1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[sigh] Longhorn Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Baseballa, Dec 2, 2010.

1. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

I feel for you bro. Why couldn't you get to be here sometime between 1971 and 2004.

I am not big on GG. Not seeing the potential everyone else talks about and he looks bad under pressure. Loses his confidence easily. Also, I havn't seen significant growth from start of the season till now. Seems to still be the guy who lost to Alabama and it's gonna be his third year now?

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Krik Bohls: Texas AD DeLoss Dodds will receive a long extension today of five years and more, meaning it's TV or coaching for Mack Brown. #ut

3. Major

Major Member

I really thought I had a shot. :(

I think Holgorsen runs a spread that goes forward. Greg Davis runs a spread that goes sideways.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fixed

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Barking Carnival gives an update on the search for new OC. Not gonna post the whole article, you can go read it, but will list the names:

Facepalms and Front men:

Mike Leach
    Garrick McGee(Arkansas)
    Jim McElwain(Alabama)
    Mike Helfrich(Oregon)

Better be patient:

David Shaw(Stanford)
    Paul Chryst(Wisconsin)

The "wow" hires:

Bryan Harsin(Boise)
    Gus Malzahn(Auburn)
    Dana Holgorsen(Oklahoma St)

Home is where the heart is:

Major Applewhite
    Dark Horses:

Justin Fuente(TCU)
    Chad Morris
    Lincoln Riley(ECU)
    Seth Littrell(Arizona)

6. Major

Major Member

While I'm not sold on Applewhite right now, I don't know that this criticism makes sense. On one hand, yes, he was a standard drop back passer. But if his tutelate was under GD, all they've done the last many years is the spread. And as far as the running game goes, it's true that they've been a mess of a running team recently, but his experience as a QB was with a traditional running game with Ricky Williams and Cedric Benson. So he's been exposed to both QB styles and both good and crappy running games.

That said, I think they are going to go with a proven OC, and given this disaster of a season, I think that's probably a smart idea. If they get a Holgorsen type, they will probably leave in a few years to be a head coach somewhere, so that would be an opportunity for Applewhite.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think the root of this criticism (based on Scipio Tex's other posts/podcasts) is not that Applewhite wouldn't incorporate spread formations, or a traditional running game, but that he might not go out of his way to utilize and recruit the dual threat QB's that Davis/Mack etc have only done somewhat reluctantly post-Vince (Robert Griffin III being the most notable recent snub).

8. Major

Major Member

Makes sense. My biggest concern about Applewhite is that he would defer to Mack Brown, who is a fairly conservative coach. A guy like Holgorsen is going to bring his system and do his thing. But an unproven guy is more likely to develop an offense that fits with the head coach's tendencies. I don't want Mack molding our new OC. If Muschamp was the head coach, I think a young OC could work much better because he would just say "do your thing. attack. etc."

9. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Good Night Fat Prince!!!!

[​IMG]

10. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

Texas got the #1 recruiting class in the nation for next year. Malcolm Brown is a heisman-potential running back coming in and they got some great offensive lineman also.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Dana Holgorsen(Oklahoma St)

However, Texas has vetted him and found a potential deal breaker. It’s not important you know what it is, just that it gives us pause.

Well, now I have to know. Oh wikkileaks?

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/78267-Let-the-Dana-Holgorsen-bidding-war-begin./page7

"So the rumors of Dana chasing co-ed skirt are true."

"If being rich, successful and ****ing co-eds on blow is wrong - then Lord, I don't want to be right"

"Because he likes to party, he's not an early riser. Gundy let's him show up around 9ish and he works til very late. The rest of the coaching staff is watching film at 7am. He's sleeping it off."

#31 Dubious, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Other than he'll be up for HC jobs, I have to wonder what it is, too.

13. leroy

Did they fire Mad Dog?

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Stay away!

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

rumors (unverified rumors which may not be true) were speculating it was that he was too much of a party animal.

16. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

The current rumors are that it is down to Malzahn (Auburn OC), Harsin (Boise St. OC), and Morris (Tulsa OC and former HS coach of Garrett Gilbert).

I pray they don't settle for Morris.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

You can call it official now: Texas OC Greg Davis has resigned. STC/DT coach Mike Tolleson and O-line coach Mac MacWhorter have retired.

18. leroy

HOORAH!

19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

This indeed is a great day!

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Nice...oh wait! hide yo co-eds...