1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sign-n-Trade question

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SWTsig, Feb 21, 2010.

1. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i looked briefly around for this topic and know somebody mentioned this in a thread but couldn't find it so feel free to lock if necessary, but....

i think everyone here is cognizant that morey will in one way or another pursue a top-flight player this summer, particularly bosh or amare. my question revolves around the scenarios that are acceptable under league rules, i.e. can a SnT include more than one signed player? everyone here seems to be of the assumption that if we trade for bosh we'd include scola (which makes sense) in the package, but is that even allowed? scola would have to be resigned by us as well and i was under the impression that a SnT could only include one signed player. and if that is correct, would involving a third team allow it?

first person to answer this wins a coke.

2. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

3. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

First of all, Cuban's "trade rules" are either completely outdated (the 115% difference in salaries for trade purposes was the rule under the old CBA and was subsequently changed to 125% in the last CBA negotiations) or just wrong.

Don't look at those rules (some of which are correct, making it very dangerous for those who can't tell the correct rules from the incorrect rules) if you want to understand how trades CURRENTLY work in the NBA.

To answer the OP's question, to my knowledge, there is no limit on the number of free agents that can be included in a sign-and-trade deal, so long as the other trade rules are complied with by the respective teams. Also, because a player re-signed at more than 120% of his former salary becomes a Base Year Compensation player, so the more players being signed and traded, the more complicated the deal with get from a BYC standpoint.

1 person likes this.
  5. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Sorry guy's, I didn't bother reading it, I just skimmed through it and saw sign & trade on there(but i didn't read it)....my bad :eek:

--RB