1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Neo-Nazis be allowed to march?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewYorker, Oct 16, 2005.

?

Should Neo-Nazis be allowed to march even if it results in violence?

1. Yes - this is American, anyone can express their beliefs no matter how inflammatory they might be

97 vote(s)
    70.3%
  2. No, that's ridiculous

38 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. I don't know

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate Tyco Corp
    Kick Tyco out of our state.
    Wipe Tyco from the face of the earth.

Let them sue for harassment. Free Speech doesn't cover harrasment.

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Did you by chance own stock in Tyco?

3. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Try again. Think about something that FBI, for instance, would be all over the demonstrator.

4. Major

Major Member

Just as bad, or worse yet, it would encourage violence in an attempt to ban free speech. For example, a pro-choice group could start responding with violence when pro-life groups march, and in effect get the pro-life marches made illegal because they incite violence.

5. Major

Major Member

What problem do protestants have with the National Rifle Association? ;)

6. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Good point Major and I recall some groups have actually done that.

7. twoface723

twoface723 Member

8. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Are you actually saying that Cardinal fans should be allowed to hold a rally at Herman park? How about giving them a parade as well? I think the ridiculousness of that scenario shows how ridiculous it is to allow a white supremist group to have a parade in a black neighborhood.

Secondly, what these neo-nazis did in my mind amounts to violence. It may not be physical, but it may actually be worse. It goes beyond being offensive, it's down right oppressive and cruel. And frankly, the organizers should be held accountable for inciting a riot.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think I agree. Imagine a Neo-Nazi day at the local Holocaust Museum. Perhaps a "free speech zone" could be constructed for groups like these. If they can do it for people protesting a war then they can probably rig one up for Neo-Nazis.

10. NewYorker

If a group wants to do something peacefully, it can easily do that. These neo-nazis could have had a conference someplace, they could have gathered in a park in an area more tolerant of their views.

No - they intentionally choose an area they knew would likely lead to violence. It's this kind of behavior that's abusing privledges and should be stopped.

11. Sishir Chang

You're making my point though. Cardinal fans in Houston aren't inherently advocating violence but just an unpopular POV and you seem to be saying you wouldn't allow it. You're showing exactly how the safety angle can be abused to limit peaceful free speech.

Granted Neo-Nazis advocate violence but then again so is anyone who believes that the US should use military might. The point is that the First Ammendment isn't there to protect widely accepted speech. It is there to protect groups and individuals to express such inherently unpopular views as that US society is corrupt and the government should be overthrown.

#31 Sishir Chang, Oct 16, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
  12. Sishir Chang

Where is an area that is more tolerant of their views? As I said before free speech protects unpopular speech. Following Cardinals fan example would you ban Cardinals fans from going to see game 5 at Minute Maid Park and cheering the Cardinals? That's public property and its very likely that vocal Cardinal fans will be in the extreme minority at MMP and that many Astros fans will be angry at Cardinals fans cheering at MMP.

Once you start moving the line on banning free speech and assembly it becomes a very slippery slope.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, they did. They felt very strongly about it, because they were the ones prohibited from free speech during the period leading to the Revolution. We shouldn't be so cavalier about throwing away the protections and freedoms they fought so hard for. Our ancestors were revolutionaries. Sometimes people in America seem to forget how we became what we are. They are often quick to denounce those who hold a minority opinon that disagrees with their own. They sometimes forget that freedom of dissent, regardless of how distasteful they may find it, was of paramount importance to the founders of America.

Keep D&D Civil.

14. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

"Hidey-Ho, Neighborinoes! Heil Hitler!"

15. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I second that. Despite their views, let'em do whatever they want, as long as they follow the law.

IMO, there is more blame on those who responded with violence than the Neo-Nazis in this case. They were baited and they fell for it, this is exactly what the Neo-Nazis wanted: attention.

16. tigermission1

I completely agree it's an absolute abuse of our civil rights, but I just think it would be a dangerous slipper-slope if they are banned for holding a twisted, minority view that might offend other people. I tend to err on the side of free speech.

That's just my personal view though.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I have heard this before
    but honestly
    If someone shot that f*ckers I would not be surprised
    I'm getting to the point where marches like this

are closer to yelling FIRE in a THEATER
    than
    the a speech on flag burning

If yelling FIRE in a crowded area is not protected
    I am wondering if this should be . . .

It seems more to incite panic, anger, and violence than anything

Rocket River

18. NewYorker

Yeah, and you know what, soccor fans for different teams aren't allowed to mix - why? because it causes violence! If Cardinal fans came to our park and started calling Astros fans losers every five seconds, you know what, they deserve to be banned from the game. Why? Because they are not only cheering for their own team, they are antagonizing those around them under the guise of freedom of speech. They are using a priveledge to make others suffer. I guarantee you that if you sat next to the guy who every time an Astro hitter swung an missed or a pitcher pitched a ball and he yelled "Astros SUCK!" you'd do something about it right? I would.

And let's get something straight, the Neo-Nazis were trying to INCITE violence. Their aim was to cause violence, not march peacefully. That's their way of stirring up trouble. It's the equivalent of crying fire in a theatre - it's a peaceful thing to do, and hey, should one be responsible for other people's panicked reaction?

If you allow these guys to march, you are allowing a kind of dark oppresion that's twisting a consitutional right to take away from others ability to be happy and peaceful in their own neigborhoods - and that's something that the consitution was built on - the principle of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

#38 NewYorker, Oct 16, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
  19. tigermission1

I completely understand that sentiment. But I don't know, I am just wary of supporting censorship of any particular view.

20. NewYorker

Would you welcome them in your neighborhood? What if they walked right in front of your house? What if they decided to do that everyday of every hour?

At what point does the slippery slope get used the other way and turns into a tool of oppression and harrassment?