1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shooting at congressional baseball game

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Jun 14, 2017.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

im reading the baseball practice was at 5:30 in the morning. who the hell would join that team?

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's an odd question for someone to ask in Bumblescum Mississippi.

It's not an odd question for someone to ask in DC, where political group gatherings are commonplace and politicians are (somewhat) celebrities.

3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

So this was all by chance that he found a congressman?

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yes, the objection I anticipated.
    As I said, I am a native of the area and was born about 2 miles away. This is bullshit if you think the parks are full of political packs.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If the guy could shoot straight. He had clear shots at very close range on unarmed people and got zero kills.

They all headed for the dugouts and found cover and the cops came in 3 minutes. Thank God this loon didn't know anything about guns.

justtxyank and Dark Rhino like this.
  6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

We're not even sure that the person who approached Rep. Desantis is involved.

I can easily see a scenario where a bystander would ask a question like that, however.

"Hey, check that out, the Congressional softball team is practicing over there..."

Curiosity, and such. I've literally been the curious bystander several times since I got here, so it's not that hard for me to imagine it.

And then there's the obvious --- if a guy was plotting to kill multiple Congressmen at a baseball field at 6AM on a weekday, I'm pretty sure he had done his research beforehand and knew who was going to be there.

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

"Hey, check that out, the Congressional softball team is practicing over there... What luck, I was just looking for some Republicans to shoot, and, by sheer luck, I got a congressman!"

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I'm not arguing it was a random event. The exact opposite, in fact.

I'm arguing that it isn't all that strange for someone to ask a question like the one posed to Rep. Desantis, and so we shouldn't link that anecdote to the shooter until/unless we get more evidence.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Definitely not a random event. Clearly the GOP congressmen were the targets.

Whether the man who asked the question was actually the shooter is unknown.

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

What is the part in your video at 0:30 when he says "I would think that would have been staged"?

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'll bet it turns out that either a) that didn't actually happen or 2) if it did, the guy is totally un-involved.

It really sucks that this had to happen at what was probably one of the last truly bipartisan activities these reps participated in.

On another note, it's kind of fun to make fun of the news coverage whenever something like this happens. It always makes me laugh when they cut to a reporter on the scene and he's excitedly talking about what he sees right now and he's getting his big break...and then they abruptly cut away from him mid-sentence for someone more important.

I saw them talking to one reporter who supposedly had a big update to report. The "update" was the the shooting appears to be a deliberate act and was NOT accidental................

B-Bob likes this.
  12. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Bullshit, violence isn't "mainstream" on either the left or the right.

Nook likes this.
  13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Bullshit, violence is more mainstream in the USA than anywhere else on earth. We've already seen that websites are using a shooting as an occasion to advertise products. Bet you saw some violence on American TV last night. Bet America killed some foreigners yesterday. Bet some American murders happened yesterday that we didn't even hear about, coz they are too unimportant. . . .

edwardc likes this.
  14. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I still wanna know what "I would think that would have been staged" means at 0:30 in Donny Most's video.

15. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

You're not talking about the same thing I am. Within America, violence is not "more mainstream" for people on the political left or right. If it were, the stronger case would be for more violence on the right, since they are the ones who tend to fight for unfettered access to firearms and other weapons.

Nook likes this.
  16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

OK, I see your point.
    There's another type of mainstream violence, which is our daily consumption of terror.
    And, what does "I would think that would have been staged" mean at 0:30 in DonnyMost's video?

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Shooter looks like a loon, as expected.

#57 ima_drummer2k, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    B-Bob likes this.
  18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

19. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe it is good thing that the left cheated to get Hillary in. Some of these Bernie supporters are crazy as heck.

(I know, some Trump supporters are crazy as well)