrible tragedy, and 5% SNL style comedy. I can't even imagine watching 6 people drown in front of my eyes, but i'm still trying to wrap my head around each of them jumping in one by one to try to save the others, and none of them knowing how to swim.

Thoughts go out to the families affected.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38533071/ns/us_news-life

2. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

how is that comedy?

3. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

wow..... what are kids doing that DON'T KNOW HOW TO SWIM doing around water like that??

I guess that isn't as dangerous as some things teens do nowadays.

RIP and prayers for the affected families.

4. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Exactly. How silly of both the kids (who were old enough to know better) and the parents who ignored it. Just...dumb.

5. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Knowing how to swim is a basic life skill that everyone should know. Especially if you are going to use natural waterways as entertainment. As this case shows, even if the area is shallow, river beds shift and change, and a deep sinkhole that wasn't there before can be. Not to mention that you often can't see the changes in the river or lake bottom.

7. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

Agreed. I really have a hard time understanding why certain people cannot swim.

I mean, is it really that difficult? If I was never taught to swim, I still think I would be able to tread water by using common sense.......at least until help arrived. And if I had no clue how to maneuver in water, I would not be near any water.

This story is sad. Survival of the fittest I guess.....

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

9. VanityHalfBlack

very very tragic...

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

It is a sad truth that many people in black communities do not know how to swim, my father does not and none of his 9 brothers and sisters know how to either. They were always told to stay away from the water even though they grew up less than half a mile from a lake and stream. Real Sports even did a piece on this several months ago.

Luckily, my parents put me in swim lessons at a very young age. I plan to do the same with my daughter as well.

As for this being funny, I don't see that at all. They were young kids who although not knowing how to swim probably panicked in the heat of the moment and tried to do everything they could to save a loved one.

11. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

This is very sad, I mean they were all trying to help each other but died in the process......

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

What the hell where the other kids (who weren't the first guy who drowned) thinking? After the 2nd person jumped into the hole then ended up drowning himself you'd think the 3rd, 4rth, 5th and 6th kid would have known better. Its not rocket science, if you don't know how to swim why the hell would you try to help someone else?! The only one with enough sense NOT to drown was the 38 year old, and apparently all she did was stand there and watch them drown. If she had gone out to get help instead maybe it wouldn't have taken the rescuers 10 mins to find the sinkhole. I personally didn't find it comical, but all this could have been avoided if any of the 7 people involved had used common sense.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

All 6 of them? C'mon now....although technically young, most of them were teenagers and already knew what they were doing.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I don't get how a sink hole could cause someone to drown.

Does it have an undercurrent to it or something?

Even not knowing how to swim, one would still know how to stay buoyant, right?

I've heard of instances in very fast moving waterways, especially near a small waterfall, where multiple people have drowned trying to save each other, but a small quiet riverbed?

I grew up near a creek in East Texas and it seems like once a month a kid would drown out there, it always seemed so improbable in such calm water... but then again, I don't *not* know how to swim, so I can't put myself in those shoes.

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I will say, that put in situations where a family member or friend is in mortal danger, all common sense usually flies out the window. If your brother, sister, wife, husband, daughter, son, etc was drowning and you didn't know how to swim, I bet a bunch of you would hurl yourself to their rescue even if you thought you might not survive. You can't blame each subsequent person for trying to help in the heat of the situation. The tragic part is the fact that they were all unprepared for the environment in which they were socializing.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

RIP kids. My friend's bf died the same way, trying to save some guy and both drowned.

Totally unrelated: As a dumb little kid, I've come close to drowning several times for no apparent reason. I just jumped in repeatedly and never learned my lesson. Luckily I've always had some stranger pull me out just in time. Eat that survival of the fittest!

I've learned how to swim since then (breaststroke) though and have developed a little fear of deep waters.

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

In there defense, i could only imagine that when someone yelled help, they felt compelled to do something rather than sit on the sidelines...it's instict, but unfortunately, they didn't know how to swim, so its even more tragic...

RIP...

18. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Again, in the heat of the moment you lose your train of thought. I saw this myself personally a few weeks ago when my girlfriend, who is CPR/Heimlich maneuver trained for her job, just lost her train of thought when our daughter was choking on a piece of food and turning colors right there in front of us. Luckily, she regained it and dislodged the food but still she wasn't as composed as even she thought she would be in that type of situation.

I guess it is hilarious when people jump in front of bullets to save others too....hahaha he thought his body could stop that bullet.....or when people fight off wildlife to protect others.....hahahaha he thought he was stronger than a bear. This situation is no different than any of those and I don't think anybody would be laughing if one of those situations were posted.

1 person likes this.
  19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

6 teenagers and 1 adult, and none of them could swim? :confused:

And they go to a river?

I haven't met that many people that can't swim.

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Common sense doesn't apply to this situation. It's a survival situation and survival instincts kick in. Things you might think a person should or would do never happen. There is no time to even think about what to do. It's just one big panic and struggle to keep the head above water to breathe. The different parts of the body are all reacting in their own way to this survival situation. The arms, instead of trying to paddle to stay afloat, are typically out horizontally and the person is trying to push themselves up out of the water by pushing down on the water. The legs are likely completely useless as well in this situation as they don't know the concept of kicking to propel themselves and keep afloat. I would guess the leg kicking would amount to flailing. The victim tends to hold their breath as long as they can in this situation...to prevent water from coming in. But, they are swallowing water when they try to breathe. The level of oxygen in the blood decreases and consciousness is lost. The whole thing is generally over in less than 30 seconds.

2 people like this.