1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[shooting] El Paso Walmart scene of active shooter

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Go to Home Depot and buy a broader brush. Quick!

Newlin and donkeypunch like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

Saw there was a shooting at a Walmart in louisiana. But I’m not sure what’s fake news anymore

4. Sajan

Sajan Member

[​IMG]

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Could just be a normal shooting. There's a reason why there's a saying among LTC holders.

Always. Carry. In. Walmart.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

“thoughts and prayers” is such a cliche at this point

every mass shooting we get a bunch of “thoughts and prayers” statements and posts like that’s actually gonna fix anything

every time I see a politician utter that phrase or post something to that effect on social media, I just roll my eyes...yeah, u can go ahead and keep those thoughts and prayers and get to work trying to find some sort of solution in order to prevent these senseless acts from happening so often

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Khou out here really trying to sympathize the killer."El Paso killer was lost and hungry". That's the title now.

macho GRANDE and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

So what stops this behavior? An agreement to ignore it on social media and in the news? It's essentially giving these guys a massive motivator to go out and shoot people to be the story of the day/week. If they're off their rocker and considering suicide, it's an easy sell for them. Does it take every adult being strapped and shooting anyone else who draws in a crowded area? I certainly don't want to increase surveillance and police and decrease our freedom. Heartbreaking.

9. Sajan

Sajan Member

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Thinking that these guys are doing this for fame and notoriety is a bit naive. Not calling YOU naive but the actual thought is naive. They are doing it because 1. They have access to the tools needed to carry out their plan and 2. They are fueled with hate. Most of these shooters don’t even survive after the mass shooting because they eventually get shot and killed once police arrives. So any fame they think they’re going to get is going to happen after death and lasts, what, a week? I honestly can’t remember any of the shooters’ names from the last four mass shootings.

When our country/society/culture keeps pushing the “me v you” or “us v them” mentality it’ll be hard to do anything about these tragic events.

Deckard likes this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

I am seeing this floating around.
    This cannot be accurate, can it?
    I suspect it is outdated at best

Rocket River

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I’m not sure what to think about that graphic. I don’t watch local news, but my age group easily watches the most local news, according to that. I don’t watch it because it’s nothing but a litany of fatal car wrecks, murders, and the like. I’ll turn it on if there’s a tornado watch, etc., but just for the weather. I might watch some network news on Sunday, but it really isn’t the news. It’s a lot of talking heads talking. Sometimes it’s interesting and entertaining, and often it’s stuff I already know, or saw somewhere else.

I watch a bit of network news from time to time, just to see how good a job they’re doing, more if there’s a catastrophe, or a major story of some kind that’s getting serious coverage. I watch Fox the least. It’s nothing but GOP propaganda, but I’ll watch a little to see what spin they’re pushing. My news comes from a variety of sources. I’m a news sponge. Honestly, I’m not sure I buy that survey.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

If you think that sensationalizing any sort of behavior doesn't encourage it, I suggest you do some very basic reading on human nature.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Here's another chart

Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 9.30.08 AM.jpg

Deckard likes this.
  15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Your original statement that getting attention was a "massive motivator" and I'm saying that it's not. I never said it didn't encourage the behavior or didn't help in a minor/secondary/tertiary way. I was just saying/implying it's not the "massive motivator" or primary reason most of these guys are doing what they're doing. If they're targeting a specific group (whether it be minorities or homosexuals) I doubt it's for attention/fame; it's probably because of downright hatred and ignorance.

Xerobull likes this.
  16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Always relevant.

donkeypunch likes this.
  17. Sajan

Sajan Member

I have no use for local news and I certainly don't watch CNN/FOX news.
    I want to say 10 years ago when iphones weren't popular, you tuned in just to see what was going on. Or if something crazy was happening, you left CNN on in the background. But this was also when I used to have cable and even watched sportscenter just to see 1 min of rockets highlights.
    All these channels now are just polluting peoples minds and taking very polarizing stands on things.
    Like you said, it's not news anymore, it's just opinions of talking heads.

My source of weather = https://spacecityweather.com/

Deckard likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not a big gun person and wouldn't mind a revision to 2nd Amendment. However, from this graphic, it seems the assault weapon ban may have helped a little as there appears to be only a slight decrease in average deaths versus the number of deaths preceding the assault weapons ban. However, since it has been revoked, the death tolls have skyrocketed. This makes me think the driving factor is not the availability of guns, but something in human behavior that makes mass killings more desirable for those that carry them out.

If against guns, pursue a change to second amendment, but don't mention mass shootings. If you have to mention mass shootings, don't be specific. If you love guns, please don't shoot anyone unless in a life threatening situation.

#98 Joe Joe, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This one aligns to my suspicions more than the previous
    the difference was too stark on that one

Rocket River

Deckard likes this.