1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Astros pick up Kent's option?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by edc, Sep 16, 2004.

?

Should the Astros pick up Kent's option?

Poll closed Apr 4, 2005.
  1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    15.9%
  2. No

69 vote(s)
    84.1%
  1. edc

edc Contributing Member

$9 million option for the 2005 season with a $700K buyout.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

well we certainly wouldn't get beltran if we picked that up. also as hot as kent has been lately he's not worth that price anymore and he won't be any younger next season. i say no, give the rookie a shot at second.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

nope...too much money.

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

No, Chris Burke is the Astros best prospect and he's going to be 25 on opening day next year. Its time to see what he can do.

At the same time, with the raises Oswalt, Miller and Berkman are due to receive it wouldn't make much sense financially, especially with your best prospect playing that position. Plus, they need all the money they can get to resign Carlos Beltran.

5. edc

edc Contributing Member

The Astros will discover they screwed up with Berkman :( I think he will be back, but he will cost them a LOT more than he would've if they'd given him an extension this year.

Oswalt. Pay the man.

Miller. If he comes back reasonably healthy, I expect him to be the odd man out. Traded next season for whatever they can get for him.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Kent is almost worth that money.

7. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

No. I'd move Biggio back to second., pick up another outfielder, and use the money saved to sign Beltran.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

The way he has been playing most of this season I would say he is expendable, anything to make Beltran and Berkman our future. He has played great the last series. But man....

9. lalala902102001

If not picking up the option on Kent means a better chance of resigning Beltran, I'd say let him walk.

10. Win

Win Contributing Member

Yeah, it's time to let Kent go elsewhere; though to his credit he has been pretty solid duiring his time with the 'Stros. I just think the money could be better spent elsewhere.

11. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

I would love to keep Kent. Maybe move him to play 1st base. Kent has a lot of pop in his bat.
    Send Bags retirement b/c his shoulder isn't getting much better.