1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Washington get rid of Arenas?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Chuck04, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

As the title suggests. Looking at how they have done since Arenas was injured and it is possible to make a case for it. Wizrads are 9-5 without Arenas this season since he went down with his latest injury. Butler and Jamison have carried the team with useful contributions (at times) from Blatche, Stevenson and Haywood. Just looking quickly at the box scores, Daniels also looks like he's averaging around 5-6 assists a night without Arenas in the lineup.

So what could the Wizards get for Arenas? Maybe a perimeter defender (Ron Artest?) or an interior presence (Eddy Curry plus others?) maybe a couple of guys from the Clippers (some combination of Mobley, Magette, Cassell, Thomas...?)

(There's no source I'm aware of stating that Arenas might/should get traded. This is just pure speculation on my part given that the Wizards have actually played pretty decent without Arenas in the lineup and could get something for him)

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Yes they don't need him at all IMO.

Send him to a team in dire need of help like Clippers or Kings.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sometimes when a superstar gets injured he gets a chance to see that others on the team can play well too.

It happened to Hakeem, he went down with an injury and the team won 15 in a row without him and when he came back he trusted his teamates more than ever and it propelled them to a championship the next year.

DD

4. Dei

Dei Member

Arenas is an incredible talent - but a dumbass. The guy still hasn't moved on from his days as an underdog. He got the media love he was asking for, but now that he has it, doesn't know what to do with it. Needs some growing up to be a bonafide superstar, IMO.

Oh, and:

Houston Rockets

Incoming Players
    Photo: Gilbert Arenas
    Gilbert Arenas
    Salary: $11,950,400 Years Remaining: 2
    PTS: 22.4 REB: 4.4 AST: 5.9 PER: 16.42

Outgoing Players: Kirk Snyder, Rafer Alston, Mike James

Washington Wizards

Incoming Players
    Photo: Kirk Snyder
    Kirk Snyder
    Salary: $2,358,433 Years Remaining: 1
    PTS: 5.2 REB: 2.0 AST: 1.4 PER: 13.18
    Photo: Rafer Alston
    Rafer Alston
    Salary: $4,550,000 Years Remaining: 3
    PTS: 8.6 REB: 3.2 AST: 4.9 PER: 12.09
    Photo: Mike James
    Mike James
    Salary: $5,826,893 Years Remaining: 2
    PTS: 8.8 REB: 2.0 AST: 1.9 PER: 11.61

Outgoing Players: Gilbert Arenas

5. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I'd trade him for T-Mac.....without thinking twice about it.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

thank goodness you're not running things. a shot-happy 2-guard in a pgs body? the one and only attribute he's better then mcgrady at is scoring, and that's by a slim margin.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Point guards that take the most shots on the team are always a bad recipe. With Arenas, Washington's offense is isoball with the big 3 taking turns. Without him, they play team offense. Major reason they get killed every postseason.

He's an incredible scorer, easily top 10 in the league. But he's like Iverson - you just can't have a team approach with him involved.

Evan

8. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Good point, although I think Arenas is too stuck up for that kinda mentality. I think he's like the Marbury type that'll always be too egotistical to consider that there are others on their team.

Maybe NJ will pick him up next year if Kidd opts out.

9. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I agree about his ego. But if he can learn to be more of a distributer, he'll be GOLDEN. But if they're trading, I think the trade that makes the most sense would be one for Jason Kidd. However...
    Because of Kidd's age, they'd be screwing themselves over. JK would be best suited to move to a team that is on the cusp of competing. A team with a bunch of youngsters running up and down the floor all night is not the best place for someone who won't be on the team for long. I really can imagine Kidd signing with the Suns for veteran's minimum.

But if they trade Areanas, they need a point guard. Ootah won't trade Deron Williams. New Orleans won't trade Chris Paul. But they won't trade to strengthen the East (not that desperate), and there's not much out West.

10. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Don't tease me!!!! :mad:

11. Dei

Dei Member

Actually, I think a large SG/SF, like Tracy, who likes to run, create for his teammates and score would be perfect for Washington. That team can blitzkrieg even better than the Suns, IMO, with a 2-3-4 combo of Tracy-Caron-Jamison, and implement a motion offense with agile centers in Haywood and Thomas. A mid-level PG(like Antonio Daniels) would be enough to run a team like that.

12. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

worked for GS...ya know when they beat dallas.

I would give my left leg to beat dallas. it's gotten that bad.

13. Top Geezer

Top Geezer Member

it is so funny...last year when washington got swept 4-0 by cleveland...everyone was crying for arenas to comeback...

i just have to face it. most of the people that post on message boards just have no clue about what they are talking about.

14. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

Butler was out too. I have to say, I'm very impressed with him. He seems to be their most important guy, even if he doesn't score the most points.

And besides, if I recall correctly, they weren't really blown out. Some of the games were close and didn't Jamison score like 40 one game? Sigh...I wish our third option could score 30 points once in a while let alone 40. Heck, I don't remember Yao scoring 40.

15. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Apples and oranges.