1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Simple Stats] Three Point Shooting of the Core Five

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yixiixiy, Mar 3, 2017.

1. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Did some basic data crunching on the number of 3pt made by the core-five:

Harden (H), Anderson (A), Gordon (G), Ariza (Z) and Beverly (B)

A few simple results based on this empirical data

- Of the 62 games so far, HAGZB accounted for an average of 12.8 out of an average of 14.7 made threes per game (87%).

- Assuming the 62 games are identical and independent samples (which clearly they are not), HAGZB will make > x in total threes with y probability:

x y
    12 59.23%
    15 30.12%
    18 9.86%

- The made threes have the following correlation matrix:

H Z A G B
    H 100% 1.5% -6.8% 9.4% 8.6%
    Z 1.5% 100% -1.5% 4.3% 5.8%
    A -6.8% -1.5% 100% -12.0% 0.8%
    G 9.4% 4.3% -12.0% 100% 13.8%
    B 8.6% 5.8% 0.8% 13.8% 100%

It's interesting how Ariza's threes are either uncorrelated or negatively correlated with the rest of the HAGZB. Note that the higher the correlation among the made threes, the higher (in general) the probability of large total made threes (but also the higher the probability of small number of made threes). If our goal is to maximize the total number of threes made, we might want to explore the option of avoiding playing G and A for too long.

* Not adding Lou Williams due to small sample of games played with the others.

Ramo$e, Houstunna, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  2. No Chill Rocket

Simple ? Where the pictures . My head hurts

Hakeemtheking and BigShasta like this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Where is @JCDenton when you need a graph.

4. CapelaOnlyFan

CapelaOnlyFan Member

I'm too dumb to understand what this means

snowconeman22 likes this.
  5. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

But but i thought asians are good with math, or is that another stereotype.
    Arent all Clutchfans members mostly asians? ;)

6. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

So can you extrapolate what percentage of games they should win by the percentage of threes they should make?

I would but have to leave my PC for a bit.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Too many Maury wannaBEs and fake statisticians here

If it aint graphed or tabulated, it's grain of salt

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Thanks for doing this. The matrix is fun to see. Did you plot each box score 3s per player made to create that?

You mean Anderson, not Z, right? I have noticed that. Ryno is either the only hot shooter in a game, and conversely the only cold one.
    And this folks is why you don't let math geeks tell coaches who to play. I admit that -12 correlation is extremely interesting, but it doesn't mean don't play them together. Lulz

For those following along at home, a negative correlation means when Anderson is hot, Gordon is not.

What it can also mean is the defense is picking its poison, which can't happen unless they both play together, assuming they are playing together all the time, which of course they aren't. Or because Gordon doesn't start, it can also mean the opponents are either better at defending our starter #1 option (Ryno) or our bench #1 option, but not both.

And I think the high correlation of Gordon and Bev being hot together is equally interesting. But I'll leave others to suggest reasons.

#8 heypartner, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  9. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Cool to look at.

Doesn't mean much at all. You can't draw a single conclusion from that aside from Anderson being hot when others are not as @heypartner mentioned.

All of those correlations, both negative and positive, are fairly close to 0. Hence, no real correlation at all.

10. CapelaOnlyFan

CapelaOnlyFan Member

I woke up black today, sorry to disappoint

11. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Meanwhile D-MO shot 7.7% since Feb 1st somewhere else. 1 made, 13 attempts. That's much worse than Brew. Who was sad Morey got rid of him?

12. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Sorry I didn't want to bump a dmo post :)

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

What you should do for fun is create a multivariate model to see whose threes best predict winning. Initially it would imply setting cutoffs for each guy, maybe their median threes per game, so you can generate dichotomous variables for each. If you wanna go further, make a linear regression model for each player to see what each incremental three does to our winning pct.

Aside from James, my guess is Ryan Anderson might also have a good correlation to winning. When his shot is on it's hard to beat us.

don grahamleone likes this.
  14. OTMax

OTMax Member

Do some stats for Lou, Gordon, Bev, Harden & Ariza & Anderson about their best spots on the floor from 3pt land, how they get their shots (off of 1 pass, 2 or straight chucking) and their distance. Then maybe we can send it to the coaches and up our %. We should be way better than we are, which is scary, but I'm sure mainly Harden, Ariza & Gordon can be more effective. Harden less off the dribble, Ariza more from the corner and his best spots & Gordon closer to the line. Anderson can hit from far out, miss as well, but he's still around 41% while Gordon is 38%. Would also be interesting to know if Lou can hit a shot from further beyond the line.

15. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

imagine if we replaced Ariza with Paul George.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Or Eric Gordon with Lebron James!

17. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

I just created a matrix of these 5 players' made 3s and ran the analysis on that.

Yep, sorry my bad.

For those who crave for tables / graphs, I finally figured out how to upload images. A follow-up on some of the numbers, all regarding

- the average # threes made by each of the five
    - standard deviation of those made 3s, the larger this number with regard to the average, the less stable the shooter is (but the more variance his made threes is, and therefore the more likelihood he makes a lot of them in a game.)

1) Home vs Away

[​IMG]

Anderson is the odd-ball here, getting exited on the road like no other people's business. Ariza apparently doesn't care if it's home or road. Ego and Harden are more home boys.

2) V.S. Top 10 teams or not.

Top 10 are CLE, GSW, SAS, MEM, TOR, WAS, BOS, LAC, UTA and OKC

[​IMG]

Harden makes 50% fewer when playing those guys. (It's somewhat consistent with another table I saw recently that shows he basically spends more time passing the balls when playing top opponents, with more assists than usual.)

All have deteriorating 3 performance when playing tough teams, EXCEPT for our odd-ball Anderson whose 3pts are basically non-distinguishable against when playing weaker teams.

3) Win and Loss

[​IMG]

I have no idea how Anderson's mentality works.

I will try to address other questions and comments later.

18. valorita

valorita Member

Simply put:

1) The Rockets have 6 capable shooters in their rotation.

2) if any two of them go "off" in a game, then they have a chance to win.

If three of them shoot well, then they will likely win

If 4+ shoot well, they can compete with golden state

The frequency of who goes off depends on how good of a shooter they are.

Ex: Gordon 1 of every 2.5 games
    Anderson 1 of 3
    Williams 1 of 3
    Ariza 1 of 5
    Bev 1 of 4.5
    Harden 1 of 4

Combine those percentages and you have the basis of today's Rockets offensive philosophy

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I worded my question poorly. By matrix you mean one axis is the player, the other axis is list of games and the column per game is 3s made?

20. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Yes that's correct. Used this for the mean/std and correlation analysis.

heypartner likes this.