1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] Why the Rockets are emerging as championship contenders

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Feb 26, 2014.

1. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

http://nba.si.com/2014/02/26/houston-rockets-james-harden-dwight-howard-contenders/

1 person likes this.
  2. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

This is an awesome article. I can barely sit in my cubicle thinking about this damn game tonight!

3. photojoe

photojoe Member

Wow. I love this article!

4. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

Awsome article . I think a lot of the fouls the team draws help us on defense . It's allows the defense to set up on the other side.

5. bratna8

bratna8 Member

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Good find, thanks for posting.

7. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Me three. The Clips have owned us in LA and Houston. We need some get back tonight, let Blake do his thing (give him all the jumpers he wants) and Chanlder must do work on Jamal Crawford (deny him the ball, make him work to get it, and make him play D all night)

8. bongman

bongman Member

What is interesting is that the author's perception is validated by the polling votes. 80% says we are contenders. Don't know if all of those votes are from clutchfans :grin:

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Love the last paragraph.

Thanks.

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Probably not, just watch what happens tonight if we lose to LA. Lol.

11. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I have never heard of this writer, but this article has some really good writing.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Nice article.

13. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Nice read. Thanks for sharing!

14. Fighton

Fighton Member

Good read and good find!

15. Nero

Nero Member

You know, one thing in this article stood out to me, something I never really thought of before: the defensive benefits of FIGHTING for offensive rebounds.

When you have rebounders as good as Howard and Asik, and some of our other guys, even if we don't GRAB the rebound on the offensive end, when they FIGHT for the board, that absolutely does put the clamps on the opponents' opportunity to launch a fast break. And as far as I know, that's not the sort of thing that shows up on any stat (but I bet Morey has stats on it!)

That's an excellent point, and I will be paying more attention to that in the future, to see how it stacks up as a legit observation.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's rare to see a national article that actually examines how the Rockets play. I agree. We definitely lack the "cred" that teams such as Miami, Indiana, OKC, or SA. And we probably are talent level wise half to one tier below them. But we are definitely have at least the basic ingredients to make a run. Whether we can actually do so is still unknown until we actually prove it.

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I enjoyed reading that! Great article.

18. rocketsmetalspd

Those two games were back early in the season when the team was barely getting to know each other. IF the Clippers own us tonight then I so be it but I doubt that the Clippers will tonight. Rockets will make a statement tonight, that they are finally one of the elite teams in the league.

19. Classic

Classic Member

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Really good article. I know it's been mentioned on here, but I think it gets overlooked by the national media. They're now a Top 10 offensive and defensive team. That alone doesn't make them a contender, but it has to at least put them in the conversation.