1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shoulder pain

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by xcrunner51, Nov 30, 2016.

1. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I've been having this low-grade pain in my left shoulder for a few weeks now. At first I just thought it was soreness because i've been carrying a loaded down messenger bag on that side but i've since stopped that and the pain persists.

It's generally just mildly sore at base but i just noticed if i reach across my body and try to bear weight it hurts significantly more, maybe 5/10 at that point. Imagine me picking up my laptop off the night stand to my right with my left arm. That's when it hurts.

Anyone have any ideas? Haven't been going to the gym much or had trauma to that side so I can't explain it.

2. fmp087

fmp087 Member

If there's is a legit injury to that shoulder the first thing you want to do is reduce the inflammation. Try ice or Epsom salt bath. Also, without being able to accurately pinpoint the source of the pain (shoulder joint is complex) you won't be able to remedy the injury/pain.

I'd recommend seeing a chiro. Although they may not fix it, they'll be able to better locate the source of the pain. Hope that helps.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Go to real doctor. Determine the problem. As it is mild the problem can likely be solved with strength training and mobility exercises. Just making a joint stronger can kill pain especially in the shoulder as even people who lift will completely ignore the rotator cuff.

I would say your pain would go away within months if you did these on the reg. Then will come back when you quit.

[​IMG]

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

List of questions: What's your age (if you don't mind disclosing)

Is it tender on palpation anywhere (does it hurt when you press on any one spot?)

Does the pain shoot anywhere? Any numbness, tingling, weakness?

Try the ranges of motion with a google search, flexion, extension, internal rotation, external rotation, adduction, abduction.

The differential for shoulder pain can be extremely broad. Bone spurs from osteoarthritis, tendonitis, impingement, rotator cuff tears, bursitis, etc. Pain can also be "referred" meaning it's coming from somewhere else due to common vertebral nerve segments shared by the nerves, so an evaluation by your PCP is the best thing to rule stuff out. Grabbing the laptop sounds like a rotator cuff motion, try doing the empty coke/neer/hawkins tests as well:

5. SK34

SK34 Member

I was in a similar situation. At first, I tried to just use ice and tiger balm type things to try and remedy the problem.

Then, I went to the chiropractor, they didn't pin point anything in regards the shoulder except that my neck was right and locked up, so they adjusted my spine. Felt good for a day but then it went back to the pain.

Went to Richmond bone and joint clinic, turns out I have rotator cufff tendinitis.

So I'd say, go to the doctor first, figure out exactly what's wrong with it instead of wasting time trying to do it yourself, all you're doing in prolonging it.

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Go see and talk to a real doctor, not the pretend ones here on CF.net.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Go to a physical therapist. They will give you a bunch of exercises that you can do to get your shoulder back to where it kind of needs to be.

8. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

the factors that lospollos have asked are important..

my dad had a lingering shoulder problem for 1+ year, and his PCP recommended him to get an MRI..

the orthopedic surgeon looked at it, and it was a partially torn rotator cuff..

i'd highly advise visiting a doctor and getting an MRI, before visiting the chiropractor and/or PT

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Thanks for all the advice y'all. Sounds like the best course of action is seeing a doctor (no surprise).

I'm traveling in a few weeks to see family and my uncle is an orthopedist, so I'll probably just ask him about it then. Otherwise a trip to the doctor will have to wait until January.

vstexas09 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I had a shoulder injury/minor pain. Certain motions would increase the pain. It sounds similar to what you are describing. I didn't want to go a doctor and kept trying to play sports. It got worse. Finally the pain made it hard to sleep at night. I ended up with multiple partial tears to the rotator cuff. I think it would have been better if I'd gotten it looked at in the beginning. Therapy eventually made it better, but it took a long time. I think that it would have been greatly reduced, if I'd had it diagnosed earlier. Whatever you do, don't try and push through it.

Of course what happened to me could not be related to your situation at all. But it wouldn't hurt to have someone look at it.

11. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Your problem is you're asking a forum full of dudebros who post dank memes, Da Dakota circle jerk threads, and rants about the other guy's politicians... for medical advice.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  12. Granville

Granville Member

You didn't keep your fap hand strong and blew out your rotator cuff.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I am not a pretend Doctor, but you are right any evaluation should be done in person. There are some tests like the ones I mentioned before that can be specific for rotator cuff/tendon impingement etc. You never know, not to scare OP obviously but I saw someone with a pancoast tumor (tumor of the lung that compresses cervical vasculature/nerves) that presented with referred shoulder pain. That is why it is important to go for a proper evaluation through a physician. Your history of present illness, concurrent med condition, medications etc are all taken into account. Doesn't mean we'll order MRIs etc if criteria are not met, but ruling out worst case scenarios is important.

#13 LosPollosHermanos, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    ipaman likes this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

ubigred likes this.
  15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Too vague for anyone to offer any real advice other than go see a doctor...can't you call your uncle and have him give you an idea of what's going on?

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Been going through a similar situation for over a year now with my right shoulder, pain when lifting the arm over my head or reaching behind my back. PCP thought there was a chance of a herniated disc because the pain would sometimes radiate to my hand. Finally saw an orthopedic surgeon this week who diagnosed it as an impingement issue. We'll start with PT and take it from there. But everyone here is right, see a doctor as soon as you're able.

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i've had shoulder issues for a while. It's been interesting in that it has presented at different times as back pain (shoulder blade), shoulder pain, and front-side (pec) tightness. It turned out I did have a partially torn deltoid at one point, but they still haven't figured it out completely. My best guess is that it's pec-related, but I'm still trying to work it out between PTs, masseuses, chiros, and orthos.

I mention all this to say that (a) everyone is right and you should see someone (b) it may not be your shoulder even though it feels like it. It's crazy how connected things are and how pain can be referred

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Could also be that you are sleeping on it wrong.

DD

Bandwagoner likes this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I had shoulder pain last year.

I would have shooting pain if I moved my arm a certain way, particularly if I reached out my driver's side window to use an ATM, for example. I could not straighten my arm over my head and my range of motion was bad. I could lift my arm to shoulder height, but anything over was painful.

My doctor took X-rays and didn't see anything bad so he sent me to a shoulder guy who gave me a cortisone shot (not fun) and prescribed PT. After a few PT sessions it got better and the pain was completely gone after about 3 months. that being said, sometimes my shoulder still feels (for lack of a better word) weird. Not hurt. "Tired" might be a better way to describe it.

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

Same thing happened to me 4 years ago... still haven't fixed it.

Exiled likes this.