1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Texans lose the last 2 games....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

....to get good positioning for the NFL draft?

We're already out of the playoffs, so might as well go high in the draft and pick someone who can help this squad.

2. Buck Turgidson

Ask Capers what he thinks. In person, preferably.

Failing that, ask any of the players.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

It seems to me this is less significant than in the NBA. If it were that important the NFL would probably go to a lottery system as well. But always an interesting discussion, and should bring up even more fan loyalty issues.

4. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I just don't know how a coach could tell a player to tank a game and still maintain any level of respect from that player.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I certainly hope not.

6. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

More than intentionally lose, I think we should take a look at personnel who haven't been given a lot of time. Maybe try out some new LBs or DBs in the secondary, give Hollings or even Jonathan Wells a few more carries than usual, etc. It'd be good to get some of the lesser tried players a chance to show what they have in the last 2 weeks of the season. That way, we don't intentionally give up, per se, but we do give ourselves a better chance at getting a higher pick.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If you're hoping the Texans lose, I question your team loyalty.

Football draft position isn't as important as basketball because there are 24 different positions to fill instead of 5. Really, unless there's a franchise QB on the board (which we already have), is there a huge difference in having the 5th pick vs. the 9th pick?

We're going to help ourselves no matter where we pick.

8. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

But with a higher pick, it's also bargaining room to trade down for extra picks. And it wouldn't hurt having some insurance at some of the positions like DL or OL that have been pretty decimated by injuries...

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Word is that Shawn Andrews will be leaving Arkansas early this year and enter the draft. This guy is exactly what Houston needs. He's 6'6, 360 lbs plays OT, and would allow Chester "false start" Pitts to move over to G. Andrews will definitely go in the top-10 picks, so losing won't be such a bad thing.

Besides all the Texans need to do is to put Ragone out there a couple of more times. They've managed 3 points with him in the game during the last 8 quarters.

10. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Geez. We have so many holes, it almost doesn't matter where we draft (we'll be top 15 at the very least). The best LB is off the board? No problem! Draft a safety! The best safety is gone before your pick? Grab an OT instead! I see at least 4-5 of the top 10 picks being skill position players, meaning good defensive line/offensive line prospects will fall into our laps.

Personally, I think the Texans are going to lose the next two, anyway, thereby ensuring a decent draft slot. Hopefully, though, they will NOT go out without a fight! I wouldn't have it any other way.

Now, the New York Giants, on the other hand, are tanking BIG TIME. What a disgusting display of football. Here's hoping they get the next Ryan Leaf for their efforts. Shame on them.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Still having bad dreams about Andrews in the UT game?

I want Sean Taylor from Miami. We need a dominating safety to quarterback the defense.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

life has been good
    i have no complaints

i feel more like a sinner
    and less like a saint

cause i want one more thing
    to make my life complete

i pray that the texans
    beat the crap out of tennessee

i hate the titans with all of my soul
    i hope they never win a super bowl

they are evil
    for up and leaving us

thank you bud
    for the texans

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You had me at hello.

You had me at hello.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i can't take credit for it...it's Chance's song...the name of his band is Pulltab, and you can and should buy their CD...

15. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I wouldnt put Carr out there even if he was feeling ok. I would try our backups and see what they are like in a real game. Just my opinion.........and I still want 1 more win.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

They did that in the last 2 games. Remeber Dave Ragone out there? Carr hasn't played since Buffalo. Ragone is not ready to be an NFL qb. He's getting himself killed by holding on to the ball too long. Mike Quinn shouldn't even be on an NFL roster.

17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Sean Taylor and Andrews are both can't miss prospects. I'd be happy with either one. I'd be ecstatic if David Polley, DE from UGA fell into our lap.

18. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Just....beat....Tennessee. I dont care about the Colts....yet.

19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

My loyalty is fine. I'm a Texans fan for life.

I'm just thinking these next 2 games seem meaningless for the Texans (as a playoff perspective). I think they will try out players who haven't played that much this season to seem what they are capable of.

20. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

That's not really the same as not trying to win. Maybe it could be considered not trying one's hardest to win (since putting the best players on the field would be trying harder than putting in guys with very little playing experience), but it's not trying to lose, either.

Personally, I think they should try their damnedest to win because I think there's an emotional element to it. The Texans next two opponents are divisional opponents who have won every match-up so far against the Texans. Beating either one of those teams could, to me, provide a emotional boost for the team heading into the offseason and in to next season so that next time they meet on the field, they know they can beat that team because they've done it before.

I do think that teams can become snakebitten when it comes to playing other teams. I think the Packers are an example of this. Even when the Packers were arguably a better team than the Cowboys, they'd still lose to them. Even when the Cowboys were trotting out their third-string QB, the Packers would go down in defeat. Even when the Cowboys could get nothing but field goals, the Packers would leave with a loss. I think at least part of that was the pressure that built up with every successive loss. The more times the Cowboys beat the Packers, the harder the next victory was to achieve.

So, even though the Texans are likely to be underdogs vs. the Colts and Titans, I would hope they would put out their best effort and at least make it a close game.