1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shooting at congressional baseball game

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Jun 14, 2017.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Arlington isn't home to many actual Congressmen from my experience. If you work in DC (especially the hours that they do) you will want to avoid commuting from VA as much as possible (switching lines is bad enough, let alone driving). Staffers live in VA because it's more affordable. Arlington County has a lot of wealth in it because if you want to set up shop as a business or organization that has/needs government connections, its about as close as you can get to DC without actually being in DC. A lot more business friendly there, lower taxes, cheaper/more abundant/modern real estate, and so forth.

3. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

I know that, ultimately, these types of things (needlessly and insanely tragic) are the consequences of pretending that there isn't a top-heavy "principle" of governing through monetary influence as opposed to public welfare that has been at work for decades.

The most devastating thing that has happened to our governance in the past twenty years was the Supreme Court's decision to legitimize the use of capital in our democratic policies. "...Money is free speech..." is not good. Lobbying the Federal (and also state and local) government for legal favors and deference in regards to business practices has always been a part of government, and disproportionately so even then...

...but as a nation of laws, to give the practice not only latitude, but legitimacy through legal means, has been (and will continue to be) ruinous and calamitous to our social order.

The literal (now in legal terms) formation of an oligarchy.

The only thing that can happen is to rid ourselves of liberal or conservative viewpoints and recognize that at some point, we must establish and promote and enforce laws that regard the least of us as much as the "best" of us. Capital (money...or economics more broadly) is not designed or intended to do any of this.

The classic "haves-vs.have-nots" arguments have become paramount in our political discourse, because we value practically everything else over one another. Some deserve, and others do not deserve...and the line is drawn not on individual merit but on economic station.

A "Christian" nation, I would believe (unless I'm woefully misinformed on my protestant Christianity) would understand and recognize the danger of attempting to serve two masters -- greed and self-sacrifice-- would be doomed to failure.

Godspeed to the health and recovery of the people harmed in this attack.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Crazy lunatic . Glad everybody will recover . That being said, 99% of the time one of these loonies will be a trump supporter/confederate flag wearer sort of individual. Just sad to see the neo-con posters on here resort to such childish tactics..

5. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I've never seen a rocket attack or suicide bombing in the US. I've seen plenty in Middle East.

6. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

That's an insult to millions of Marxist insurgents worldwide. You are hurting Ho Chi Minh's feelings!

B-Bob likes this.
  7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is a satirical article........or.......is it.......

8. TheresTheDagger

Everyone (I include myself) needs to take a step back and decide if we aren't all helping to create this atmosphere where someone would consider doing something like this. My only response to this is to apologize to any of my fellow clutchfans members I've ever offended using overly heated and offensive rhetoric here and to pray for the victims and their families.

This has to end.

9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The loonie in washington a few weeks ago is screwing up your percentage. He was also a Bernie lefty. ANTIFA are also leftists hitting people with locks and what-not. Where are the 99% of the trump backing attacks? Mainstream media hiding them? BLM isnt innocent either.

Dark Rhino likes this.
  10. Dark Rhino

Dark Rhino Contributing Member

Good job linking to the 99.9% part. How about looking up the actual fact rather than posting your bs guess?

Astrodome likes this.
  11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Good post.

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. I apologize to everyone especially NRF, dan darotik and fchowd. I would definitely have a beer with any of you cats.

Hakeemtheking and B-Bob like this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Maybe Onion is hoping that life imitates art imitates life imitates art?

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Good post and really agree.

I think it can end if we can avoid assuming the worst of one another, and failing that, we at least need to keep seeing the humanity in one another.

Some politicians and some media outlets, on both sides, benefit by pushing us away from these basics though.

15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Really good post.

The political climate in America has been as hot as I can remember. It is up to the potus, congress, state houses, governors to dial down on the rethoric. Physical violence from the extreme left and right has become almost commonplace and expected. People need to understand violence is not acceptable and will no longer be tolerated.

We need a reset.

16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Touche! Not gonna bother. You win. Open carry is good! My mom and sister both have 9mm's now! For real! No gun training. Trust me: it's a great thing.

#116 sirbaihu, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  17. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Wow, you're pathetic. To even try to pin this environment of hate on Trump is absurd.

How bout the media and the Democrats pushing the fake Russian collusion narrative down the public's throats for over 7 months? With not a single shred of proof found despite an 11 month FBI investigation and 5 month congressional investigation? How bout prominent leftists like the former AG Loretta Lynch calling for blood & death in the streets? Left-leaning artists and celebrities portraying the killing of the president?

Surely none of that plays into these consequences?

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

When the right has been using violence to push their agenda, they should expect that they will get a violent reaction.

It is not the right one, but again, I expect a lot more of this going forward unless there is some actual compromise and solutions being offered that help the masses and not the 1%.

This is just typical history unfolding, has happened every time in every nation state when too few control too much.

DD

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is the environment he and his supporters have created. They asked for violent reactions to people even in their own campaign speeches, don't be surprised when you get what you ask for.

The morons that blame the media are not looking deeply enough, the media is just doing their job, they are following what Trump is doing, the problem is not the people blowing the whistle it is what they are blowing the whistle about.

Trump has created this whole negativity - a divisive campaign - begats a divisive reaction.

You want to push off the LBGT community, or isolate black people, don't be surprised when the majority rises up against you.

Not sure how you can call it a fake collusion, when members of his cabinet had to resign - Flynn, and others recuse (should be held for perjury) Sessions, and Trump has been served as a person of interest.

Just because you don't like the message - does not make it untrue.

DD

Rashmon likes this.
  20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Calm down. This is the same type of anger that worries us. The neo-con hate logic is so far out I don't know what to say. Everybody on here is a person before they are a republican/dem etc. Most importantly, they are rocket fans.