1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[shooting] El Paso Walmart scene of active shooter

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Aug 3, 2019.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

It is unreal to me that you think one shooting has happened in Europe in 2019. To be that out of touch with the world around you....this took me all of 30 seconds on google.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-05/04/c_138032160.htm
    http://www.italianinsider.it/?q=node/7922
    https://www.thelocal.fr/20190729/french-police-hunt-gunmen-who-killed-three-including-bystander
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/france-brest-mosque-shooting_n_5d150738e4b07f6ca57a3510

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Apple and Oranges. Comparing those to the mass shooting in El Paso and Dayton is blatantly ignoring the scope of those 2 events. The use of assault rifles and body armor (in Dayton). Gangs killing each other is not the same as going into a Walmart and shooting up the place. Driving 600 miles to do so.

Eric Riley likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Meanwhile...

conquistador#11 likes this.
  4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Totally agree, but that's what the tweet Yung posted did. As I said. here is what they used for their US numbers:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2019

Including such events as this: 'A man attempted to use a gun to demand methadone, then killed one and wounded two before being killed by police in a shootout.'

They obviously weren't applying the same rules when measuring other countries.

Thank you for making my point.

Astrodome likes this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Trump is attacking the internet right now. The new video games.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

you're so disingenuous I wonder if you even realize it.

Eric Riley, Deckard and BigM like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

Does this help?

[​IMG]

8. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

We are losing to Yemen, MAGA.

9. Sajan

Sajan Member

Ok let me clarify my earlier post.
    I merely just wanted to point out that you just need to double check "facts" and stats posted on twitter.
    If everyone wants to ban guns, then I am all for it. It doesn't affect me either way. I don't own one and don't plan on getting one. If no guns make this world a safer place, then let's do it.

#69 Sajan, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  10. NewRoxFan

I don't want to ban guns. I don't own any (my father gave me a Remington 30/6 rifle as a child, never shot it). But I also believe guns are too easy to purchase, some guns shouldn't be sold at all, and some people should not be allowed to purchase guns. I also believe some limits on types of bullets and clips is reasonable. None of the above ban gun, all seem to be favored by the majority of Americans, and all seem to be reasonable legislative approaches to the gun problem.

btw, that is a random fact. Random, and irrelevant.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The internet IS a problem.

These guys radicalize in the same places almost every time.

Eric Riley, Cold Hard, King1 and 2 others like this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

are we the only country with internet?

I know one thing, we are the only modern country with loose gun laws. We allow access to the most dangerous weapons to anyone who's only prerequisite is that they don't have a felony on their record.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No but we are the only country that has this festering sub-culture PLUS access to weapons.

In the last month there was a dude who kidnapped an instagram girl, chopped her head off, filmed it and put it on one of those sites and they cheered him.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

First, the topic is "mass shooting", not just shootings.

They are clearly stating the definition "at least four victims" in the article, your example has four victims? So I don't really understand why you babble about this not being a true mass shooting.

None of the cases you posted had at least four victims, which is the accepted definition of a mass shooting.

It is pretty hilarious how aggressive you are going at the list and me when you are the one who can't understand a simple definition that wasn't anyhow invalidated in any of your examples.

R0ckets03 and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

#TopMinds

16. Buck Turgidson

WTF???

BigM likes this.
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

To be that out of touch with the world around you.... lol

Good luck getting through to that clouded brain yung t

18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Its weird to me that people always line up for the blame game. Cite statistics. Argue about it....

I think there are two root causes that aren’t necessarily the blame people seem to need.

1 is responsibility. Gun ownership is a right, one I would intend on keeping but it’s a responsibility...same as I would consider free speech a responsibility. Just because you can say something...you have to maintain, educate and keep safety in the highest order with gun ownership. Personal responsibility, not law or government reach, needs to increase where gun ownership is concerned. I believe this because I practice it and I’m as certain as certain gets my gun ownership will include zero misuse of guns.

2 is simply the golden rule. Treat people how you wish to be treated. Getting your head blown off in a Walmart by a lunatic probably isn’t it. That sounds overly simple or off base but I believe it’s the truth. Down to the simplest acts, saying thanks, holding doors and so on. As a society we seem to have encouraged and embraced negativity. We tear people down relentlessly. We’ve turned the greatest social connection ever made into a forum of pissing contests, so much that even the truly maligned have to prove and justify their strife and struggles. We have fostered an atmosphere that breeds hate of all varieties. It’s not going to be specific enough for probably most people but I believe it all the way down to the very core of me. If everyone started small and kept building on act s of selflessness, kindness, positivity, etc. we would see a shift unlike any other. One that reaches well beyond the scope of gun violence. We are oftenthe only thing standing in the way of ourselves.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

KHOU news is low key racist. Day of the shooting their main picture was a border patrol vehicle. What does that have to do with the shooting? Also, all these petty thefts they like to report on their main page when it's a minority. Black guy stole a dog, Hispanic guy stole a cookie.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

the only people that watch local news are boomers. Boomers watch what they want to see and racist is on the top of their concern. Whatever makes them feel happy that they moved to the burbs.

Eric Riley likes this.