1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Neo-Nazis be allowed to march?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewYorker, Oct 16, 2005.

?

Should Neo-Nazis be allowed to march even if it results in violence?

1. Yes - this is American, anyone can express their beliefs no matter how inflammatory they might be

97 vote(s)
    70.3%
  2. No, that's ridiculous

38 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. I don't know

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's the violence angle that is important. There was a cross burning case in the Carolinas where people were trying to retain the right to burn crosses on their own yards as free speech. They lost the case I believe because the other side was able to show cross burning as an act of intimidation and a historic precursor to violence.

2. insane man

insane man Member

absolutely. infact i'd be ok with a bunch of jews walking thru a muslim neighborhood with signs saying 'israel is great. arabs/muslims suck'.

3. insane man

insane man Member

is this a joke? do you have the maturity of a 5 year old? if a cardinal fan is in the stadium tomorrow i'd hope he'd be a real fan and he would scream astros suck. and in return we'd scream st louis sucks and 3-1 and hopefully we'd win and mock him on the way out. thats the fun of it all. screaming 'astros suck' isn't making anyone suffer. granted this analogy might be different in a real scenario but the same rules apply. anyone has a right to say anything against anyone granted it doesn't directly threaten em or incite violence. saying 'your views suck' or 'you suck' is different from screaming terrorist in a new york subway.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

The fact is these Neo-Nazi's are not walking in front of their neighborhood every day. It was just a one time thing.

The slippery slope is on your argument. At what point can the government start cracking down on free speech, and then be viewed as a democracy that allows free speech?

I certainly don't want these people in my neighborhood, as I think they are a bunch of idiots. I also don't those rioters in my neighborhood either as they destroyed innocent people's property and business.

So who here caused the real damage?

5. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

what about signs that said "Jews are superior to Muslims" "Muslims should all die" "Muslims are a disease" "Allah ****ed goats"???

Would you be ok with that?

Please answer honestly.

By the way, I'm not trying to insult you (although clearly you like to try to insult me)...I just want to demonstrate a point, but if anything there is offensive to you, I'll take it down.

#45 NewYorker, Oct 16, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
  6. NewYorker

Cracking down? You mean by saying "No, please don't go into our communities and cause trouble with your hate?"

Boy, that's really cracking down. They as well being hunting every neo-nazi down and putting them in a prison camp in cuba.

#46 NewYorker, Oct 16, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
  7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I firmly believe that these neo-nazi protests probably are designed to incite some type of violent response. That's the only way they would get noticed, otherwise they're basically irrelevant.

That being said, banning these types of marches would set a terrible precedent. For example, MLK's civil rights marches set off violent responses from the local communities in which he and others marched in. I think we can all agree that those protests were fundamental in eliminating blatantly racist laws. Similarly, if a gay rights group marches in a predominantly conservative neighborhood, would you ban that also?

There's a grey area involved with this and cracking down would set a precedent that would justify muzzling groups on the basis of "public safety." That's why the supreme court allowed neo-nazis to march in a predominantly jewish neighborhood in indiana years ago.

8. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Dark oppression? That's interesting that you say that since your POV is to ban free speech and free assembly. I would say that qualifies as for oppression. As far as taking away other peoples right to be peaceful and happy in their neighborhoods there are lots of things that disrupt people's peace. I find Mormom missionaries very disruptful to my peace and find their attempts to convert me very antagonistic as it is essentially denigrating my faith. I've noticed most of my neighbors feel the same way so perhaps Mormom's should be banned from my neighborhood.

You're making an argument for protecting the majority from being bothered by a small but vocal minority. You're buttressing your argument by saying that the majority's counter reaction is violent so therefore the speech and assembly of the radical minority should be banned. If the Constitution worked that way there never would've been a march on Selma.

The Constitution, especially the Bill of Rights, was built on protecting the rights of the minority from the majority even if it meant offending the sensibilities of the majority.

9. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Fully concur, Sishir, this is exactly why I am willing to be 'offended' if such a thing was to take place in my neighborhood, although I definitely won't like it.

Similarily, just because Von Gogh wrote a book that was intended to offend a specific group doesn't mean he 'had it coming' or that he or others should be banned from 'inciting' others through their writings.

As I said, I tend to err on the side of 'free speech'.

10. NewYorker

Actually, you have a majority representing a view that's extremely hostile and intimidating to a minority. I have news for you - blacks are a minority.

And secondly - you're not addressing the fact that this minority is INCITING a reaction. They are doing something with the purpose of creating violence. This was not the goal of the civil rights movement.

I think if something is clearly designed to INCITE violence, then yes, it should be banned.

Any please, don't misrepresent my position. Ban free speech and assembly is not what I'm supporting, - that's just trying to exaggerate something so you can win an argument. Put your ego aside and keep the discussion about getting to a great end instead of winning.

11. geeimsobored

your standard is somewhat arbitrary. Its impossible to determine whether a group is intentionally inciting action or not. During the civil rights movement, protesters were advocating the unthinkable, namely massive new civil rights guarantees that the majority simply didnt want to grant. Nonetheless these protests calling for radical change were vital to our nation.

However, banning nazi protests would set a crazy standard. These neo-nazis are calling for radical changes that a majority of us find and definitely should find unthinkable. As terrible as they are, sadly banning them would set a terrible precedent. The gay rights example above is a real world example that would be unthinkable under your worldview. That conservative neighborhood they might be marching in may take a call to gay rights as offensive and may even interpret that as inciting a violent response.

Its impossible to objectively decide what protests do and dont intentionally incite violence. I mean even the black panthers still march through neighborhoods with AK-47s and no one has complained about them yet and I think that may be a greater call to violence.

12. NewYorker

Advocating gay rights doesn't compare to advocating the killing or demotion of an entire people. You can't see how one is inciteful to violence and the other is not?

Look, our society has no place for pure unadultered hate speech. It's one thing to make a racial slur on television, but hate speech goes far beyond that.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If people are willing to land themselves in jail because of hate speech, then PC has gone over the line.

Proliferation of hate sites have increased over the internet every year. You can't supress these bigoted ideas. Amending the 1st would make it worse.

14. NewYorker

Perhaps not, but people should be able to sit in their front yards without having to deal with it ya know. I don't think you'd have to change the first amendment to say directing speech that's clearly hateful and de-nigarating toward another human being is a misdemenor. The consititution is protect free speech and expression yes, but it does not entitle people to act like animals.

15. geeimsobored

If governments were granted the power that you want them to have now then george wallace wouldve shut down every civil rights protest on the spot legally. (He did it anyway but that was ruled illegal) Now that you look back on it sure you can say that what MLK did was fine and completely different from neo-nazis but people back then wouldve had a harder time making that distinction because to some the changes MLK wanted were as radical as the changes Neo-Nazis want.

To some gay rights is a call to violence. My old neighbor was a nut who thought that a good gay person was a dead one and its people like him who really might be incited to violence if a gay rights protest came near him. There are always nutheads out there who will interpret any protest to be a call to violence and its a good thing that we don't listen to those idiots or the right to assembly would go down the drain.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think they should be allowed to march, but only in Compton, and they should not be allowed to bear arms, and the people in Compton around them should get a lot of arms, and the law should consider the march a provocation that allows any kind of violent self-defense. Let's see these "!§!%"&% march, then.

17. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

SJC, do you ever run into Neo-Nazi youths in Germany? Are they punks to everyone or just those they hate?

I once sat next to a man on a plane who was a Neo-Nazi leader, and he seemed like a decent person. From my conversation with him, I was shocked to hear of some alliances with various ethnic groups you would never think, would even talk to them in the first place. Kind of opened my eyes to the whole race relations thing they got going in Europe and now in America.

But I don't think anyone would be interested in hearing Neo-Nazi ideology here.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No, I don't. There are very few, and they are scared when alone. Only when they are in groups, they act like the rats they are.

Neo-Nazi and "decent person" are mutually exclusive.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I guess I'll skip Jazz and Yankees visits to save myself a fine. :D

20. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Let them march. I just don't see why people go there and yell at them etc. They are just giving them the attention that they are looking for. It would be better if everyone just completely ignored their marches. Have them parading around for absolutely nobody.